Supernait 3 - Not So Super?

Wow! I never get mine past 9.30…Can’t imagine what 12 is like!

I wanted to stay out of this so not to perpetuate a thread that seems totally bonkers, other than to say the SN3 is an astonishingly good integrated amp with oodles of PRaT.

9 Likes

I have an SN3 and ND5 XS 2 and am extremely happy with the sounds they produce. To describe the SN3 as inferior in any way is just plain wrong in my view. Sure, many other amps are better, many of them are much more expensive too, but the SN3 rocks to my untutored ears.

And I’ve never taken mine past 9:30 either…

8 Likes

It’s probably been said already but if you want more bass or more mid then it’s a personal preference and a good match of speaker and the right placement is important. I’m not one for auditioning several units but if you have specific requirements then you must audition different combinations in your room rather than blaming a particular component if you don’t like the sound.

1 Like

I would reach for my wallet if you weren’t twisting my arm so hard. I’m opening ebay while writing this.

1 Like

I looked at NDX as well but I am all-in on Roon so it would have to be one of the newer models.

This may be handy if reviewing options:-

1 Like

Not heard that before. Excellent!

If I understood you correctly, then-
ND555=NDX2+NDAC+555PS?

Couldn’t agree more with your post, only difference being I’ve never dared to go anywhere near 11, you’ve got me thinking now, I’d expect to see my drivers flying across the room.

I wish.

We run exactly that combo, but I suspect an ND555 it is not. However, it is a very fine digital source indeed.

Our dealer did say there was no point upgrading to ND555 unless we got a 552. I think our current digital source is the perfect match for our 252/300.

4 Likes

Yup same here. I can’t fault the SN3 in any way. It will be interesting in how Naim will be able to improve on it. My guess is even ‘more’ power…:thinking:

1 Like

Does the Nait50 ‘beat’ the SN3?

I wouldn’t know, only having heard the SN3, but the plaudits on this forum for the 50 make me wonder.

1 Like

It’s not necessarily correct or incorrect though since data is still meaningless. Only once put in context and interpreted it could become meaningful (information).

1 Like

I’m assuming any new nait will have to have the new power management to allow full standby like the 50, so wouldn’t be a bit surprised if the 50 is used as a basis for any new super nait - now wouldn’t that be peachy!

2 Likes

Er, summer term has finished.

1 Like

Sort out the volume and balance controls for starters.

I’ve never had any problems with the volume or balance controls, so that is an unknown to me. Makes me wonder if there are faulty units floating around that have gone under the radar. Mine has been completely faultless in every way.

P.S I think GTauduiophile has it about right a little further up this thread…I also think many here need to sort out their cables and connection practices before blaming the kit. Perhaps Naim should hold an owner’s training course independently from the dealers…:thinking:

2 Likes

Poor wording on my part perhaps, improve the implementation, put another way, as has been the case in what’s been released in 200 and 300 Series products.
I never had any issues with my SN3, I owned it factory fresh and enjoyed it tremendously.
I guess my comment is also partly driven by the fact my preamp now allows me to listen down to 1 on the volume without any channel instability or odd balance characteristics, especially at low volume levels. I always found you had to get the volume up a decent way to get the system singing.
I don’t have that limitation anymore.

2 Likes

Exactly what my SN3 does at any volume, even through n-SATs, which are highly efficient.

The only time I’ve had to deal with a mis-balance (especially at low volume) is that the unit needed servicing, badly soldered cables or not fully connected, with stressed out cabling practices.

Of course (which is highly unlikely on a new unit) one could also factor in, a dodgy volume pot(s).

I think you’re still missing the point here, despite having flawless performance from your own kit (which is always a blessing), if the Alps Blue Velvet pot remains the last word in performance, why hasn’t it been implemented in the 200 and 300 Series preamps?

1 Like