System Pics 2020

Interesting piece of kit.
I have just ordered a Nagra VII to have some fun with.

2 Likes

Re Nagra MPA, it’s an interesting amp. I didn’t know it.
With an unusual appearance, I have to say!
I bet it is very sweet.

1 Like

If it sounds like he’ll and produces zero pleasure… why on earth do you keep it?

2 Likes

One thing I have noticed so far is the Nagra runs quite hot, it has a vent with a fan on the front face that blows hot air, but it is dead silent. There are also a couple of vents on the top surface, but it definitely runs warmer than any Naim amp I have owned. You are right, it can be stood on its end, and also you can buy a module for it to run just as a straight amp. The gauges etc. would come out and be replaced by a flat panel. Just when you thought thought that is all…when it is set up as a straight amp, it can also be run in stereo, or used as a monoblock, but I would need another one.:pensive:
This amp is around ten years old, but just came back from a recap, or service, and a new fan was installed. I would think these new caps need to break in, so things could get better. One word that comes to mind when describing it’s sound is elegant, it just seems to have everything in perfect order.

3 Likes

@zipperheadbanjo Hello. Well, can’t afford to replace it. The Naim adventure was a massive mistake. Can’t see how anyone enjoys music with 90% bass and mid-bass, but we all have different tastes. Am definitely hoping to sell it all for a meager sum and downgrade to something that sounds 10 times better.

I knew it was here somewhere!

@Fifty-Fifty 's thread:

2 Likes

Yep. I’ve been trying them out on demo over the past week as a possible replacement for my Epos ES12s. They haven’t yet been broken in, and I’m probably just over half way through that process, but I’ve been impressed by their stereo imaging.

I had read a bunch of good things about Totem, and my local dealer has just started importing them. I heard a set of Tribe towers in the showroom and was very impressed by them, but they unfortunately we’re going out that day to another customer and would be a free months before new stock arrived, so the signature one’s were the second choice I wanted to check out. Even though they need breaking in, the performance from them has been good, so if the SL2s and me don’t get along I know where I’ll next be heading.

2 Likes

Am told they are excellent…

Love to hear it.

You may find yourself returning in due course. When a ‘friend’ offered me a pair of SBLs I suddenly found myself with a predominently Naim system after a break of twenty years!

Was the Nagra new or secondhand?

1 Like

Used, but just serviced.

1 Like

Let me know how the witch hat phantom cable compares

Thanks StuW

Will do. What’s your system? Can’t see it in your profile.

Have three but eventually go to two (consolidation) over next year or so when cease living in 2 locations re work

1. LP12 KLIMAX/252/SCDR/250DR/NEAT Ultimatum XLS’s ( fantastic speakers)
  2. CD5XS/nDAC/XPS2/SN3/HICAPDR/NEAT Momentum 3Xi
  3. NOVA/NEAT MINISTRA’s

As you can see I’m a huge fan of NEAT speakers with NAIM gear

1 Like

Wow that’s some collection. What is your impression of Ministras?

Excellent

Wondered how Ministras compare to momentum 3xi? Some good deals on these atm

A few upgrades since a few months back. Swapped listening rooms and I’ve had Kudos Titan 606s on home demo. My dealer (Geoff @ Acoustica) offered me a good deal on them and I’m pleased to say they’re keepers. Amazing speakers and the walnut finish really matches the rest of the wood in the room.

I picked up a gently used Fraim yesterday. I have to say the uplift in SQ and performance from my Quadraspire SVT is huge - I was not expecting that, happy days!

68 Likes

Very nice Bongoman!

1 Like

Hi,just interested to know what speakers you had previously,and in which way the Kudos were better,also how long did you need to audition the Kudos for, before deciding to keep them,hopefully I’m not being too nosey.