System Pics 2020

Am I spotting an RME ADI-2? How do you like the DAC and pre-amp? Any better than the Chord Hugo TT (2?) you tried before?

Cheers!

I think it would be most appropriate to find whoever will be the first person on the forum to see in 2021, who can then start the System Pics 2021 thread actually on January 1st.

So most likely a member living close to the IDL, perhaps in New Zealand or one of the islands in the pacific. Anybody wish to do the honours?

Failing that, Iā€™ll start it once 2021 begins at the IDL.

7 Likes

I like the idea that someone starts it on Jan 1.

As far as I know, we have at least one member living in Samoa ā€¦

1 Like

Wireless power? I donā€™t get how you can hide all cables so well. Here it looks like a power plant explosionā€¦ :man_shrugging: :see_no_evil:

Hi @Naim_The_Dragon you are right I have bought an RME ADI-2 DAC fs. I intended to use its DSP to in part counter the poor acoustics of my room. The room and my set up has a strong bass hump at around 50 and 100Hz.

The RME ADI-2 DAC fs, (who names these things?) has bass and treble controls as well as 5 band parametric EQ. After my previous experiments with the Hugo TT2, I wasnā€™t sure how this would work out, but it fits in very well. I would say that it has a neutral sound, and manages to drive the NAP very well indeed. I donā€™t know what the Naim sound is so I canā€™t say if it retains it, however, compared to the SU performing streaming/preamp duties it is more resolving and loses none of the dynamics, putting the SU back in gives the impression of pressing an old-style ā€˜loudness buttonā€™ but without the silly emphasis, its a little bit like the SU has been voiced to impress which may be true due to its intended market. I think I prefer the RME to the SU in that respect.

Tinkering with the DSP EQ adds another dimension, as it allows me to de-emphasise my bass issue, separate EQ profiles can be programmed to a series of buttons on the remote such that music with overblown bass which tend to excite my room can be tempered at the press of a button. To ā€˜my earsā€™ the DSP, when used in moderation, (not extreme profiles), has no effect on SQ. Others with more modern ears may find different.

As to my time with the Hugo TT2 last year, it was too short. I liked the resolving sound, perhaps I needed to try it for longer to see if I would grow the like it more. With the RME I found no change in the impetus to the music, just an improvement in resolution and the ability to temper my bass issue.

3 Likes

Its dark and I chose my camera angles carefully :0)

Brilliant :clap:t2::joy::joy: ATB Peter

Iā€™m usually hangover but Iā€™m sure someone from around these parts will kick it off. Still think itā€™s @anon4489532 honour and would rather see him at the helm.

1 Like

HH has said that he doesnā€™t want to kick off the 2021 System Pics.

1 Like

Gee that edit was a bit rich, it was said tongue in cheek and thereā€™s been much worst.

1 Like

In the context of the discussion, I felt it was judicious.

Hi Richard,
Purely out of curiosity what strings are attached to being the kick starter of the annual Picture thread?
ATB Peter

Ok, ok! No need to argue. Iā€™ll do it!:sunglasses:

3 Likes

Yeah but Tony, you havenā€™t even got a system, as far as I can see :roll_eyes:. ATB Peter

2 Likes

Peter, are you heading out to NZ for New Yearā€™s Eve?

1 Like

Do I get the job now?:grin:

21 Likes

Now let me just check the West Sussex Covid Tier system ā€¦ nah, donā€™t think so!
Still Iā€™m curious about the strings attached or perks possibly even. Does one need to wear a uniformā€¦ etc.? :thinking: ATB Peter

There is a good lad! Best Peter
( Still wish people would state their systems on their profile though)

Ooh, and I get patronised as well. Iā€™m well chuffed!:sunglasses:

Said in jest, Iā€™m certainā€¦

That said though, cracking system you have there @anon10403888

1 Like