System Pics 2020

Temporary garage system.

Ruark, audiolab with musicworks and Chord speaker cables.
Turkish carpet, carpet world sample and wicker closet box from Robert Sayles.

Source will be an i device connected by its headphone jack through RCA.

Perfect for some youtubed Glenn Miller and Vera Lynn come Friday for a neighbourly safe distancing bunted bash to celebrate VE 75.

17 Likes

I would be very tempted to place a Philips cd 100 in place of the Mac mini!

3 Likes

I used to own an Audiolab amp which I bi amped with their power amp. Very good value for money.

The audio rack looks vintage as well!

Ooh - I used to have one of those Nytechs. They were very good.

2 Likes

I’m too young to remember, but weren’t Nytech amps often viewed as a sort of ‘poor man’s Naim’ back in the day (not that that’s a criticism)?

Mark

1 Like

It was a Nytech receiver back in the day if you couldn’t afford Naim or a NAD3020A if you couldn’t afford that. Then upgrade the LP12 as far as you can before worrying about the amp again. A Sansui and a packet of Rizlas worked too.

5 Likes

You know there’s going to come a time when you’ll need to get rid of that old reel to reel you know. :rofl::rofl::grin:

3 Likes

La vengeance est un plat qui se mange froid. Try google translate. Perhaps is there a similar expression in English?

1 Like

I remember that some used to compare Naim ( olive) with DMN amps.

2 Likes

Too may boxes again.

Having owned a nytech 252 (it’s pictured in the Sondek thread) my feeling was it was more of a stepping stone. In my case, I felt that it was testing the water to a better future system away from mainstream hi-fi like the Pioneer (my first system) I previously owned.

Certainly it sounded better, and yes, the designer in me loved the ultra cool looks. It wasn’t until I went to a hi-fi show with a work colleague who was an enthusiast that I got to hear naim. We visited all the exhibitiors, then went back to the naim room and stayed as long as we could, as we were hooked! :grin:

1 Like

I always fancied DNM amps. Unfortunately I was unable to afford it, so used a Naim Nait instead, which I still have.

1 Like

Do they share some Naim sound characteristics? I have never listened to them.

A simple change in placement. I was unhappy with the altar of gear between the speakers so I had to buy a three shelves Guizu rack and everything is where it has always been and should always stay, by the side of the yellow sofa.

The photo has not been taken in 1974 as it may seem, but a few minutes ago and since I am a very incapable photographer I toy with post production and this is the result, which I don’t dislike because btw in 1974 I was strangely very happy.

40 Likes

There’s one in Italian. Curiously, we say ‘La vendetta è una piatto che si serve freddo’ – Revenge is dish that must be served cold.
My memory span is too short for both revenge and lies, so I ended up being unwillingly equanimous and sincere.

4 Likes

With apologies to the Dude, that rug really ties the system together…

5 Likes

@TOBYJUG Will anyone be isolating inside the basket?

1 Like

Max, what a great looking room. The picture does remind me somewhat of the room shots that used to be a part of the old Tech Hifi catalogues from the late '70s and early '80s. At school we used to pore over those, lusting after giant Infinity speakers and cool looking Vector Research kit. There might have even been some Klipsches in there somewhere.

1 Like

Lovely room Max.