Supernait 3 upgrade options

Half DR means that the pre-amp stage has a DR power supply and the power-amp stage has a non DR power stage. This is the case for both the SN2 and SN3, so I think the new wording is just a bit of spin.

Precisely Mike - that was my take on it

1 Like

My point to you here was to correct your aspersion that Naim under specified the power supply, implying that this was so one had to spend more on a separate supply. It may just be the way it was written, but I felt that a correction was due lest anyone take it as read.

1 Like

FR just posted this on another thread:

2 Likes

There was a post, by @Naim.Marketing if I recall correctly, that set out the technical changes between SN2 and SN3 and one of those was something along the lines of ‘more extensive DR’. I asked at the time for clarification and was informed that the implementation of the DR power supply for the preamp was better. I believe the further details Clare provided came from Naim’s technical people. I’ve tried searching but cannot find it unfortunately. If Clare sees this post she may be able to find the original, which was I believe in early 2020.

I’m not technical and don’t know how exactly it’s better but if Naim say it is, that’s good enough for me. If people don’t agree then that’s their prerogative; it doesn’t alter the fact that the SN3 is a very fine amplifier, even without a separate power supply in place.

3 Likes

I’ll dig out Steve Sells’ exact words when I’m back in the office tomorrow, but to summarise:

As ever with Naim, we didn’t design something and declare it finished.

DR is a technology that Naim continues to evolve, with each product launch looking to refine and improve its implementation.

That can mean using more DR modules throughout a product, but also looking at their placement and how they interact with other elements of the design.

All in service of a better sound.

2 Likes

Thanks Clare. There was definitely something posted about it, but I’ve tried and tried to find it and failed miserably. I’m sure it was something about more extensive DR in the 3. Ultimately it’s unimportant of course; it’s how the thing sounds in practice.

1 Like

Always and forever, amen :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Yes i agree. I have listened to my SN3 bare and with the HiCap DR. Both iterations are fantastic, i can happily live with either, a super amplifier in any guise.
However the HiCap DR does lift the SN3’s performance, where the music becomes more structured and even easier to follow, without losing any of the bare amplifier’s charm and musicality to begin with. As always, best way to find out is to hook one up and to hear for one’s self.

6 Likes

exactly all about the sound

Yep!

Nobody is forced to join the cult. It’s fairly expensive to climb the ladder but Naim is very clear about their strategy. Naim has nothing to gain by completely redesigning their amps by discarding everything that gave them their character. Plenty of hifi brands to choose from that have internal or switch mode power supplies. Not sure what you want.

1 Like

Well the ND555 is exactly for you.

1 Like

If someone due to there particular usage had requirements Yes Naim had the solution at hand
purchase a separate power supply, it was supposed to be simple and in line with Naim guide lines. Weather or not something is under specified - not quite sufficient -a little short- marginal etc, the list is endless i went for a technical term.
Unfortunately the term or argument has no clarity as the very same supply used with a mostly 8ohm spk with 92db sensitivity could be classified as over specified and with a
spk that drops to 2.5ohm with 84 db sensitivity be under specified.
However i was looking to get the OP to consider there could be various alternatives to
improve his system. I do not come on to recommend equipment selections it is not my
interest and would be silly to do so on a Forum with so much capability.

Glad to see you could freely voice your opinion.

I quoted Richard’s
(and I have never claimed that I can’t voice mine)

1 Like

Was referring to the Burn in Debate, Sukydo sorry it is my personal term.

I know you did. I’m just saying that my post quoted Richard’s opinion

ha, exactly not

Ciao @anon4489532 i totally agree with you. If I can add my 5 cents I consider it a beautiful amp and I consider it fully oversized in term of construction, in my point of view it is state of the art. Of course improving the ps is always a good suggestion so adding hcdr is for sure an improvement to the existing ps which is, by the way, an incredibly good and oversized psu.
It is a nonsense arguing about the power reserve of a psu relying on a 400va toroidal transormer for 90w amp.
I deserve an enormous respect for Steve sells and his implementations; and repeating myself I consider them state of the art

2 Likes