Superline alternative

It’s funny how we sometimes live in the past, I got the Linto on release and from memory it was around £1,000 - it must be good I think to myself as it would now cost a lot more. Flawed logic I suspect but opportunities to A/B are few. I tried a £1,000 Chord Electronics phono stage and was unimpressed, but the funky lights more than anything were simply a distraction. I’m sure it’s a good product but it didn’t trounce the serviced Linto (Class A).

1 Like

Yes heard one a few times and it is very good and so it should be at over £17000.
My first superline was great with my rega/rega turntable/cartridge, but the rega aura was better.
Then with the smc/dynavector drt xv1t, the tron seven gt was better that the aura.
Now with the thales/exquisite st, the tron just didn’t sound right, tried a few different phono stages as i have posted, but the superline with its loading arrangement ment that after quite a few home made resistant loading plugs, i finally found what i liked and will soon have a supercap dr to run it, got the cables ready and i might have to play once again with resistors again maybe.

But thats why i have returned to the superline, well atleast for now lol

1 Like

The Lejonklou Enitity 1.1 is stupid good for the price. 1600 British pounds.

Here’s a link to a review if it’s allowed :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Good luck! The MG-1 is something special, an SG-1 I imagine would be amazing. @Bluesfan recently upgraded their MG-1 with the Tempo power supply too.

If you’ve not already seen it, there is a nice video of Touraj explaining the difference between the platter bearings in the MG-1, SG-1 and RG-1:

1 Like

Graham Slee Products makes an excellent line of phono stages.

3 Likes

Yes, I’ve been watching @Bluesfan 's tt progress with great interest! I hadn’t seen this video. Very interesting, thank you.

1 Like

Have a Whest PS.30RDT special edition arriving tomorrow. ‘Pre loved’, so not cost the 4.3k they were when new and a current model.
High hopes based on everything I have read.
Will drop some thoughts in due course.

2 Likes

I can’t tell how the Vertere phono compares to the Superline but I heard the SG1 recently with the top specs cables and motor supply, the Mystic and the SG1 arm, into top FM acoustics electronics.
It was sounding good, but I was a bit disappointed with the sound for a 40 k deck. Yes, 40 k. The little Vertere phono, the 2k Mystic cart, and the SG1 tt costs that. It’s unbelievable. Overpriced.
Like the Linn Klimax Lp12, which costs 30 k today.
I don’t say Linn or Vertere sound bad , not at all. But honestly, 40 k for the SG1 pack! For that money you can have a Kronos Pro with a 5k phono and 5 k cartridge. Or a Brinkman Balance with a top phono and cart.
The MG1 with standard cables was 7 k one year ago. Today it’s near 10 k.
I could hear it at dealer place. Nice deck, well made. But a SMPS to power the motor. I am glad to have bought the P10. Clearly more involving. I don’t understand all the fuss with Vertere honestly, as with Linn.

Kronos Pro. Same price as SG1, without cart and phono.

Hi FR, could you explain the 40k?
In the UK it’s about £16.5 for the SG-1 turntable, £3.5k for the arm, £2k for the Mystic cartridge and £1k for the phono stage, so about £23k in all.

Perhaps the prices are higher in France or we are using different currencies.

£23k is still a lot of money though for any vinyl front end.

Best regards, BF

I know beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but that Kronos is a difficult thing to love.

5 Likes

And all to spin discs that often aren’t perfectly flat anyway or have off centre holes.

2 Likes

… and to dust!

2 Likes

I was at the Vertere/ FM Acoustics show. The full specs SG1 was shown at 42 k euros. It was the new motor, ps, and top cables.
Don’t get me wrong. It was sounding very good. But 42k….not.

1 Like

I agree, not my look too. But the level of engineering for similar price is something else.

If you select Black finish, arm, top cable, new top ps, ….you have 44 k euros. The entry SG1 is 19 k euros.

As you’re in Japan you need the DS audio ES-001 Eccentricity detection stabilizer!

I am not sure that many turntables are exactly sculptures, or who employs the best engineering, but we buy them for sound. Asking as someone who has never heard a full-far SG-1 or a Kronos Pro, how do they sound?

2 Likes

A full fat LP12 is a wonderful thing, as is the SG-1, its bigger brother the RG-1, the Kronos or even the SME 20.3.

They all sound wonderful yet different. Either fly blind and choose on faith or do what I did which is to audition them and choose the one that suits you. My money went on Vertere, you may prefer the Linn, both are good choices (I’ve thoroughly enjoyed 2 LP12s over the years and the Klimax version is better than either of mine)

Best regards, BF

2 Likes

Ciao Dunc, how do you compare in performances point of view rega p10 with superline with Thales ? I’m a huge rega fan but I deserve enormous respect for graham tricker who was literally in love with Thales and tw….to my curiosity did you propose you an audition of tw gt2?

Rega P10 with the apheta3 cartridge is a bargin in my view, obviously it works very well with the superline, but i felt it was slightly better with the rega aura, as its all designed to worked together and i liked what it all did. Never got to compare against the thales as i had a sme20 in between.
But you can find all about my opinions on the turntables if you do a search.
As i have said i have gone full circle back to a brand new superline and supercap, for the reasons i have already mentioned