Supernait 2 not doing it for me

I am a nait xs2 owner and have pondered the move to the supernait 2.
Not that I am not loving everything about my xs2, just thought the supernait 2 would give me MORE of the same.
Your post has now left me wondering whether is would be a bad move, thank you

1 Like

I would try to get one on loan if at all possible, I much prefer xs2 to the s/n I have.

Keep trusting your ears as you seem to be doing. I’ve learned people can vary quite a lot in terms on what hifi they enjoy - it’s not just audiophiles vs music lovers. We music lovers vary a lot more than is given credit for - just think Linn vs Naim or Olive vs Chrome Bumper but it’s much broader than that.

Having said that due diligence is also important but you seem to be doing that too. Comparing it to another SN2 seems logical. Hope you find a way forward one way or another.

Thanks Murmur, I just want my foot to start tapping again.

I have another idea, as you seem to have a dealer who may be able to loan a few pieces for you to try. My second system sometimes benefits from upgrades in the main system, so the nait XS2 which was bought for the second system now has a HiCap DR on the pre and a recapped NAP200 as power amp. So very little of the nait left but it is the important bit that gives the sound signature. The 200 gives the speaker a bit more welly and scale…

Just a thought/option. Good luck, hope you get it sorted to your liking.

This is strange, I felt my SN2 sounded much more in control, more effortless than the XS (not XS2) it replaced. I had a CD5XS at the time, and it sounded better with the SN2. It was only the itch to upgrade which made me get the CDX2.

1 Like

The Nait xs 1 that I had was indeed very involving…

And I do still miss it…

But it lacked resolution of the separates…

VYou don’t want to lose that even if it’s better in other ways.

At least you didn’t kid yourself it was burn in and sort of got used to it over time but slowly listened to less music. Something I’ve done in the past and regretted it and/or spent more money trying to get back what was lost. Better to go back to what you had. This is all assuming it’s not an underperforming unit, potentially exacerbated by a very good XS unit.

I can only draw on my own experience but this loss of foot tapping enjoyment doesn’t sound like speaker mismatch, speaker positioning, or inferior source to me. I’d be surprised if the SN2 stomped out your enjoyment like this unless it’s either a sub standard example or fundamentally doesn’t do what you need it to do.

I’m sure it’s not the case since you’ve had it so long but you’ve not accidentally reversed the phase have you? You wouldn’t be the first :blush:

Hi Barry

I think the PMC 25.23s are a great match for the SN2 once they have been run in.
I auditioned Spender A7 (preferred the smoother treble with the PMCs) Dynaudio Special 40s which I really liked but they need to be cranked up to sound their best and some of my listening is done at lower volumes ie when the bairns are in bed. I also wanted floor standers.
I also tried B&W 703 S2 (bass sounded wooly in comparison to the bass of the 25.23 which is punchy and tight).

I think you will love the 25.23s but the cliche about speakers being personal applies. IMO the SN2+PMC 25.23s are a wonderful match together especially with pop, rock, jazz and electronic music so if you are into classical perhaps others may be better suited. Funnily enough I am interested in the NDX2 which is a great 2 box system with a SN2.

1 Like

Watching this with keen eye also. For me I am about to go audition NDX 2 + SN 2 combo with the tiny Neat Iota Xplorer floorstander.

Currently running Star with Dynaudio Special 40 and kind of not liking it :slightly_frowning_face:

Is Neat Iota Xplorer a step down from S40? Or comparable with the NDX 2 + SN 2 setup?

A source like NDX 2 should be okay with SN 2 right.

Murphy - when i upgraded from the 5si to an XS2 I immediately disliked the sound, found it very harsh sounding and lacking musicality.

I actually had the xs2 listed on eBay when I thought I’d try a different speaker cable out of curiosity. To cut a long story short it did the trick and the xs2 sounded as it should!

When I changed the speakers to PMCs there was a little something missing and a change of speaker cables to tellurium again did the trick, so perhaps worth borrowing a couple of different demo cables to try?

As mentioned by others it also could be just the simple preference for the xs2 over the Supernait 2. I found the Supernait 2 has a different character to the other Integrated amps and is much warmer and weightier. Very impressive on first listen but personally found the xs2 to be easier to listen to for longer periods.

Thanks for that, classical is not my thing, but pop,rock and electronic certainly are
Cheers
Barry

1 Like

No, I’ve checked all connections countless times hoping to find something that I’ve done wrong but every thing is in order, I’m now thinking that there’s a fault with it, it doesn’t excel sonically in any area just flat sounding

To Murphy1:
There is absolutely no way I would describe the SN2 as flat - its quite the opposite infact. The more I read your comments the more I wonder if yours has a fault.

To naim_that_tune:
Agree the SN2 is a warmer and weightier sound. I also prefer Tellurium speaker cables between my PMC speakers and the SN2.

1 Like

Hi, sorry to read of problem. Is your kit in a rack?
C.

get your dealer to lend you another, that should put it to bed

1 Like

Not a rack as such but purpose made wood shelf in an old fireplace

1 Like

can you borrow another SN2 and compare ? If not, it’s still on guarantee, so you can send it to naim via your dealer to check it.

My dealer will give me my money back, give me a good deal on a 202/200 or go back to a xs2, I just wanted this to be all the amp I ever needed

What speaker cable are you using ? Worth trying others to put some presentation differences in the mix.

When I tried out a well used demo SN2. As much as I wanted to love it, seemed like it wanted to editorialise what’s played. Some material sounding exciting and others not so much. Whereas the XS2 (older version) was happy with whatever I put on.