Superline Service Quandary/Disappointment.๐Ÿ˜ฎโ€๐Ÿ’จ

Sorry FR, I donโ€™t know the electronic internals well enough to advise here. One for Naim, I feel.

1 Like

On a positive note.

Anybody with the skill required to remove the caps without damaging the the PCB, will be able to pickup a Superline for very little money in a few years time. :blush:

1 Like

Not easy though, I used to do a lot of desoldering and recently did battle with a post ROHS device and at best it was a draw, I had to bridge a broken track in the end to get the blighter working again and Naim wonโ€™t be doing that level of bodge I hope.

So my dealer has been on the case today. They got a slightly different story from naim, but along the same lines. This is what they told me.

There is a shortage of certain parts.
Desoldering is difficult.
Pre 2010 pcbs can break during the service work.
SL is no longer a current product.
My dealer has never had to return any SL for a fault. They just donโ€™t go faulty!
Fabulous piece of kit.

2 Likes

I had an issue that my dealer and I thought was likely the Superline so it went back to Salisbury for service and repair.
A fault couldnโ€™t be found (because it turned out to be the cartridge in the end). The main board was replaced and I have to say, it sounded better than it ever had before.
So yes, get it serviced if you can.
Or are Naim saying service is no longer possible?

2 Likes

Last line answer. No.

1 Like

Same for me, I sent it back to Salisbury for a service last year and it was returned with a new PCB. As for you, the sound quality was significantly better.

1 Like

My SL is 2016 so ok for a bit, I hope. Does Class A still offer service? Apologies if the answer is up thread and I missed it.

This isnt helping !:frowning:

Class A no.:-1:

1 Like

@Thegreatroberto

Thanks!
(Oh dearโ€ฆ)

Sigh

Enjoy it while you can.

2 Likes

Beginning to wish Iโ€™d never seen this thread
:woozy_face:

2 Likes

Iโ€™ve been wondering about a Superline for some time as Iโ€™m not sure Iโ€™ve ever been convinced by my ancient Linn Linto, but I honestly donโ€™t know what else Iโ€™d consider these days, and even auditioning a Superline would probably have been tricky without travelling long distances.

Not in a position to splash out on a new phono stage at the current time, but it would be a shame if itโ€™s no longer even made.

Wasnโ€™t/is there a new phono stage for the new fangled post-classic series - I thought there was going to be one.

Times change but sadly the new kit as good as it may be just doesnโ€™t have the appeal older items did when there was long term compatibility despite redesigns.

The NVC-TT is the New Classic phono stage. There are posts on here about their relative merits, some from Naim staff

2 Likes

Thatโ€™s the Solstice phono stage derivative is it?

1 Like

Wonder if they tried to desolder that?

Fewer awkward looking capacitors in it, to this untrained eye!

1 Like

Same guy that designed my SL !

Not heard it but have been told by someone whose opinion I trust that it (NVC-TT) is inferior to Superline.

3 Likes