System Pics 2021

Right, so put the valve head back on and switched off, remove cap and see if it has a washer inside it, if not a 1/2 rubber washer will fit in nicely and be a much better job than loads of ptfe tape on the threads as the threads are parallel so not designed to seal, the washer will guarantee a good seal

1 Like

Those look smashing. Wished I was so talented.

Think it’s time for a plumbing thread so this can revert to its theme?

2 Likes

Back to system pics

3 Likes

Thanks Dunc. I won’t carry on with this here as it will annoy everyone! I might continue in the Padded Cell!

1 Like

Yep probably for the best, but to get back on topic

A latest pic, speakers moved, much more air around them for a faster bass and cleaner detailed sound.
Power supplies put back in lower position, had to get creative with burndy cables.
Turntable and dCS swapped over.
Solid oak under Turntable
Bamboo under both dCS units.
Cover for Turntable.
Also removed the cisco switch from the room and in its place a ER and mcru power supply, in separate room.
Also have 2 home made room treatment panels that I place at the first reflection point, makes a nice improvement especially on the right hand side ( cabinet side )
Moved my headphone amp, its now next to my chair, so much easier to use.

49 Likes

Where is the cd555?:slight_smile:

4 Likes

You’ve come a long way since your Olive days. Looks great and no doubt sounds even better.

1 Like

Holding my door open lol, where else would it be.

2 Likes

Yes, dont have anything left from it, apart from the rack, thats been in the loft for a few years now

A few very specialized fittings among that lot, great picture to find, unless you are a secret copper polisher in your spare time? Lol

Sorry back to system pics lol

Just a quick query for people who have recently updated their system rack positions. I will be doing a clean and service on my stuff soon and have brains on the left stack and brawn on the right. I am considering swapping them over so brain on the right with the brawn a bit further away from me in the corner of the room to try and get further away from the transformer hum. I think perhaps this might cause some problems with the burndy’s as the 300PS and Supercap sockets are on the left of the units looking from the front so might stretch the burndy’s out too much.
Any thoughts on this.
Cheers
Tim

Probably worth starting a new topic to get more detailed answers rather than ask in system pics

1 Like

You don’t want to do that for other reasons. Naim put the most sensitive analogue circuits (like volume pots and output stages) on the left of brain boxes. And they put the power supplies on the right of brawn boxes. Putting brawn on the right keeps noisy bits as far as possible away from sensitive bits.

This did not work when I had a 300 and PS side by side on two stacks of Fraim - the two Burndies simply weren’t long enough. If you had two narrower racks it may well be ok. Do bear in mind though, as others have said, that having the power supplies on the right gets the transformers as far as possible from the sensitive bits in the head units. Whether you hear a difference in practice, however, is anyone’s guess.

2 Likes

I don’t know whether this will work for you, but I have the sc on a bottom shelf, spare shelf above then the 252 above that. The same with the 300. PS on the bottom, space, then 300 on the next shelf. It helps me with the burndy’s having a straight drop.

Thanks for all the comments and bugger! Totally forgot about the sensitive stuff on the left and the transformers on the right. Looks like I’ll have to have another think as the right stack has six power supplies on it of various shapes and sizes and the 300 DR PS is the noisiest of them all, followed by the XPS DR and then the Supercap.

Tim

Beautiful system Dunc.

Cheers