Superline

Hi Richard, do you run your Superline from the 552 aux2 with your RP10?

Some say doing that “compromises” the other 552 inputs although I suspect that may not be true. Interested to hear your experience on that.

I’m wondering whether to upgrade my Aria now that I have the wonderful RP10 in play and the options seem to be Superline or Aura but I’m loath to have another SC to power a Superline (space restrictions as much as anything). So perhaps powering a Superline of the 552 aux2 might be a good idea.

1 Like

I’m using a Non DR Supercap on my Superline. The 252 has a Supercap DR. Would the Aux 2 fed by a Supercap DR get close to a Superline powered by a non dr Sc? Or put another way, am I missing a big trick not having a DR SC on the Superline :thinking:

1 Like

If you feel like a trip up the M5 you are welcome to listen my RP10 etc.

Phil

1 Like

Dave, yes I do. Yes, I’ve heard that too, but it 's not a concern I’m particularly worried about as the other line level inputs still sound great. I guess it’s all relative and if you’re after the last few percent of performance it probably does pay to not have the AUX2 connected - a bit like not having phono cards fitted to the earlier pre-amps if you weren’t using them. Even if digital was my primary source and I only listened to LPs very occasionally, I still wouldn’t worry too much about it; the NAC552 was designed to power a phono stage through the AUX2 socket and still sound great through all other inputs.

1 Like

I’ve listened to my 552 both with and without the Superline connected and can hear no decernable difference or impact to the other inputs. Naim seem to have their earths all figured out and if connecting strictly Naim equipment I don’t hear much change. However, if I connect my Bluray player to the 552 there is a slight drop in quality on the other inputs. Similar to the effect you get from switching between a floating or chassis ground, so I assume it’s either an earth integrity or low cost switched power supply that’s causing the issue even though it’s not on my dedicated circuit?

2 Likes

Thanks Richard and Geko; that’s helpful insight.

1 Like

I’m currently using Superline connected to AUX2 on NAC252. More than happy with it. It is more coherent than when powered by HiCap, from my experience.

1 Like

Thanks for all Ur comments guys good read n v interesting much appreciated :grin:

My experience is very similar to Geko. I don’t have superline (yet!), but run a Stageline from Aux2 on my 552. I’ve tried listening to my NDS with Stageline connected on Aux2 and with it disconnected, completely out of circuit and I can’t reliably hear a difference tbh.
As a point of discussion, I’m assuming that when I’m using the NDS, the phono stage is presenting an almost negligible load on the 552PS if it’s just in idling mode and not actually busy processing a signal ?

OK I think I’ll revisit the aux 2 into the 252 until I get the superline… Just to clarify its just the grey interconnect into aux 2 isn’t it :thinking:

While using the stageline… :grin:

Just the SNAIC5.

1 Like

Awsum thanx Richard :grin:

Well I’m trying aux 2 again last time I tried it I’m sure I used the grey cable Richard said use the snaic 5 haha guess it sounds better… :grin: Thanks again n I’m happy with it until I can get a superline… Definitely more detail n clarity… I loved the hicap dr into the stageline… But now I’m using the correct cable… :grin: :wink: Aux 2 sounds v good… Dying to hear a superline now

1 Like

I do think that with an RP10, and 552, you can do better than Aria. I was running RP8/Aria/552 and slotted in a 2008 vintage Superline. Powered via Aux 2. Superline very noticeably improved over Aria; it removed a lot of glare that I didn’t really know was there until I heard it gone!

2 Likes

Got to agree with bart above, get yourself a second hand superline and run it off the 552, or if you really want to, jump up to the rega aura, as thats what i did.
I used my superline with a supercap but thats a very expensive way to go with all the gear you need and i dont think its worth it these days, but if you can stop yourself at just the superline, then for the money these go for, they are great value

Yep. If I decide to upgrade the Aria it’ll either be a Superline or the Aura.

@dunc where did you come out, ignoring shelf space and price, on Superline + Supercap vs Aura?

Both my superline and supercap was second hand, along with the highline and zfoil plug, but it all added up to be the same price as a new rega aura. Like i have said if you can get away with running from your pre amp and you are happy with that, then it makes a fairly cheap phono stage, its when you start to max out its performance that it stops being that and then really you should look around at other ways you could go.
But there is no getting away from it, if you have a nice rega tt and more importantly rega cartridge then adding rega’s reference aura is a match made in heaven and i think you will find it very hard to beat.
Plus i like the way it looks and matches the P10 power supply, it also doesn’t need leaving on as it takes 10 minutes to fully warm up, great as i dont always play vinyl and most importantly it just sounds so wide, clear and detailed and total quiet.
Apparently they have been selling very well like the new P10 and like me quite a few have traded in the superline and switched over.
But as always you need to try for yourself as thats the only way

Using a 252, I found the performance increase from powering the Superline via a Hicap far outweighed any perceivable benefit of powering it from the 252.