System Pics 2021

I’ve had the Planar 8 for a couple of years. The skeletal foam plinth is so small that would be very hard mark it as it’s barely accessible.

1 Like

Thanks for the reply @Mike_S, I’m glad that the distance is totally fine. In this case I think I might plan to get the Forests in the future (however I need to change a few things before that).
What about the distances with your Hawks?
My Sky Towers are 0.75 m far from the rear wall and are 2 m far from each other (speakers and listening position are in an equilateral triangle as in your case).
When I bought the NDX 2, I had to move them forward in order to get a more neutral bass and midrange, as well as a wider and cleaner soundstage.

The Hawks are 0.78 from the rear wall and 2.4m apart (due to furniture positioning and are now in the lounge - I have swapped systems between rooms. (BTW, the Hawks are no longer listed on the Totem website, so they may have been discontinued?):

36 Likes

And the final verdict on SQ is….?

Morning light

74 Likes

It’s covered over at this thread @NigelB

Loving the room. The floor. The colour of the walls. The view out the window.

5 Likes

Quad ESL’s are still hugely popular you only have to look around the internet to see that have you ever tried them with a Quad power amp? A 909 or the Quad QSP that I’ve just owned would really put some power into them but the amp I very nearly purchased before my Hegel the Artera Stereo would be excellent.

Bob, thanks for your reply. I am very happy with my Naim Supernait plus HiCap, so no need for a new amplifier. I was just curious if there are other Quad ESL owners on the Naim forum.

Is that your password?

We’ve both placed them in a similar way, but you might have a better soundstage than me given the 2.4 m distance. However I won’t complain, my Sky Towers do sound great right now.

You are right, I just noticed it! Maybe they want the Sky Towers to replace the Hawks? My dealer wasn’t that keen on selling me the Hawks as far as I remember. It’s hard to say given the current situation, but I expect Totem to do something about their subs at least.

It looks that way. But THB, those Hawks just have something very special in their imaging.

2 Likes

Did you compare the Sky Towers and the Hawks?
I can’t say anything, I haven’t been able to compare the two. However somebody told me exactly what you said! I’m already in love with the Sky Towers imaging, so I do wonder how the imaging changes through the range. I had a quick session with the Forests and, to be honest, I thought the imaging was a touch better with the Sky Towers. I found it a bit strange… maybe it’s because it was a quick session indeed.

1 Like

No, the Sky Towers came out well after I bought my Hawks (about 7 years ago). When I’ve heard the Towers, I have really liked them, so I think its just a matter of system matching and balance.

Lovely, tell me more about your system ( turntable, cables etc…), if I may!
Thank you,
regards
David

Looks like they use a version of the little scanspeak 5.5 coated revelator driver. A nice driver. I built a diy bookshelf using the oem version. Very smooth, and really great bass output for a small unit.

Looks great Joost but have you got enough space behind them? I had understood that the ESLs sounded best with about a third of the room length behind them.

You are right, indeed they changed for the better when I replaced my previous DAC with the NDX 2, they didn’t even seem the same speakers to my ears and the imaging had a substantial leap forward.

1 Like

They are now 50 cms from the wall and sound already pretty good. For serious listening I move them forward to 1 meter from the wall. This is in my experience enough to give a slightly better placement of the instruments and a tighter bass. My listening position is seven meters from there.

Hello jhavar, I wanted to ask you if you made the piece of furniture made to measure with that closure that interests me a lot or is it from a specific company? Can you give me the link or name of this company?