System Pics 2020

Nothing escapes your eagle eyes, mr Dane. Not sure if they are Ferrograph but definitely not the original ones. They are just stamped Made In England.

Lovely Tony - I have said before that the reel-to-reel is the sexiest looking piece of audio gear, and this is but another example.

4 Likes

Agreed DrMark.

One of the largest audio mistakes I ever made was to sell my 1970 (bought new for about Ā£40) Grundig TK 141 tape recorder (mono, I couldnā€™t afford the stereo version) to raise funds for a then top of the range Hitachi twin motor portable cassette, still mono, in 1974.

The Grundig sounded superb on its own & through the hi fi. The Hitachi was one of the better cassette recorders of the time but sounded poor through its own speaker & even worse through the hi fi.

The Grundig went to a work college who put it through a PA system to provide background music & effects in the theatre for his amateur theatrical group. It was still doing sterling service when I lost touch with him in the 1980ā€™s. I attempted to buy it back on several occasions but he was having none of it.

3 Likes

Yup, they look like they are from Ferrograph.

1 Like

Thanks Richard. I should really try and get a pair of Revox ones to make it all original but some people are asking stupid money for them. Donā€™t mention the original Perspex cover! :flushed:

Tony, the Ferrograph NABs were a popular fitment to many early Revox R2Rs. My very early 77A came with a set. I do like the later Revox NABs though and use them almost exclusively on all my R2Rs, including the Sony TC-755. They arenā€™t cheap but you should be able to get a pair for about Ā£50-60.

As for the cover, I take it youā€™re referring to the big ā€œMickey Mouseā€ ear cover? Itā€™s pretty cool, but yes, the last one I saw was very pricey indeed!

2 Likes

Yep, the MM ones. As for the NABs, Iā€™ll shop around and see what I can find.
I remember well your A77 and the TCs are also really cool looking decks. Cheers, Richard!:sunglasses:

Such a cool looking bit of kit. Iā€™d love to try and photograph one. :sunglasses:

2 Likes

Fine wine and music vibrations donā€™t go well together @aproo. :joy:

That depends, this was pretty nice.

18 Likes

Beautiful vases and glasswareā€¦
let alone the Saint Julien.

2 Likes

Hahaha I think Iā€™ll be fine. Donā€™t have any Romanee Conti in there!

Haim,

Iā€™ve always kept all my displays off, whenever possible. Mainly to avoid useless aging. But perhaps red lights last longer than green ones, like when youā€™re waiting at a crossroad in your car.

I have a costly Pic Recognition Software and I alert you, the babyā€™s eyes are pointed exactly at the tip of the TTā€™s cartridge.

2 Likes

They do and blue LEDs have the shortest life of all.

1 Like

My little office system. A Naim DAC V1 and Genelec G2. Sounds very good.

19 Likes

Looks like a super-cool desk system. Please tell us more about your active speakers ā€” not sure if we have seen these before in the Forum. :smiley:

Yes, please do tell, I am very interested - are those the 8010s or the 8030s?

Neither. This is Genelec G2. The G series is their ā€œhomeā€ version of the studio monitors, where G1 is the smallest and G5 the largest.
There is no volume control so a preamp or source with a volume control is needed.

The G2 is a two way active speaker built in aluminum (very solid). 2 x 50W class D built-in amp with 105 mm bass driver and 19 mm tweeter.

The rubber stand configuration makes it possible to tilt them and it prevents the vibrations (if you play loud) to propagate to the table.

1 Like

Thanks for the info - much appreciated.