Superuniti amp compared to supernait 2

Post purchase dissonance is a powerful motivator.

@ElMarko Just to clarify in case you were not a aware, that @robert_h is a former naim employee. I had the pleasure of meeting and talking with him at the Bristol Hi-fi Show earlier this year. He is a great guy and certainly a very knowledgeable naim owner.

Calm down guys, sheesh.

1 Like

Thanks a lot for the link. It is interesting to see how the description from this file differs from the one on the Naim webpage. I reckon the Naim webpage description was changed or updated as the SU had a slight makeover with the adding of bluetooth capability? Which was somewhere around 2015 or thereabout?

Since the description on the naim webpage specifically mentions the SN2 as the source of its amplifier, whereas the older description doesn’t, could it actually be that the amp section of the SU got a slight makeover at the same time as bluetooth was added? I find it otherwise difficult to explain how come the SU is thus described on the Naim site.
Kind regards
Jon

There is a huge difference between ‘technologies pioneered by’ and ‘the same as’. The SN2 is significant better than the amplifier in the SU: the preamp has a DR supply for a start.

To the OP I’d suggest buying a used SN2 from the U.K. and having it shipped.

1 Like

No there was no makeover of the SuperUniti power amplifier or anything else when Bluetooth was added. The SuperUniti is far better than the Uniti 2, not least because of the DAC.

Used SuperUnitis go for almost no money, say £1500 for a nice one without Bluetooth. If you want Bluetooth then you will be looking closer to £2000.

I haven’t compared the SU with the SN2 though so can’t comment on that.

Best

David

Ok, I have no reason to doubt you. I was only correcting the false comment made earlier about the power capabilities of the SU v the XS. I’m not making claims wrt the SN2 but clearly Naim wants consumers to know the SU and SN2 share at least some characteristics.

1 Like

No problem at all, @ElMarko.

1 Like

You mean realistic?

But, I apologize. I didn’t mean to offend.

Dave

1 Like

Yes, I believe you’re right from what I’ve read, both here and it some reviews. I’ll have a better idea when my SN2 arrives later today.

Dave

Enjoy your new SN2, it’s a excellent performer.

Out of the normal path, I added a 250DR to mine, then a HiCapDR, it is very good.

1 Like

Thanks Geoff.
Yes, I wondered if I would eventually want to add a HiCapdr to the SN2.
Makes a substantial different, does it?

Dave

The 250DR was a big improvement, giving more power/control/details/reality from my iBLs.

In my view, HiCaps always do good. They are naims ‘constant’ - they have been around a long time adding ability to the naim preamps, and helping the power amps get on with the job.

1 Like

Interesting. I just looked them up and they’re not as expensive as I thought.
Fairly affordable upgrade. I’ll have to plan one into my audio expenditures.
And, sorry again, Geoff, for my earlier aggression.

Dave

Does your unit run the pre-amp off DR power supplies such as the SN2, you think?

I picked up a used but relatively new HiCapDR last year and added it to my SN2 - it is a great addition for a reasonable cost.

1 Like

@david1111
As we sorted the start of our conversation out, I have deleted my main reply. Let us know how you get on with the SN2 when it arrives.

1 Like

Yes, I had deleted as well.
I’m really looking forward to implementing the SN2 into the system. I’ll post any incites I have once I’ve accustomed my ears to the new sound.
Cheers.

Dave

1 Like

That’s good to hear. It certainly seems that the HiCapDR is a substantial upgrade in SQ for most people. I guess that’ll be an upcoming, interesting, discussion with my wife. She won’t get why it could possibly make a difference, but she’ll like it when she hears it.

Dave