System Pics 2019

Thank you very much, Gavin.
F

What a lovely place to listen to music, looks great Fred.

It rather is! Thank you, hifiman.
F

Hi Mech.
If you asked me, the loudspeaker on the picture is the Iota Alpha. I have owned the Xplorers before, but had to sell them. They are really good. Sounds like have great gear to match them as well.
F

1 Like

Not quite alone as I can see you have a bird there.

2 Likes

Haha. You noticed. Yes my True love, made of wood. Every other week I have my kids too. But they don’t really have a say in home decoration matters😊

1 Like

This is a lot tidier than usual…

10 Likes

this gyrodec is still nice after 20 or more years.

2 Likes

I like that! you can stop and put an LP on the Gyrodec, consult some recipe books, then get dinner going!

I know! And if you pull a recipe book really really slowly the needle doesn’t even jump!

1 Like

Nice system Lucifer.

Is that a super-tweeter on top of the left-hand speaker?

Just noticed DougieDanger beat me to it.

…I’ll get me coat.

3 Likes

Thank you!

Natures own, always out of tune

Absolutely stunning.

1 Like

Evening photo of system new arm on deck Ekos SE

252 really showing its grace and music now, rest of system SC/300DR/ Fraim in cherry and black

Delighted, let the music play no more upgrades this year will look at new speakers in 2020, have a good idea where I am going

33 Likes

Just completed a lenco L75 with an Origin Live Silver tonearm

so here is the new addition to my system - in Ferrari red !

regards!

13 Likes

I have made a few updates since the last pics in Jan that are further up this thread. Firstly I got a new TV and a Sony 4K Blu Ray player (UBP X800 I think its called). Secondly I got a new rack - a HiFi Racks one. Thirdly I have just added a Chord Hugo (mk1) I was previously using for mobile as a dac into the analogue inputs of the 272. The amp is a 250DR and the speakers are Dynaudio Special 40s on Dynaudio Stand 20s, each stand with 2 1/2 tubs of Atabites in them - they don’t ring and are very heavy.

So from top to bottom its TV, Chord Hugo, Sony BD Player, 272, 250.

Some notes…

The TV stand is a bamboo chopping board! The stand that came with it was too wide for the rack so I improvised.

The TV is a Samsung 7000-something 43 inch. It is quite good, but suffers from crushed blacks in its native apps, which is pretty bad. The signal from the BD player doesn’t have this problem, and 4k films through the BD player look great - you can get Amazon Prime, iPlayer and Netflix through the BD player so this covers most of the video streaming. (I would have sent the telly back but I had to saw a bit off the black part of the stand to get it to fit on the chopping board so I can’t.)

I got the rack custom made in oak from the HiFi Racks people - it was £800 but I think it is worth it - I am very taken with how it looks and it is nice and solid. They have an option for cable management and I am very glad I went for it. It is a vertical board with holes in attached to the back of the rack. I have a Russ Andrews power strip for the BD player, 272 and 250 cable tied to the cable management board and this keeps it nicely out of the way.

I think the Sony BD Player is a very good transport for music (bargain at £220) and I have its SPDIF coax output going via a Chord Clearway RCA-BNC into the BNC input of the 272. I actually think sound via UPnP through the BD player is better than sound from the 272’s streamer. I also have a few BD audio discs and they sound very good as well. The BD player is sat upon a couple of bamboo table mats.

I have a dedicated small computer with Daphile on it and all the music stored locally going from its USB output to the Chord Hugo, which in turn is into the Analogue 2 input of the 272. I have just done this today as a bit of an experiment. It sounds very good - I think the Hugo has more bass definition than the 272’s dac but it is early days. I will be getting a decent RCA - DIN cable to replace the basic one in there at the moment.

The guitar pick on top of the guitar amp is not just for the guitar - it is to switch on and off the Hugo - it is a tiny switch and very fiddly without this.

Hope this is somewhat interesting!

22 Likes

That rack looks particularly attractive, @SJT

2 Likes

Thanks - I am pleasantly surprised at how well the colour of the bamboo bits matches with the oak of the rack!

BTW re the Hugo - I am playing Ladies of the Canyon by Joni Mitchell in 24/192 through the Hugo and it is very convincing indeed - I think there is much more separation than with the 272. I have had the Hugo for 4 years and never thought of putting in the main system. It looks like the Hugo is staying.

Those red s40s look nice😎

3 Likes

Yes, it is a bold choice, but I really like the Special 40s in the red finish.

3 Likes