System Pics 2020

I have the same shelf, 3/4 full of lps, nice looking and functional. Make sure you use the hardware provided to fix it to the wall.

2 Likes

That is one thing I still have to do, fix it to the wall. I doubt my 4 albums will topple it over thoughšŸ˜¢ At least the assembly went smoothly.

14 Likes

Sonus Faber Olympica Nova 3 replaced the Focal Kanta 2 today. Silky trebles. Very happy. All still tunning in

Iver

39 Likes

Definitely warrants a new video Iver and a talk through the new speakers! :+1:t2:

2 Likes

Will do :slight_smile: @popeye

Hi @NO-QUARTER. Congratulations on the new setup. I found that both my Rega Planar 3 and RP 10 seem to find a part of the groove untouched by prior players. I have been amazed how many of my own ā€œtrashed recordsā€ from the 50s through 90s sound nearly new. Especially the original Tijuana Brass albums my dad played to death. And, I havenā€™t even bought a cleaning machine yet.

Give the old ones a spin before you ditch them, I say!

Enjoy.

Nick

Fun fact - I just read the Nagra MPA can be reconfigured by owner to vertical/tower orientation. I wonder if it sounds the same. Neat trick if no effect.

Nick

FYI, the Kallax should be fine without attaching to the wall unless you have kids about(?) i.e. it can take the strain of many LPs.

I would suggest (per another post on here somewhere) putting something on the back edge to prevent LPs pushing through, potentially marking the wall. I think the subject poster used a large gauge self-adhesive foam/rubber stop akin to a large self-adhesive draft excluder.

Iā€™ve put a bit of carpet tile underneath mine, as this enables easy-ish movement without scratching the floor if you need to get behind. My house is often mini-spider-ville at times, with a regular need to get a vacuum nozzle behind.

1 Like

Interesting piece of kit.
I have just ordered a Nagra VII to have some fun with.

2 Likes

Re Nagra MPA, itā€™s an interesting amp. I didnā€™t know it.
With an unusual appearance, I have to say!
I bet it is very sweet.

1 Like

If it sounds like heā€™ll and produces zero pleasureā€¦ why on earth do you keep it?

2 Likes

One thing I have noticed so far is the Nagra runs quite hot, it has a vent with a fan on the front face that blows hot air, but it is dead silent. There are also a couple of vents on the top surface, but it definitely runs warmer than any Naim amp I have owned. You are right, it can be stood on its end, and also you can buy a module for it to run just as a straight amp. The gauges etc. would come out and be replaced by a flat panel. Just when you thought thought that is allā€¦when it is set up as a straight amp, it can also be run in stereo, or used as a monoblock, but I would need another one.:pensive:
This amp is around ten years old, but just came back from a recap, or service, and a new fan was installed. I would think these new caps need to break in, so things could get better. One word that comes to mind when describing itā€™s sound is elegant, it just seems to have everything in perfect order.

3 Likes

@zipperheadbanjo Hello. Well, canā€™t afford to replace it. The Naim adventure was a massive mistake. Canā€™t see how anyone enjoys music with 90% bass and mid-bass, but we all have different tastes. Am definitely hoping to sell it all for a meager sum and downgrade to something that sounds 10 times better.

I knew it was here somewhere!

@Fifty-Fifty 's thread:

2 Likes

Yep. Iā€™ve been trying them out on demo over the past week as a possible replacement for my Epos ES12s. They havenā€™t yet been broken in, and Iā€™m probably just over half way through that process, but Iā€™ve been impressed by their stereo imaging.

I had read a bunch of good things about Totem, and my local dealer has just started importing them. I heard a set of Tribe towers in the showroom and was very impressed by them, but they unfortunately weā€™re going out that day to another customer and would be a free months before new stock arrived, so the signature oneā€™s were the second choice I wanted to check out. Even though they need breaking in, the performance from them has been good, so if the SL2s and me donā€™t get along I know where Iā€™ll next be heading.

2 Likes

Am told they are excellentā€¦

Love to hear it.

You may find yourself returning in due course. When a ā€˜friendā€™ offered me a pair of SBLs I suddenly found myself with a predominently Naim system after a break of twenty years!

Was the Nagra new or secondhand?

1 Like

Used, but just serviced.

1 Like

Let me know how the witch hat phantom cable compares

Thanks StuW