Sustaining Naim CDPs - An Appeal

Not this one!

My lovely Naim Flash remote.

7 Likes

Which came first? I think the Naim one is more aesthetically pleasing.

That streamer remote is excellent, I wish theyā€™d kept it for the current streamers instead of that shiny plastic brick that uses twice as many batteries and lacks half the functions of the old one.

3 Likes

Got a Nova - mainly for internet radio.

My ageing CDX2 is now in for a service and will come back to me with a digital output. When I told Naim that it was being out -performed by a humble Audiolab 6000 CDT they reckoned it was time for a service.

I think streaming hasnā€™t caught on in the same way in Japan as it has in Europe and North America hence quality players are still manufactured for the Japanese market, I wish Naim would make a transport

2 Likes

I didnā€™t realise it was possible to retro fit the CDX2 with a digital output. Did you organise this through Naim or your dealer?

1 Like

Be careful, yes itā€™s possible but you loose the analogue out. And itā€™s not reversible.

1 Like

Ah, thanks for the warning Thegreatroberto.

1 Like

If you want coax digital out from naim you only have 2 choices. CdX2.2 or cd5xs. Both are hard to find at decent prices. My cd5xs is carefully stored in my loft. I used to fire it into my ndx2/xpsdr via a dc-1 cable to great effect. However, much as it pains me my cds ripped to nas and served by asset to the ndx2 sounded better and more convenient.
These days I only use 2 sources. TT and Streamer. :frowning_face:

1 Like

And far too expensive CD transport with left-over unused electronic, not a move I would consider.

As the Greatroberto says, you lose the analogue out and itā€™s irreversible , but I have a Nova and the on - board DAC from the CDX2 gets removed by the A/D converter, so I didnā€™t see it as a great loss.

Crikey, thatā€™s an odd state of affairs. As it happens I have by passed the analogue stage of my CD player (not Naim, but similar 90ā€™s tech) and later I chose to derive a dedicated SPDIF output and to disconnect the DAC and analogue stages, but it is all reinstateable.

Thanks guys for all the inputs. @Naim.Marketing I appreciate this might not be possible, and also itā€™s a moving feast, but would it be possible for Naim to say what the current position is with regard to maintaining CDPs?

It depends on the CD player in question!

For use on CD555 - and at Waitrose !

1 Like

Iā€™m sure these are just silly questions, but the tray based players look like they use a very similar physical part. Iā€™m kinda assuming the tray is identical, apart from the bit that the laser and servo mechanism fits to? Could they all use a drop-in, slightly re-engineered tray, a new laser and servo mechanism that is in current production, and some sort of model specific interface board to talk to the CD5/CDX/CDX2/CD5I/CD5 XS host, depending on what the electrical interface differences are? Iā€™m sure all of the following are true:

• It is a big ask
  • Could be the trays are all sufficiently different to make it impossible (different pivot points?)
  • Iā€™m sure it would cost a chunk of development
  • It would keep a lot of old Naim CD players running into their much older age.

Considering the build of the rest of the player it would be a real shame to send my CD5 to the electrical recycling if/as/when its existing mech gives up.

Just a thought anyway, not expecting the idea to have legs! And in case my CD5 is listening, ā€œI donā€™t think you look old! Nor about to break!!ā€

[Edit: how could you even think of obsoleting this thing!?]

Yes, I too wish Naim would make a transport with replaceable parts. IMHO, I believe that the nDacs, NDSs, NDX2s, and ND555s that we have, would be acceptable Dac sections for a good transport.

When I purchased my pre loved CDS3 it came with a sealed spare VAM1202 mech which is now tucked away even more safely as it seems to be as worthwhile as a gold nugget for us CD fansā€¦ā€¦ā€¦

4 Likes

Having just had a look in the fleapit I can see a number of 1202s from China which are no doubt fakes. But it does beg the question as to why a genuine replacement couldnā€™t be sourced from somewhere. But as said earlier in the thread would come at a cost.

1 Like

Just been looking on the bay. All from China like you say. It doesnā€™t look like you can get these units any other way unless Naim have a supply. Naim - do you have a supply of mechs or do we have to rely on Chinese copies to fix our CDPlayers going forwards?

As a CDS3 owner this is of concern. Thanks in anticipation.

Or am I best selling it off while it still works?

To my knowledge the last word when this was discussed in two different threads a few months back was that Naim currently had no mechs but were trying to secure a supply, but itā€™s difficult. I donā€™t think there was an update since. Some distributors might have the odd one in a drawer.

1 Like