Superline/nac282 + 2 HC DR

Hi everybody
What do you think about a superline powered from nac 282/ 2 hicap dr vs superline/hicap dr - nac 282/hicap dr?

I never tried two HCs but I did try using the hicap for the superline after the 282 was powered by a supercap and fairly quickly boxed up the hicap to keep in reserve. AUX power had more coherence though a bit less obvious detail.

I have the setup with the superline on a dedicated HiCap DR with a 282. I assumed this would be the one to prefer, if you want the best from your phono as a source.

To be honest I have not tried the other set up, so I can’t say what difference it makes to the vinyl playback. Maybe I will try one day, but not really keen on changing, unless other chime in and convince me to give it a try! :blush:

Like Yeti when I had a 282 with two HCDRs, the Superline sounded better to me using the AUX power from teh 282 rather than using Superline/HCDR. Similar situation when using the 252/SuperCap/Superline; liked the presentation better when the Superline was powered using the 252 AUX power port than the Superline/HCDR combo.

I could try a third hicap for the superline, using the two dr hicaps for the nac 282.
I will try to use the aux2 input anyway, without any external PS on the superline, as suggested by Yeti and Geofiz …
thank you …

It seems pretty common, Richard posted repeatedly about it as well, at least with 252 and 552.

The 252 and 552 aux2 feed to a Superline is from dedicated windings and regs. I don’t know if this is the case with the 282 aux2.

One could of course prefer the aux2 presentation with the Superline when using two HiCap DR on the 282 anyhow, but I’m not sure the aux2 on the 282 works the same way with dedicated windings and regs as on the 252 and 552, as those are meant to have the Supercap or the 552 PS as power supplies.

Would be interesting to know how the 282 aux2 architecture is implemented in relation to 1 or 2 HiCap DR as power supplies for the preamp.

From the FAQ

NAC282:

Upgrade 1 socket powers the left channel: 729 input filter stage and tape buffer off one regulator. This regulator also powers one side of the aux2 output (for the right channel of a stageline), gain stage off the other regulator

Upgrade 2 socket powers the right channel: 729 input filter stage and tape buffer off one regulator. This regulator also powers the other side of the aux2 output (for the left channel of a stageline), gain stage off the other regulator

I agree with you, I have the same doubt.
Maybe someone from the naim staff can clarify the matter.
I think it’s better to add a dedicated PS to the Superline.

I’d want to try both ways snd then choose my favourite.

Ok thanks for your support.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.