System Pics 2021

Interesting… and looks like Ian Stewart on piano, not sure when he last played live with them…but my guess is early 70s. Keith in his striped flares phase… must be circa 1972.

But very conscious that we should not divert this thread.

Maybe I’ll start another thread, Rolling Stones meets Sherlock Holmes in the music section.

2 Likes

I agree that does look like Ian but if you check the Love you Live album taken from 1975 Ian was on that with Billy Preston - so mid-70’s is still my guess.

How do you find those panels - and how did you choose where to position them?

It’s a Rega tungsten weight, which I bought on eBay for £40. I bought it because I had a P6 and using a spacer would have meant the counterweight would touch the lid. In the event it never went on the P6 because I bought the 8. I just put the tungsten weight on because I think it looks nicer than the fat shiny standard one. Whether it sounds different I’ve no idea. That’s probably not very helpful; sorry. It’s so much smaller than the steel weight that I put them both on the scales to check that they really both weight 100g. Which of course, they do!

2 Likes

A dedicated room! Good opportunity for some acoustic treatment?

1 Like

We’re getting some new cushions, does that count? It’s still the family movie room and my office, so any treatment is unlikely unless it’s decorative! There are also two doors in the back wall which limit things somewhat. Suggestions are welcome over at the “swapping rooms” thread:

1 Like

Very well made and recommended and ships from within EU meaning no added VAT etc. I put them up by feeling :wink: Just removing empty wall surface do a lot and I’m not going all in. I have total 4 panels and they do great improvements to the sound. Just entering the room and talk make you hear the difference. These are 50mm GIK Alpha 1D panels that do absorption and diffusion. I would say they might not be best of either of it since it is a slight compromised solution based on what I know but they look so great and do their job for me at least :blush: I had EQ acoustic fabric panels before and these are a BIG step up in looks and finish. These are more like a pcs of furniture.

1 Like

Hi Dread…
It was a bit of an impulse purchase - isoacoustics maple plinth. It has their vibration cancelling feet on it.
It has sharpened the bass and mid range modestly over just the plain SO table- so given it was a second hand purchase is a good value upgrade. Not night and day/jaw dropping or inky blackness though!

1 Like

First post here - finally got the system properly installed in a custom made rack. Looks really smart IMO - Paul from Solid Sounds took time to understand the requirements and even matched the oak finish to other furniture in the room. Unexpected bonus is that the extra base layer can store the “excess” NACA5!

79 Likes

Very nice look👍

1 Like

Looks great. Solid Sounds is a rack I would love to buy :+1:

1 Like

Do it, when you’re able. I have been really pleased with the one Paul made for us. Compared with most things HiFi I think they are great value too!

2 Likes

That looks like a really decent alternative to Fraim. You probably get more choice of finishes too?

Looks great. :+1:t5:

1 Like

Neat Momentum 3xi speakers Will ?

Marantz receivers rule! What a classic look. I just love that combination of blue green color with the brushed aluminum faceplate.

1 Like

Stunning photography.

2 Likes

Yes -Momentum SX3i. Work really well with the 282/250.

Some changes in new year.
I am no longer all Olive.
Ndx2 and brand new 555psdr replaced my XPSdr. Rest of system: 52/super/135s.
All on fraim with Powerlines all around.
Speakers Kudos Titan T88s
Also just sold my 01 so 2 empty Fraim shelves
So gone is cds 2/Olive XPS/01 and 01 ps
See old then new:

40 Likes

And the speakers

59 Likes

I love the look of Fraim too but I think this is just as smart. In terms of finishes, we sent a picture to Paul and he matched it. Very happy.

1 Like