Supernait 2 not doing it for me

I’m using naim’s A5 speaker cable.

How about this bloke?
He has an SN2 too!

2 Likes

Changing amp from one you chose with a pair of speakers to one you didn’t can break the spell.

I went from a NAP250.2 that I chose with my speakers to a NAP250dr I’d never heard. It broke the spell. It was superior but not a good match and I had to change speakers too before I got the groove back and got the benefit of the upgrade.

So your journey to a better amp with disappointing results is not so strange to me. It can happen.

3 Likes

His must have more projection than mine, it’s blown some of his teeth out :joy::rofl:

1 Like

very well put - this thread is a great warning because I’m currently considering whether to rip apart my whole system and rebuild it - but I have no way of knowing what the end result would be - although in theory it should be better - so perhaps I’ll just enjoy what I have and not do anything that cannot be undone

Yes, you could ask your dealer if they could lend you some other speaker cables. Plenty of other brands popular with Naim users. Might just need a tweak here or there. Ask if they have a Powerline mains cable or something similar you can borrow as well.

To the OP, I hear ya, I too have been doing this audio thing for like a gazillion yrs and you hear what you hear…BUT as others have pointed out, isolating the issue and trying other gear are a must.
I did have an XS/flatcap then flatcap2x, then to the original Supernait, liked all three combos, did like the Supernait the best.

I think you said you got this from a dealer, can he loan you another or does he have a used Supernait ?
my analogue source was and is a Rega rp6/exact2 cart worked fine, I have the Naim phono stage.
So I think your LP12 is up to the task and then some.

Hope you can try some options out.

Hi TJ - sorry about wierd pic above - my 6 year old son asked what your avatar was and so I showed him some Toby Jugs on Google images - and then he talked me into copying it and posting it…
cheers
Jim

1 Like

Don’t worry, I don’t really look like that. :grinning:

1 Like

I started with a Nait XS2 and moved to a SN2. I lost NONE of the Naim PRAT in that process. Either you’re particularly attuned to some difference that escapes many - or there’s something wrong with the SN2 - or you’ve talked yourself into there being something wrong.

2 Likes

I’m a musician if that helps, I know what I like and the sn2 isn’t ticking any of the boxes, I think the xs2 will be making a comeback, I’ve not talked myself into or out of the sn2 I just want it to sound better than the xs2 but to my ears it’s not as good.

3 Likes

If you google Supernait 2 vs XS2 you will find on other forums that you are not alone with your taste. Trouble is, if you want something to sound better than the XS2 you are at the top of a very slippery slope!

2 Likes

You need to home demo another SN2 in parallel plus an XS2 plus 202/200 as suggested before. And you should probably hear some of the bigger amps so you know where you are.

1 Like

That’s the benefit of active ATC’s … the amp pack is designed to match the drive units and produce an excellent sounding speaker … without the need for esoteric cables and the like :grinning:

No more swapping, amps, cables ad speakers … just enjoy the music

2 Likes

Problem is now sorted, I have an xs2 singing seductively in my music room, thanks for everyone’s input.

8 Likes

Excellent. It just goes to show that more is not always more. The main thing is that the music’s back.

5 Likes

I am also a long time user and have had bad luck with upgrades lately. I have found upgrading the Naim stuff is not as predictable as it used to be when you just made sure everything was seup and you adhered to a strict source first diet. Then just look it up in the price list :slight_smile:

I think it sounds to me like you given the SN2 all the chances. Maybe take it back to dealer and listen to it there. NACA5-cables are more than fine. And if the LP12 + phono-card arrangment passes with a 52/250 it will pass anything.

One thing. Have you tried moving the physical amp around. If you have some fancy audio rack try just placing the amp on the floor.

I remember getting the Hi-Line a long time ago. Stuck it between the CDX2/XPS2 and the 52 and it was just awful. I tried everything but after two months I gave up and stayed with the Lavender.

1 Like

Yes, the musics back, my foot is tapping and I can’t stop smiling.

2 Likes

Hi Jan, the supernait has gone so can’t try anything else with it, I’m sure it’s an excellent amp in another room or set-up though, cheers

I’m chuckling a bit here since I just bought a Supernait 2, Sight Un-Heard! It’s replacing a new Rega Elicit R… I found that the Rega just didn’t have the grunt to drive my Dynaudio Special 40’s. I spoke with my Pal at Dynaudio and he felt the SN2 would be a better match since it has lots of current capability.

I don’t think I’ve ever done many home auditions…A few in store, but not at home. You see it kinda takes the fun out of it for me; sometimes a hit sometimes a miss. I’ve been doing audio as a hobby and as a living for many many years. I cut my teeth on the original AR Turntables with Shure cartridges , Dynaco, Mac, HK, Marantz, SAE, JBL, Rectilinear, I remember playing with the first Dolby out board noise reduction units, LoL

I suspect I’ll like the Naim. I like stuff that’s big and meaty sounding… Compared to things that are more ethereal sounding. Anyway I’ll be using lots of different stuff with it so when it comes in (currently back ordered) I’ll post my thoughts :thinking:

Oh and Mr. Murphy glad you’re all sorted out!

1 Like