Supernait 3 or NDX 2

Thanks for your insight Mr.M. How do you rate the NDX 2 against the ND5 XS 2?

That sounds like a great plan. Thank you!

You can still but new SN2’s here, quite a bit “cheaper” than the SN3.

2 Likes

Hi Stephen,

When I first started out with Naim, I got a new SN2 and an NDX2. (I won’t mention the Nova that I had at first…)

When I first got my NDX2, it turned out to be faulty and failed to turn on. As a result my dealer supplied me with an ND5SX2 as a temporary streamer, whilst I waited for another NDX2 to arrive (this was when they were first released).

I will cut to the chase, obviously the NDX2 is considerably better than the ND5XS2. The ND5XS2 has a rawer, more chunky sound to it, the NDX2 in contrast is much smoother and more refined, with more weight behind it. Its more resolving too.

I found the pairing with the NDX2 and the SN2 to be spot on. I’m now on a 252/300DR system, but I’ve kept my NDX2… and I don’t think its a weak link as a source in that system. That’s how much I love it.

I wouldn’t reject an SN2 out of hand because its not new, neither would I an NDX2. Year old kit will be ex-demo and will have been well cared for. If its pre-owned, most Naim owners really baby their stuff. Boxes, manuals, remotes, cables will all be present and correct.

Sorry post edit, also if you’re planning on trading in, rather than selling then buying, most dealers will still happily let you trade in against demo stock too.

5 Likes

Well you might recall I had an ND5 XS originally and later an ND5 XS2 which I used on a NAIT XS2 and Supernait 2.
I’ve only ever used the current NDX2 with the also recently swapped in Supernait 3 so didn’t have any real chance to try it on my SN2 either with or without a HiCap driving the NAIT.
It certainly felt likena better synergy with the Supernait than the ND5 ever was, it’s more musical, has a better and more open soundstage and doesn’t get so congested in the mids as the ND5 often would.
I did wonder early on if I’d made a sensible decision given they aren’t cheap and a step up in cost compared to the ND5, however no regrets at all and enjoying it’s more composed and authoritive presentation against the ND5.
I’d expect it’s still running in as is the SN3 which was a factory fresh one ironically!
I also had a loan Hi-Line IC as mine had a connector fail which was a new and hardly used one.
I did spend a fair bit of time with speaker and rack positioning and ended up moving the room around quite a bit and also adding IsoAcoustics Gaia feet to the speakers, I rate those as well and they’ve given better imaging and more definition to the bottom end for not a lot of cash.
I doubt you’d regret a move to the NDX2 especially as you’ve enjoyed your ND5 mostly so far. I’d for sure give some thought to the NAIT choice, a new SN3 will be nice but will cost a fair chunk more than a SN2 and that cash could be better spent going towards an XPS for the NDX2.

1 Like

Thanks. Yes i’ve never had a problem with buying ex-demo kit from my dealer. I still class that as new because you still get the full warranty with it. I just don’t really like buying second hand from an auction site is what i meant. The DAC i was looking at was a trade in, probably mint i’m sure as it was from a dealer too but this is not the same as ex-demo for me. Which is as good as new in most instances.

1 Like

Yes i will consider a SN2. A nice late one would be nice. I have seen some bargain ones recently, just not from my dealer. Moorgate Acoustics are coming up with some real stunners just lately!

No harm keeping an eye out, nows an ideal time window given the fairly recent move to the SN3 on new production and there being plenty bouncing around as demo stock or fairly new trade in units.
The one I had an eye on was a 2018 model and that went for under £1800 whereas a SN3 is £3.5k currently, that’s a fair chunk towards an XPS in my book!
Also, reality here is if you ended up with the system you outlined and it was based around a SN2 you could always swap that out and easily move to a SN3 or beyond quite comfortably and the rest of your system would still have good overall synergy, certainly covered up to 282/250 level of system at least.
No idea on your speaker leanings, never owned Allaes personally but I expect theres SN2/3 + Allae opinions to be had from others. I’d do the speakers last as well personally, unless you’ve got a pair from a known source that are in good condition and not going to be hanging around long. When that time comes, I’d be inclined to hold on to your current ones long enough to make sure you don’t still prefer them!

2 Likes

I’ve always hankered after a pair of Allaes. Having owned Credos for many years i pretty much know what to expect. Sometimes they crop up at silly prices, so if and when they do (which can be at any moment), i’ll pounce on them like a Tiger in full hunt mode. I’m still enjoying my Neat Motive SX2s and have no concerns about those whatsoever. Great speakers.

