System Pics 2021

Lovely setup!

And to add, I’ve only owned 4 pieces of Naim kit. I still have 3 of them!

Nait 3
CD5
XS3 replaced the Nait 3
Unitiqute1

Long live the “reasonably priced” Naim systems.

6 Likes

Lovely system, I still have my NAT03 in the rack (as an insurance)

1 Like

Thank you.

Indeed, the key is to realise the value of contentment in our lives.

…and to avoid being taken in by advertising and marketing, which seems more about aspiration and “feeling” rather than a presentation of factual information about the product.

I am not necessarily thinking about Naim here, for example, look at automobile advertising.

Long live the “reasonably priced” Naim systems?

Well, I confess that although some my Naim boxes were second hand, the 1980’s was before Naim pricing went a little mad, and increased considerably (see another topic that was looking at Naim Price lists, and I think there was a spreadsheet somewhere) I had “the guilts” for years having spent so much on the hifi, at a time when we were not best placed to spend, although in the early 1980’s I seemed to save enough, but in the 1990’s I wish I had the savings as things were not so good for us, and, in fact, never recovered. This may have influenced my opinions regarding money, and, although I must not mention it, politics!

ps, thank you Ian for your appreciation.

pps, no I will not stray into the moderators world, and I will say no more about the p word. I have “been had” before.

3 Likes

Nothing changed for a loooong time!

OH!
I just got a recapped Xovers for Briks and improvements were staggering! :flushed:

All Bennic 'lytic caps have been replaced by Alcap. I agonised over which brand of caps but thought these would be a good starting point. Wish I did it sooner.

44 Likes

Am I the only one who sees a face in this picture? Speaker drive units are the eyes, Naim box the nose, mouth directly underneath. :smiley:

3 Likes

Great point, thank you. I meant it a bit tongue in cheek, but yes, a “reasonably priced” CB or olive system today was a chunk of money new.

I hope to change my system rarely. I have spent a fair bit (for me) over recent years, and consider I have truly fabulous sounds now, over 2 systems, tv into UQ into iotas, and my main XS3 based system. I’m very happy, and the rest of the family enjoy the sounds too. If my XS3 does me for as long as my Nait 3 did (20 years) I’ll consider that some sort of ok compromise wrt sensible and balanced household expenditure. Though the month I bought the XS3 was a very big month indeed X)

[edit: @Richard.Dane any chance you can unlock the “Naim vs other brands, why are you here” thread please (Naim vs other brands, why are you here?)? It locked just a day or so ago and I was going to continue the theme in there rather than this thread.]

I’m liking that Art Deco mirror too

1 Like

Yes, I did immediately… was tempted to do a ‘photoshop’ reply but too busy at the moment.

1 Like

Whenever I proudly show pictures of the gear to friends and family, the most common response is, ‘I like the mirror.’ :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

1 Like

I want your CB NAT02 fergch :stuck_out_tongue:

Rare as hen’s teeth , trying to locate one in Australia but I doubt any of the CB ones managed to get this far

Well, not for sale!!

However, I agree they sem hardly ever to appear on the second hand sales you know where, or even in the dealers (not that I ever look, just my impression), and even more so in Australia.

Is there a good FM broadcast service in Australia?

We are just about clinging onto the proper un-compressed BBC (Radios 3 and 4), but it seems under constant threat from the bean counters.

DAB just does not compare.

Assuming one has a decent aerial the, Naim is quite superb, as I am sure you know.

6 Likes

New speakers. Q Acoustics Concept 500

44 Likes

Careful with those tweeters…!

2 Likes

I’m not sure it was @JanW 's inquisitive digits that caused the problem with the ASWs… they were appropriately ambiguous regarding the cause X)

Awesome replacements though!

1 Like

Very nice - the Concept 500s look good in your room :+1:

2 Likes

Are those the actual bases with the oval? If so, that should be an option for all speakers for us folks that have a robot vacuum😂

Scott

1 Like

:slight_smile: yes they are! Some find it awful. Personally I do not find it beautiful but interesting. No robot vacuum issues but you need to scoop out some dust in between :slight_smile:

I already contacted the dealer for fronts

Hi fergch

Plenty of FM stations in Australia, but I guess like everywhere a lot of them are junk. I listen to a couple of community radio stations and they are great

Always rumours they are going to close FM down but it seems to keep going

Yes the Naim quality is outstanding. I have the CB NAT 01 tuner and it gets lots of use, I love it. I’ll keep my hopes up for locating the CB NAT 02 one day for my second system

At one point years ago I had the NAT 05 but that was a dud in comparison

Thanks for he pic fergch of your NAT 02

Bevo

2 Likes

Regardless of the speakers’ sound quality those have to be the worst bases in the history of speaker design. They are absolutely dreadful. What were the designers thinking?

2 Likes