System Pics 2020

How do you remember what all the turn dials, switches and buttons do ?

Didnā€™t they label everything quite concisely in those days?

Bit like the labels on everything in the batman TV series

2 Likes

Changes since last Photo:

1. Pulled all the speaker cable out, dressed the mains so they are 3in away from the signal cables. Aligned the Burndy so its not touching anything and dressed the naim interconnects to make sure they are 3in from the mains.
  2. Moved the 72 one level above the Hicap, and offset it.
  3. Added a Mark Grant mains cable to the CDS/CDPS. I didnā€™t realise I had managed to loose a naim standard power lead, it was using a bog standard IT spec lead.

All three minor modifications individually provided an uplift in clarity. The finance committee (wife) was so impressed with the mains cable Iā€™ve been given approval to buy a few more. So I will be ordering some over the weekend for the 250 and Hicap. I just cannot bring myself to buy a power line and the lite did not impress me at all.

Im currently moving the speakers all around to try and find a sweet spot. Currently 17in from each wall with no toe in.

Oh and I got my new speaker stands, Dali ones, glass base and metal frame. I have partially filled them with sand.

27 Likes

17 inch sounds a lot D. Used to be a general rule many years ago that less than 12 inches or more then 3 feet Anything inbetween set up unwanted reflective dissonance effects. The cognoscenti on here will update that hopefully. Also donā€™t have them equidistant from each wall in the corners, again old school advice so may not be current thinking. Give it a try?

Thanks P.

Interesting that the same faces pop up all over the place :slight_smile: - I do hope youā€™re well.

They are new and rear ported, so no idea what works yet. Dealer said start at the back wall and move them forwards an inch at a time until they sound good, then do the same side to side, until they sing.

I havenā€™t got too far yet. 17in x 17in was not working, the imaging was out. Wider (and closer to the side walls) seems to have improved imaging.

You put glasses and observešŸ˜Š

1 Like

Beautifully presented system. Curtains and decor make your amazing system look fantastic. Well done!

1 Like

You have an amazing system. Your speakers are something to behold! Bet is sounds sensational.

1 Like

Thanks!

ā€¦+1 for Pete at Acoustica doing creative deals. Thatā€™s how I ended up with a P10 3 weeks after buying a P8 from a different source and now ecstatic bunny (thatā€™s a few notches up from happy bunny) :yum:

Summary

This text will be hidden

Sounding sweeter every day.

G

15 Likes

I have now set up the CDS3 with the 555PS and it sounds superb, better than the XPS2.

More detail, more texture, timbres, clearer and more natural presentation. Greater focus and depth.

Very very impressed.

Itā€™s set up with the 555PS I use for my NDS. So will swap it back unfortunately! But not until Iā€™ve played some more CDs. Will have to slum it with the XPS2 as I donā€™t want to be chaging burndies every time I want to alternate between sources.

Will be interesting to see how things sound going back on the XPS2.

5 Likes

I think we all know how this will end ā€¦ 555PS incoming! :man_shrugging:

6 Likes

Our little corner (updated)

All the pieces came together, updated speakers, dedicated spur, removal of many boxes to the attic. Pete from Acoustica set up the system in under two hours, it would have taken me days and then weeks wondering if I done it correctly.

Sounds fab, apart from some loud transformer hum from each power supply that gets in the way of quiet passages of music. Any suggestions?

Anyway I think I got away with it as the dogs donā€™t seem to have noticed and Mrs 00 didnā€™t think it was a bad as she thought it was going to be. RESULT !

26 Likes

Isol-8 Powerline Axis sorted my humming issues and improved fidelity.

Wouldā€™t be without it now.

G

2 Likes

Thanks for the comment @GraemeH, Iā€™m using Wireworld Matrix 2 with a Powerline Lite.
I wondered if changing the plugs around would help. Everything except the Rega phono is going through it. I do remember reading that putting the power amp directly into the wall was preferred by some.

1 Like

Is that a DC Blocker?

G

Hi @GraemeH
No itā€™s just a mains block, but not as expensive as yours at around Ā£120, without the power lead which as mentioned is a Powerline lite.

1 Like

Youā€™ve got one of your speakers stuck in the corner between the sofa arm and the box stack? :flushed::thinking: