Superline

Brilliant Bart! What a stroke of luck. Look forward to hearing what you think.

Christopher - that’s a very good point. It is a Lingo 1 from the 90s and I didn’t know they needed servicing. As far as I can remember its never been serviced. My dealer does the usual LP12 things - belt, suspension etc but don’t think he touches the Lingo. Do other LP12 users get their Lingos serviced too?

I have a booked a demo of the Superline with my dealer who has already offered me a very generous PX deal on my current phono stage. I’ll report back but thanks to all for interesting suggestions.

I haven’t got one but I understand from what I read here that they do. Class A in Sheffield can do the job and recommend on their site that it is done every ten years.

Not quite sure how your dealer has overlooked this tbh.

Yes, by all accounts getting your Lingo serviced can have quite a beneficial impact. On the other hand…maybe upgrading to the Lingo 4 or Radikal could be the answer :sweat_smile:

Two thoughts from me. Does your LP12 have Cirkus? Secondly, your dealer may have a pre loved Urika1 for not much money if you were thinking about changing your Lingo 1 for a Radikal (yes I know it’s easy to spend other people’s money!).

Also extremely interest in your findings Bart. Have you also tried a Superline?

Hi @Dunc, looking at the Aura specs on the Rega website it gives mm dimensions of:

H435xW350xD88

This must be incorrect although how Rega can allow that to go on its site is beyond me.

Assuming the dimensions are correct - just put in the wrong order - I think it should read:

H88xW435xD350

If so then the depth of the Aura is more than the depth of Fraim glass shelf (340mm). I think the feet should all be on the glass but there will be an overhang with that depth.

I was wondering whether you could confirm what the correct dimensions are!

Also I’m conscious you don’t use Fraim so perhaps someone else (e.g. @Filipe) might weigh in!

Many thanks

David

I made a ‘mistake’ with my imitation Fraim glass and ordered 400mm deep! I did mean that the Aura fitted on nicely. Maybe the mistake has other benefits too!

Phil

The size is right and the feet are roughly 20mm in from the edge to the front off the feet and also the rear.
I have 350mm deep glass and it fits on that fine with loads to spare

1 Like

I’ve sold my Aria and have purchased an unused 2016 Superline (staff build) which Mark Raggett’s son is very kindly delivering to me tomorrow along with a Snaic5. I’ll power it off the 552 aux 2. Let’s see what it’s like. In my set up it’s a cost effective upgrade as I’ll site the SL next to the NAT01 HU and the fact that I don’t need a new power line or interconnect is good. In fact, with the sale of the Aria, the, now redundant, Chord Chorus Reference and Couple 2 interconnects and the Rega reference mains cable it’s very cost effective.
Of course, in time, I have the option to add a SCDR to power it.
I’m sure the Aura is a great stage and I know @Dunc will probably tell me again that it’s a slippery slope etc! but, apart from the cost benefit, I’m also conscious of the Naim philosophy of keeping noisy power supplies away from the sensitive circuits in the phono stage; something that the Aura doesn’t have and may have nagged on my mind.

2 Likes

@NorfolkT Let us know how you get on.

Phil

Will do Phil.

Why did you jump after ages of praising the Aria.

Phil

I wasn’t aware I did spend ages praising the Aria Phil?

It’s a good stage for sure. I think a super match for the RP8 / Apheta but I reckon the 10 warrants a better one. Hopefully the Superline is that and I’m sure the Aura would be. I’ll find out soon enough…

So after extensive demos have ordered a new Superline - no contest against outgoing phono stage. I went for new because my dealer offered me such a good PX deal. I will power off the Aux2 on my 282 for now, but will no doubt upgrade to external PSU in the future. A much more cohesive and “Naim-like” sound.
Although my dealer will do the install - I am a bit confused about the res/cap plugs that fit in the back panel. Richard - is there a recommendation for the right combination for an AT OC9?
Furthermore my dealer researched the Lingo 1 service as others kindly pointed out on this thread, and its very reasonable at £125. So I’ll do that later when the Superline is run in. It will be nice to have my 1987 vintage LP12 operating at its optimum again. I have to say that’s its aged a lot better than me.

1 Like

I’m not sure about the best load setting for the OC9. I would guess somewhere between 100 and 600ohms, so try out the different plugs and also experiment with adding a touch of capacitance if needed - 1nf can sometimes keep things nice and quiet and also take a little sting off the very top end - as always, experiment for yourself and go with what you enjoy most. When you’ve found a place you really like then investigate getting an Airplug as an upgrade.

1 Like

My mistake – I own a Superline; I typed Stageline.

1 Like

Dave i am not going to say it all again lol, plus you wouldn’t have to worry about power supply in the aura, anyway the way the naim gear works, it sends the single in the same cable as the power back to the power supply, always found that a strange one, apart from the 555 power supply that is

1 Like

It was quite stunning to listen to RP-8/Apheta2 with a Superline after swapping it for the Aria. A totally different experience; I described it as a very significant reduction in what I think of as “background glare.” The music stands out far differently and better, with a much more neutral background, with the Superline.

2 Likes

A brief dip into the old form came up with this:

https://forums.naimaudio.com/topic.php?oid=46478586949680946&coid=159503632588889

There is some disagreement but try a 1nF if 100Ω isn’t quite there on it’s own or you can combine resistors in parallel by using the cap socket for a second one. If you ignore the internal 10k resistance and assume the values on the plugs are their resistance it’s easy enough to calculate from 1/R = 1/R’ + 1/R" where R’ and R" are the nominal values of the caps you are combining. This gives you approximately 91Ω, 83Ω and 69Ω for a 100R combined with a 1000R, 500R and 220R respectively.

If the superline is new it will settle over a few weeks and the best sounding load will drift a little (downwards I found) so don’t go ordering a Z plug too soon.

1 Like