Many thanks Mr.M

I have a SN2 and it’s sublime.

I’m curious at what level should one consider a ND5XS2 has “run out of steam”? All the way to 282/200/250 level? NDX2 all the way up to a 252/300DR level? Clearly ND555 would be at the 500 level. Just curious

I would keep everything as is - but add a vertere DFI interconnect between the ND5XS 2 and the Nait XS.

Hey Analogmusic, today that seems a very sensible comment. After retracting my bid last night on a Naim DAC and after taking in much of the very great advice offered here by so many kind members, i think i’m going to pause for a moment. Why? Well; after searching quite hard around the net over the last few days, things do seem to be a little quiet and i don’t really think i’ve found what i’m looking for just yet. Sometimes some real bargains can throw themselves up and i’m just not seeing that happening just yet. I now can’t help feeling that i’m best of waiting for a while. See what happens. My partner thinks so to…

I have the funds in the bank now to pretty tread in all directions and after a restless night’s sleep, tossing and turning, i think i’m going to sit back and wait for that right moment. I have a funny feeling that the market is going to open up again real soon and i feel i do need to audition a couple of options as well. This is a one off opportunity for me (financially) so it’s important that i make that right decision. Anyway i’m happy with my Hiline - it’s just as Naim intended! :laughing:

I hope you all keep safe and i hope to return real soon with lots of praise from a new addition. Thank you! :slightly_smiling_face:

I’ve no idea. I suppose in real life it’s whatever sound you like and what you may be adding to it to “upgrade it”

Naim’s website clearly shows recommended system pairings. The ND5XS2 goes with the XS series systems, the NDX2 goes with “classic” series and the ND555 goes with the 500 reference and statement based systems.

In every case on the “classic” line and reference line, they recommend the extra power supplies for the NDX2 and ND555 as you go up their respective series, probably because each preamp/power amp combo gets progressively relentlessly revealing.

A 282 is a “classic” line system and with the 250DR is a step up from a Supernait2/3 (which in itself is in the “classic” line) and certainly probably the point that you would want an NDX2 over an ND5XS2.

1 Like

system balance is key here - everything is well balanced.

I would like for any improvement possible now in the mains - is the Nait plugged directly in the wall?

How is the hicap plugged in? and the Streamer?

Hi Analogmusic,

i have everything plugged into a 6mm dedicated radial feed with two double switchless MK Logic sockets by the HiFi. All boxes are plugged in with PowerLine Lites. I have thought about a Fraim Lite but was going to do that last. A full fat Fraim could also be another consideration but that is real expensive bought new and i never see it going on the used market.

I bought a HiCap DR from my dealer 25 days ago and it has really brought a richness to the sound, i love it. It keeps on improving by the day. The HiCap has definitely made me think about owning a Classic Series integrated system, hence my slightly itchy feet. I’m not unhappy with my current system in any way, i’m just feeling over indulgent really. Because of the lockdown and with some savings in the bank i feel like having a little bit of a splurge. All good stuff really. I’m glad to be back at work too.

1 Like

I owned the Nait Xs1 10 years ago, and proceeded on an upgrade path which turned out to be very expensive…

I do have very fond memories of that Nait Xs 1 - and if everything sounds wonderful which I am sure it does, I would leave it as is.

Upgrades from here will be very expensive - we are talking about NDX2 and SN3… or even going to separates like 202/200DR or 282/250DR… The NDX2 will eventually lead to an upgrade of an XPSDR minimum.

I would enjoy the music… to me that’s always been the point of this Naim journey.

I’ve decided for now to stop my journey at 282/250DR level.

Knowing what I know now, I would have spent a LOT of money on sources,and much less money on amplification.

4 Likes

Thank you for sharing your experiences here Analogmusic. Food for thought. :+1:

1 Like

Ok folks time for a rather quick update:

In a turn about of events.

Thanks to a very highly regarded and hugely respected forum member in pointing me in the right direction - i now have a Supernait 3 winging it’s way here! :grin:

Yes things can change that quickly but it is an offer i just could not refuse. No point in hanging around, let’s get it over with. Trigger pulled.

WoW! i’m so excited!

Speak to you soon folks and have yourselves a great weekend!:sunglasses:

7 Likes

Excellent Stephen I think you have made the right choice, once that upgrade bug bites its difficult to shake off :grin:

1 Like