Superline Service Quandary/Disappointment.😮‍💨

It’s doesn’t even make any sense, indeed, when I first read it, my initial thought was “PR spin”. How can a design issue that prohibits a service on three of Naim’s top classic series products only suddenly be discovered literally more than a decade after they have been in production?

2 Likes

I’ve not opened it up to look, that’s from measuring with a meter when trying to track down a hum on my PTP, I had the motor plate earthed to the plug but the bearing plate and arm grounded to the superline. and that was the resistance between the two. My 552 is currently grounded via the post on the back to the earth pin of a plug while my ND555 is away.

While the superline was away I borrowed a 1:26 SUT to use between SPU Century and a Stageline N and I’m still using it. On the SPU Century with the Stageline powered from the 552 I preferred it to the superline/supercap before and after Naim had modded it.

Hmmmm, yes, understand that sentiment.

In fact, on that idea, I’ve been doing my own independent thinking on this topic too. See a few posts back, copied below…

It’s been slowly dawning on me this issue may have been brewing for a while. So suspect your idea is correct.

No doubt the service department has been doing a heroic job - quietly getting on with an operational requirement to provide services for these items - but at the same time reporting difficulties.

One can only imagine there has been a trigger point - maybe only recently - that has caused a policy decision and the very swift action, to curtail any further “liability”.

Whilst that might be viewed as a good outcome for the supplier, it’s not a good outcome for the SuperLine customer. Surely, a more balanced outcome would be to offer some mutually acceptable alternative. Such as a rebuild, replacing whole board, at a reasonable price.

1 Like

I don’t think so - see my earlier post.

I’m sure that will come in time after Naim have been able to fully review things.

Worth repeating here that any necessary repair work on NDS and Superline is not affected and continues as per normal.

We understand that Naim can fix faults with NDS and SL.
What we are, as you also found when struggling with, is that they cannot undertake servicing on these items. And this is something Naim has advocated is undertaken every 12 to 15 years.
With SL, I expect the early models have hit this 12-15 year point. And hence revealed this latent design shortfall.
The service team has clearly struggled to work on these PCBs, not because of their skills, but because they have been presented with an item that was not designed to be serviced. And not helped with early versions of the PCB being brittle. They quite rightly have now said no to any more servicing of these items.

Sounds like Naim is now having a review regarding the serviceability of their current and former products.
We look forward to the output of this review.

2 Likes

Hey guys
Come on … I am a little ashamed what is going on here. Especially with all the speculations on Naim turning to the dark side. There is not a slightest hint. And also they are very very experienced - and know what they are doing. Once again - will never ever forget @NeilS 2o clock in the morning support! Where do get this?
Why should there be a sudden change in the way the service is going (e.g. for SL). When over the years you experienced a 50/50 chance to do it without replacement of full pcb - one day you have to pull the plug.

Please let us get back to music and to what we have :star_struck:

5 Likes

Listening to my SL as we right !

3 Likes

It may be that stocks of PCBs that were originally substantial have been gradually eroded by damage incurred during servicing. The difficult decision to stop servicing is necessary to safeguard the ability to repair units going forwards.

1 Like

As NDS was produced in 2012, I don’t think many have sent it yet. But it’s time now.
The disappointments begin.
One member posted above that he recently serviced his NDS and observed a better sound.
I will have to take a decision in 2 years. Nd555 or another brand.

2 Likes

An equally valid assumption is that modern JIT manufacturing techniques are in place at Salisbury.

So working with PCB suppliers, that hold the layout designs and make boards - on request from Naim - in modest batches (maybe 20-30-40) at a time. Naim then populate boards and assemble into finished items.

But, in any case, even allowing for a renaissance with SuperLine, past 12 months, doubt if they make many more than 20-40 in a year. So buying boards for this item may well actually be on the scale of 20-30-40 boards, as and when required.

The JIT philosophy requires that inventory is kept to a minimum and stocks are not held if not required.

Triggers are put in place for stock levels, so when stock reaches a certain level, say just 10 left, an order is placed for another 40 boards. (Maybe even go into a larger order - with other boards - to get better pricing across a larger volume with the PCB supplier).

Beyond EOL, an item goes into “service life” and the Naim service dept still continue to source boards and components in a similar way. That’s modest size batches to suit forecast needs.

In the specific case of SuperLine, it is still a current item in production. So a supply of the main PCB will not be a factor in this current situation.

If you look at the inside of a SuperLine, it’s remarkably simple. The simplicity is part of its appeal. It has a main PCB board, connected to the various external terminals on the rear panel. Also secured to a brass sprung chassis. It’s comes off the chassis with a few fixings.

The topic in discussion - here in this thread - is the difficulty replacing key components, maybe 30+ capacitors, without damaging and replacing the main board. Which has 100+ components and all the wiring loom attached. So the main board is all the electronics part of this product. There is also a significant mechanical part, quite a lot of material in sprung chassis and its casing, etc. Mechanical damping and isolation is part of its design.

Surely the solution is to offer the customer a rebuild, or to replace the whole board, at a reasonable cost. Surely that is a more mutually beneficial outcome for both parties.

2 Likes

I’ll assume that Naim owns the IPR for the SL PCBs. In which case, get a price to make some more? I’d be happy to buy one, just in case. They really can’t be that much to manufacture.

3 Likes

Made me smile
We’re kinda on the same wavelength ( again)

How’s the SuperLine sounding?
R

I don’t own a SuperLine, but have read this thread with interest, particularly since speculation turned to the serviceability of the ND555. However, since there are PCBs available for production units, why not ask for a complete replacement board when it’s due for servicing? If that’s prohibitively expensive, then I suppose the choice is either to buy a brand new unit or look elsewhere.

2 Likes

Exactly :+1:
Even do that at a reasonable price ( acceptable for both parties)
Seems so simple doesn’t it

1 Like

SL sounds different to my cyrus phono sig. Better mids at the expense of mid bass ?
I run it straight from aux 2 on my 282 ( with 2 Hicapdrs). So as long as the 282 is powered, so is the SL.
It is connected with a regular black naim snaic. So some opertunity to change this and improve. Happy to spend my service money on a decent cable !
Loaded with AirPlug 576R and 1nF.

1 Like

Real opertunity to naim to fix this " shortfall in design" at no cost to them.
Offer a pcb replacement if the current one breaks during service. Just be clear about prices and risk up front.

2 Likes

Great that you’ve figured out what to do with z-foil air plugs :+1:

If you ever get a chance, try the SL with separate HCDR external power supply.

( in our house, we’re fortunate to have four HiCaps : HC olive; HC2 ; 2x HCDR).

So, are you thinking to change I/c to HiLine or alternative better cable ?

Happy listening
R

Ill raise you a Hicap ! Ive actually got 3 olives and 2 drs. Although one is intended for my daughters ( mine really) 72/140 just not found its way north yet.
But i dont have a 5-4 cable.

5 pin snaic wise, id be looking to spend about £450ish. Obviously pre owned brings better value.

1 Like

This will certainly change the second hand market for Naim equipment. Anything older than 10 years will be much more difficult to sell. I will certainly avoid anything old and also it will stop me upgrading further unless I think I will keep something for ever. I do hope that the result of the review that Richard mentions leads to a change of mind - even if it leads to a change in pricing in servicing to assume, for instance, a new PCB will be required for a Superline. I would think otherwise the damage to the Naim brand will be quite significant from this change as it undermines buyer confidence. Buying any equipment at these price levels implies a deep commitment by the manufacturer and this changes that dynamic.

6 Likes