Superline Service Quandary/Disappointment.😮‍💨

Sorry FR, I don’t know the electronic internals well enough to advise here. One for Naim, I feel.

1 Like

On a positive note.

Anybody with the skill required to remove the caps without damaging the the PCB, will be able to pickup a Superline for very little money in a few years time. :blush:

1 Like

Not easy though, I used to do a lot of desoldering and recently did battle with a post ROHS device and at best it was a draw, I had to bridge a broken track in the end to get the blighter working again and Naim won’t be doing that level of bodge I hope.

So my dealer has been on the case today. They got a slightly different story from naim, but along the same lines. This is what they told me.

There is a shortage of certain parts.
Desoldering is difficult.
Pre 2010 pcbs can break during the service work.
SL is no longer a current product.
My dealer has never had to return any SL for a fault. They just don’t go faulty!
Fabulous piece of kit.

2 Likes

I had an issue that my dealer and I thought was likely the Superline so it went back to Salisbury for service and repair.
A fault couldn’t be found (because it turned out to be the cartridge in the end). The main board was replaced and I have to say, it sounded better than it ever had before.
So yes, get it serviced if you can.
Or are Naim saying service is no longer possible?

2 Likes

Last line answer. No.

1 Like

Same for me, I sent it back to Salisbury for a service last year and it was returned with a new PCB. As for you, the sound quality was significantly better.

1 Like

My SL is 2016 so ok for a bit, I hope. Does Class A still offer service? Apologies if the answer is up thread and I missed it.

This isnt helping !:frowning:

Class A no.:-1:

1 Like

@Thegreatroberto

Thanks!
(Oh dear…)

Sigh

Enjoy it while you can.

2 Likes

Beginning to wish I’d never seen this thread
:woozy_face:

2 Likes

I’ve been wondering about a Superline for some time as I’m not sure I’ve ever been convinced by my ancient Linn Linto, but I honestly don’t know what else I’d consider these days, and even auditioning a Superline would probably have been tricky without travelling long distances.

Not in a position to splash out on a new phono stage at the current time, but it would be a shame if it’s no longer even made.

Wasn’t/is there a new phono stage for the new fangled post-classic series - I thought there was going to be one.

Times change but sadly the new kit as good as it may be just doesn’t have the appeal older items did when there was long term compatibility despite redesigns.

The NVC-TT is the New Classic phono stage. There are posts on here about their relative merits, some from Naim staff

2 Likes

[quote="gthack, post:155, topic:36556, full:true”]
The NVC-TT is the New Classic phono stage. There are posts on here about their relative merits, some from Naim staff
[/quote]

That’s the Solstice phono stage derivative is it?

1 Like

Wonder if they tried to desolder that?

Fewer awkward looking capacitors in it, to this untrained eye!

1 Like

Same guy that designed my SL !

Not heard it but have been told by someone whose opinion I trust that it (NVC-TT) is inferior to Superline.

3 Likes