Superlumina cables

As with many things in life. I don’t drive a Porsche for instance. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

Haven’t driven any of mine for quite a while lol.
Just a suggestion as you could get a full loom for your system for a fraction off the cost, and lots have, thats all.

1 Like

no worries

1 Like

Tee hee!

There seem to be a lot of ‘less than enthusiastic’ dem’s of the Superlumina din/xlr’s compared to the din/din interconnects. However, I seem to be one of those people that thought the change was even greater with the din/xlr’s than the interconnect. These further re-enforced all the qualities you get with the interconnect i.e. a much more natural and realistic sound with far better timing. It’s like they just uncork the 500’s true capabilities, which is then magnified again with any DR’ing.

The SL din/xlr tend to go in last after the din/din and speaker cables. This might explain why their effect appears to be less than the first SL additions.

The degree of impact for me was in line with the sequence of installation, i.e. the din/din with the biggest impact in first, the speaker cable with a little less impact in second and the din/xlr possibly the least impact installed last, but with a sense of synergy and completeness that comes from the complete loom.

Just a theory.

2 Likes

Madcap theory.

Not madcap, just expensive!

The Fez !

Same here, but in my case it was the speaker cables that went in first, and really made a big difference (as did the huge discount my dealer was offering at the time.) Trouble is, the DIN interconnect did nothing for me at all, so I was happy to leave it at that.

I’m getting a little confused regarding SL cable requirements for a 500 system. I’m tempted to go down the secondhand route but don’t want to buy the wrong thing due to lack of understanding.

There seem to be two options for the 500 interconnects (the top two in the list below) but they have vastly different full retail values. The last in the list is 5 pin din which I’m presuming is correct.

4 Pin DIN to XLR Pair (1m)
00-010-0163
£3,439

4 Pin DIN to Mono or Stereo XLR (1m)
00-010-0145
£1,729

5 to 5 Pin DIN (1.5m) (no 1m option?)
00-010-0144
£2,019

My dealer will knock off around £1500 from the full retail for items one and three in the above list, obviously very generous. However as secondhand cables are available with around £2000-2500 off and have the added bonus of being broken in could someone please advise which are needed or possibly better suited.

(part numbers and prices included for clarity. )

1 Like

You need a pair of mono 4-pin DIN to XLR leads to connect the 552PS to the NAP500. You’ll also need a 5-pin DIN interconnect to connect a source component to the preamp. Your retailer sounds very favourable - the one I use in Bath never deviates from full retail price.

Hi @Clive , thanks for your help.
Just to clarify, I’ll need two of the second item in the list and then the third item to complete the SL loom with the previously purchased SL speaker cables?

I think you need the first item, a mono pair.

You need the mono pair for the 500/300 amps. They have the same colour markers (Red - Right channel, Green - Left channel) on them as the standard supplied leads.

Thank you both I’ll start searching again online.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.