Superline

But just sonically . . . what did you hear. Leave out cost, appearance, time to warm up, etc.

(I’m still hoping to get an Aura on loaner; haven’t hit up my dealer about that yet but given they seem to be manufactured on demand, and there is a lot of demand, finding a loaner may be impossible for at least a while!)

Bart, the sound just goes much wider, the extra detail is easier to hear, it just works so well together.
I did read that the naim 100r is not a true 100r? Dont know if thats true, or if it would make a difference that you could hear, but its just the way its all made to work with each other, makes the difference. It like when you match a 500 amp with a 552, it just comes alive more than when you run a 300 with a 552.
Find a deal that has one on demo and if they wont lend it out, take your superline to them and do a demo there.
I dont know whereabouts you are, but you are invited to come to mine if it works, but need to go through richard to arrange that.
Dont think it matter if i say i am in the middle of the country? If so remove it please

I’ll let you know soon; for very little money I’ll have a 100R Airplug Z-foil that I can A vs B compare to the stock 100R plug. Can make my wife listen blindly :slight_smile:

Count d
I thought that the first time I tried it… But this time using the correct cable that Richard told me made a big difference… I thought I was missing bass aswell but it’s cause it’s more controlled I reckon n it seems to go deeper n definitely more detail n coherent… Liking it a lot without the hicap dr… N now looking forward to hopefully get a demo of the superline and a separate supercap as well :grin:

What kind of cable did you use the first time? SNAIC5-type is the only one that works at all, cause it’s the only one with fitting DIN plugs and transporting power and signal.

1 Like

Possibly a grey SNAIC5? The later black one is an appreciable step up in performance.

2 Likes

Yep I was using grey snake 4/5pin from hicap dr and the snaic 5 between the hicap n stageline… :flushed::flushed:

1 Like

I’m very keen to hear the understand benefits of the Superline from you current users. I’ve never been that happy with my current phono stage (Attwood concert stage + PSU - quite rare these days) and am thinking going Superline very soon. Is it really transformational?

I have a pretty high spec LP12/Ekos/Lingo/ATOC9 into a 282/SCDR/250DR system and its currently being seriously outperformed by my CDX2/XPSDR.
I think the phono stage could be the reason.(the Attwood was an upgrade from a stageline which I really didn’t like at all)

As I understand it I can power the Superline from the 282, but its an expensive beastie! I’m looking for more detail and excitement that is usually commensurate with Naim, but is a bit lacking in my current analogue set up.
Ideas? Comments?

Numptyhead, which OC9 do you have?

@Numptyhead I’m not familiar with the Attwood sage but the Dynavector P75 MkII was a massive improvement on the Stageline for me. And then the Superline was a similarly big step up from the DV P75. I used my Superline on a 282 with a non DR Supercap, all bought pre-loved and I’d say the total cost was in the region of £4,000 which is considerably less than what it would cost new. At that point I felt it to be fair value (it’s all subjective of course) Not sure I would stretch to the full cost new though. There may be better value options now.

I went from a Stageline to a Superline with a Linn Krystal and thought the difference was pretty massive. Everything just opened out, the image width, depth and separation was much better. It all sounded so much more natural and musical. I have to say I was a bit shocked as I thought the Stageline was already good and doubted that the Superline was much better. However, I was wrong. The other big plus is that you can get a Superline at a very reasonable price nowadays.

1 Like

I did the same as @Geko.
My impressions were much the same. I had thought the Stageline very good, but Superline…Excellent!

Then I put a Supercap 2 on it…
:smiley: :clinking_glasses: :smiley:

Very happy.

2 Likes

I had a Michell iso with my own, somewhat larger, transformer in place of the plugtop originally supplied with it. I’d used this for a couple of decades with my Rock and a Rega 300 and DV17D2, the same deck and cartridge Tom Evans used when developing it though Tom had an Excalibur arm. I bought a CD5x and this was showing my TT setup to be sounding quite dull in comparision. I happened on an exdemo 1 year old superline when I when to buy a hicap for my 282 which I’d been running from a flatcap 2x. The superline came home and stayed, even power by the flatcap via aux2 it was a good step up from the 20 year old iso with more body to the sound. The TT was still a bit on the dull side and there was a bit of Radio Moscow breaking through with the superline but it wasn’t enough to be heard over music. My next trip to buy a hicap resulted in a 1 year old Aro for £950, this livened things up no end and now the CD5x was well in the shade so it was thge Rega that was the biggest bottleneck, maybe the earth mod would have helped, I’ll try it one day, maybe. I did eventually get the hicap and then a supercap.
One thing I didn’t try was to keep the hicap on the 282 and put the supercap on the superline, having now run the superline with a supercap into a 552 that’s something I would try if I reverted to a 282 for any reason, whether it would stay like that I really don’t know, I do quite like the 282 with a hicap, I find it a nice balance but a supercap on a 282 can do things to the bass that a hicap can’t.
The Radio Moscow problem vanished when I put the system on Fraim Lite, figure that one out.

Thanks for the fast responses my friends. Appreciated.

Richard - I have a pretty new OC9 - I think its a version 3? As a Naim user for umpteen decades I’ve always been an Audio Technica fan as the AT “sound” seems to mirror Naim for its speed and boogie factor. I’ve had lots of ATs down the years but my concern is that my trusty LP12 is being seriously trounced by CD for the first time ever. I don’t understand that as its never happened before. The LP12 was serviced about 6 months ago and its just hasn’t been operating at what I think is its optimum. The Linn is very old - bought new circa 87 - but always serviced and upgraded and is my favourite piece of kit because it has always sounded so musical and such fun.

Budget is no problem here as I will buy new if necessary. I have a record collection that stretches from here to there and back again and it certainly deserves the best!! I would like to keep to an all Naim system for obvious reasons but I guess my concern is that as I really didn’t like the Stageline (the only bit of Naim kit ever that I thought was pretty mediocre) I want to be convinced that the Superline is a bit of a game changer.

I really don’t think you’d be disappointed. I took a punt on a good deal having never heard it. Very happy I did,

Hmmm…sound like something amiss with the LP12? My LP12 is still quite low spec compared to some. 1989 vintage, no Circus or Core upgrades just and Aro and Armageddon. With the Superline now fitted it can give my CDP555 and DR’d PS a good run for its money!

1 Like

^^^ Loving that “just” an Aro and an Armageddon!!! :-))))

1 Like

Numptyhead, thanks. I was just concerned if it was an original - would be way past its best by now. anyway, I think you know what the answer is here. You’re going to have to scratch the itch with the Superline. Try to get a demo if you can. And if vinyl is still not doing it, well, you’ll know that something’s not right with the front end

Well, another BENEFIT of our lovely forum here. A forumite who lives only a few towns away saw these posts and has volunteered to let me bring his Rega Aura home for a test drive! I hope to pick it up this coming weekend, or shortly thereafter perhaps…and I can make my wife do the blind test AGAIN. This time the 2008 Stageline via Aux2 on the 552 vs. Aura. Truly :sunglasses: cool!

6 Likes

@Numptyhead I know you say the deck has been recently serviced but when was the Lingo last serviced? Is it a mk 1 from the early 19990s?