Swapping systems between rooms

I already have 4 glass shelves with nuts and balls :sunglasses:

Mike, you have a very big house and probably your children not anymore living with you . I am a bit indiscreet, but is it not possible for you to have an other place for the office ?

You could make a wonderful audio dedicated room with that place.
Just wondering…but I am not at your place.

1 Like

Hi Sweetie. Our house is an average NZ size, about 195 square metres. Our daughter is 12 and will likely be home for another 10 years. That leaves us one spare bedroom, which we use. Otherwise there’s the garage next to the office / music room, that has the laundry and our little pool table area and not that suited as an office.

The use of the office with the music space will work fine and can be fine tuned as I work less. We are away this week and when I get back I might change my large work desk for the smaller one I moved out and take out a small cabinet, just to limit the furniture as much as I can.

1 Like

Ok, all well. Now I remember your young daughter. Ah, memory, memory.
Waiting now for your new Fraimlite to come :+1:

1 Like

I have had another go at the room configuration, moving out the large desk and using the smaller desk in the right back corner. This frees up more space around the speakers and I’ve a nice immersive soundstage enveloping the room.

I even have a spare spot for the TT now, but it will move to the Fraim Lite when it arrives - this will go where the NDX2 is, as far away from the speaker as the SL speaker cable to the left speaker will allow.

Very happy with the how the change is working out :sunglasses:

7 Likes

That’s great news. It’s surely good to have some clear space around the speakers for optimal results although there will be limitations especially with smaller rooms where speakers will be closer to the furnitures, equipment rack and/or walls.

1 Like

Much better now :+1:. I like your sofa, very nice. How would you compare the sound now vs the lounge before ? But maybe I already asked before…

1 Like

Thanks. I’ve just ordered a matching footrest to go with the coach.

It does sound very good, but it did in the large room too. The main difference I would describe is being more immersed within the soundstage - like you are in the music. And movies are like full surround sound.

1 Like

The bass was sounding a bit muddy. I found the Superlumina and Burndy were touching :flushed::flushed::flushed:. Tidied that up a bit and it’s much better. Really need that rack though…

1 Like

And avoid being arrested by the police for crimes against hi fi. :grin:

2 Likes

It’s all looking great at the moment… well laid out.

I’ve noticed a reasonable gap though to the right of the sofa… looks like you may need to buy a drinks cabinet to fill it. If so, weight it down with a few decent bottles of single malt (or spirit of choice) :+1:t2:

1 Like

Fortunately, behind the couch is this:

4 Likes

Dam… a pool table & dart board to go with a drinks cabinet and beer chiller. Well sorted!

In all honesty, if it were me, I don’t think I’d ever make it upstairs😂

2 Likes

I’ve just noticed having both doors open (the girls are out) improves the soundstage again and release a bit of bass resonances from those corners.

This has all been much more successful than upgrading boxes,

2 Likes

And a lot cheaper. :grin:

1 Like

That’s exactly it.

An open door acts like a Bass Trap absorbing all frequency. It’s the cheapest upgrade one can get :grin:

In general, acoustic treatment will give the best ratio performance_increase/cost.

One of my “wow” moments was when I covered the ceiling with acoustic treatment.

In terms of perceived improvement (soundstage, details, blabla, etc.) it was equivalent, or greater, then going from the nDAC to the ND555

(I know, it’s like comparing apples and oranges, it doesn’t make sense. But it gives you an idea)

And it costed only 650 euros and some handwork. Not bad :smiley:

2 Likes

Thanks for the comments @Thomas. It was your room treatment thread that inspired my trying a room / system swap.

Out of interest, how is a corner door treated if you want to have it shut to avoid sound spill to another room?

If I understand correctly, you’d like to sound proof your door in order to avoid disturbing your family.

That’s not an easy task.

Sound travels through air and solids.

The lowest the frequency, the higher the level of energy the sound wave carries.

That said, the first step would be to somewhat seal the door.

Simple and cheap, and it makes a significant difference, especially for the upper part of the spectrum.

The next step, would be a double door.

1 Like

Hi @Thomas, I forgot to ask you about ceilings. This one is low at 2.05m, what options would there be (full room details are at the top of thread).

Hi Mike,

Swapping rooms was a challenge.

Your previous room was really nice from an acoustic point of view.

All rooms interact with sound.

In the context of reproduced music, those interactions will always be destructive.

So when setting up an audio system, the one thing we should have in mind is the room.

The smaller the room, the bigger the problems.

The math is easy to make and offers some predictability.

Size matters. Size and distances matter a lot!

That leads us to your question, what to do with the ceiling?

Not sure I can be of any help unless you’re willing to follow a path similar to @NigelB 's.

Welcome New Listening Room, Welcome New System!