Sustaining Naim CDPs - An Appeal

Thanks. Much appreciated @Suedkiez.

Such a shame that these units won’t go on and on!

Nothing lasts for ever I guess. Will enjoy it while it lasts.

1 Like

I got my CDS3 second hand for around £1400 several years ago and if the CD player works for a couple of years more then it is of value to me as it’s my main source. But I note you have two other sources that are probably better so might be worth considering selling. Not sure it will sell for £1400 now and when you take 13% eBay fees into account you might feel short changed.

1 Like

There are different. I would say the CDS3 is on a par with the NDS and sounds wonderful. NDS bit of an edge and more versatile.

The NDS won’t last forever either. It’s just how it is.

Just wish Naim could continue to provide full service for CD players. I guess they just can’t get hold of the mechs and can’t invest in finding alternative providers for such a niche market.

Would be such a shame if the CD players all die off!

Legacy products are great to have and show a history of the Naim brand.

1 Like

Each Naim CD player “family” of transports, is built around a specific chipset that creates the core of the machine.
I’m not an R&D engineer, but I’m fairly confident that you underestimate the bigness of the ask in your first bullet point!
To re-engineer a CD5si transport into a CD5 (for example) would be less economical than designing a new player from the ground up.
I would imagine. <<<------- disclaimer :grinning:

Regards
Neil.

5 Likes

Knowing my beloved CDS2 will one day give up the ghost for lack of spare parts, was the major factor in prompting me to get back in to records with an LP12. Like my amps, it can always be kept going. I simply want a reliable, quality source, which can be kept going longer than me.

In the meantime I will enjoy my CDS2 and not worry about it giving up. I fully intend to be its final owner. Long may it last.

5 Likes

Fair :smiley: Thanks very much for the consideration, I knew it was a long shot X)

My CD5 has just about forgiven me for calling it old.

1 Like

Listening to music this morning sounds better than ever. I had moved my speakers back after experimenting for aesthetic reasons, so feeling relieved that its back to normal. Let’s keep our fingers crossed.
What would shorten the life of the NDS apart from not having the latest streaming services?
With regards to repairing, I would be willing to pay £1k-£1.5k to keep it in action so hope Naim would be willing to come up with a solution.

I’ve owned my CDS / CDPS for several years now a beautiful machine I’ll be sad when it gives up the ghost.

Regards,

Martin

2 Likes

I have owned CD3.5, CDX, CDS2, and CDS3. My end game was an active all Naim system. Unfortunately CD is my main source and since I am retired, I cannot justify spending $8-10K for a comparable high end cd player. I choose a Cyrus player which is very good but not in CDS class. I am disappointed that my CDS3 is now obsolete especially since it was serviced a few years ago. Guess my 555 PS will be on A-gon soon.

cdx 2.2

1 Like

AFAIK, based on what I have read on here, there are no more mechs at Naim for the CDX2 / 2.2.

I am a CDX2 owner… Which I bought thinking of as a newer player, would still have full support.

1 Like

What do we do the naim black boxes when the CD players die? Maybe they should go into a Naim museum?

How does it sound from up there?

Without sounding too optimistic i think that Naim will in due time try to get their hands on a batch of VAM1202 mech’s. They were used quite widely and i am sure that there is some remaining stock somewhere. Let’s not forget that VAM1202 mechs were used until 2018 when the last versions of the CD5XS and CDX2.2 were produced and sold, so basically many of these are still under warranty and, if need arises, should be serviced until 2023/2024.

2 Likes

As far as i understand storing it in the loft will not prolonge its lifetime. For instance the lubrification on the moving parts may dry out if not in use. My hope is that a gentle, everday use (1-2 cd’s every day) will keep it running until Naim figures something out :slight_smile:

Perhaps i should be on the look out for some with failed mechs, the electronics will be serviceable and the DACs were/are nice.

Maybe not in the Naim world, but i see so many new cd players and transports that one may wonder if the cd is really dying… Maybe it all goes in circles, when the CD arrived many dropped their turntables, now many drop cd playback and replace it with streaming.

I’d describe it as a bit boxy!

I’ve got it down. It’s only been up there for a couple of months since I worked out it’s not been used :frowning_face:
I’m going to sell it on a well known auction site. Sad, so after 37 years I’ll be without a cdp. :frowning_face:

I thought Naim had stopped the production of the CDX2 a couple of years ago simply because they wanted to keep the remaining mechanisms in order to repair the ones that had been sold and were still under warranty.
I’m sure this was mentioned on the forum: have all those mechanisms been used already???

1 Like