Supplied cables/interconnects - does what's in the box always make sense?

General question but primarily related to SNAXO 242.

I’m sure there’s a lot of logic in Naim’s approach but I’m a little confused here.

My SNAXO 242 arrived recently to replace a CB NAXO.

Great I thought there’s a brand new SNAIC which will be nice to replace the old one I had to connect to the olive HICAP, and potentially more up to date.

Then I realised it was a 4 pin to 4 pin SNAIC not a 5 pin to 5 pin SNAIC, unless it’s maybe this cable Richard mentions in the linked thread below and not a typical SNAIC?

As my NAP 250s both had 4 pin DIN > XLR cables and less powerful NAPs I believe come with 4-4 pin SNAICs anyway I was confused by this potentially redundant cable.

Should a 5pin > 5 pin SNAIC have been in the box instead?

The SNAXO 242 product page says a SNAIC is included but is not specific:

A while back some people were wondering now that Naim bundles Powerline Lite mains cables with various products whether or not we should have the option of choosing the standard option or paying the difference for a full fat Powerline at the time of purchase.

A potentially interesting question more generally if you end up with cables you might not use?

Another oddity from the SNAXO manual (PDF anyway, I’ve not opened the supplied packet):

There is a Burndy link plug which is in use, but no dust cover for the SNAXO DIN power supply socket, should there be one or is this just a typo? If it’s just a dust cover it probably doesn’t matter but if there ought to be a DIN blanking/link plug it’s missing and might cause issues if I wanted to try the Supercap DR with the SNAXO 242.

I think it will be a SNAIC4 to link your pre-amp’s PS to the PS driving the SNAXO.

No point in including a SNAIC5 as this may not be needed (you may be using a Supercap), however, a SNAIC4 to link the PSes together will always be required, hence included (where something is always required, Naim invariably include it).

p.s. I haven’t seen the old dust covers being used for quite a while. They were always confusing newbies to Naim thinking they were the link plugs and vice versa, so maybe Naim decided to drop them?

1 Like

I’m sure you are correct Richard - that bit hadn’t dawned on me as the older active setup was a mixture of CB/olive kit. Begs the question of where I got the SNAIC 4 from originally as it’s a locking DIN type which would not have come with the pre-loved CB NAXO. There was also that odd blue sheathed SNAIC we couldn’t identify (non-locking DIN).

I think the reason this question baffled me is that the SNAXO 242/363 manual only shows the connections from the power supplies to the SNAXOs and NAPs.

The ancient manual I had with my 72 I think showed upstream connections to the NAC 72 as well when used in ‘bi-amped’ mode.

***!!! WARNING - completely wrong for SNAXO 242 where the NAPs are now LF or HF not L/R!!! ***

Maybe the current ‘connections’ guide has this too.

Also fair to say that the current SNAXO manual does not indicate which accessories/interconnects are included and specifically in relation to the SNAIC does not indicate where it lies in the chain - probably not a concern if things are dealer installed.

Just inadvertently found this!

You kindly posted the link in an older thread:

https://forums.naimaudio.com/topic.php?oid=1566878604301792&coid=159503632588890

1 Like

In a Naim active system the only signals that are needed to connect the Hicap (preamp) to the Hicap (NAXO/SNAXO) are:

Left signal
Right signal
Signal return.

The connectors at both ends are DIN4. The “standard” interconnect they manufacture a four wire SNAIC4 where the fourth wire “can/may” be utilised in certain configurations to carry secondary power from “a power amp” to “a preamp”. This is clearly not the case in this configuration.

Unfortunately this means that there is a length of wire in the SNAIC4 which in this particular ‘active” configuration is AFAIK unconnected, “floating”, and therefore will act as an aerial.

In my previous life we did a lot of EMC testing of harnesses, and this floating wire/metal thingy came up a lot. Floating metal (with an area greater than a specified size - and it wasn’t very big!) would always be grounded. OK, so that was for spacecraft….but EMI is really is real and can be “an issue”…….however whether one could actually hear a difference at audio frequencies is, as ever, up for debate. :laughing: (had many bouts of friendly banter with fellow audiophile colleagues on this topic - especially cables :laughing: ). That’s probably what I miss the most since I retired :frowning:

I didn’t know that Naim made a DIN4 three-wire “active” IC. And by that time, I’d already “made other arrangements”…………

1 Like