System Pics 2021

Thanks Tony, I have no symptoms, have now had two negative tests ( 1x Lateral flow and 1X PCR) but still have four days to go! I am enjoying revisiting the old system though.

1 Like

And your brushes! I hope it’s been a creative time.

That’s the problem I haven’t been able to paint for weeks. We’re strange animals normally I love being stuck at home paint and listen to some music, seems different when you’re told to stay at home.

5 Likes

Time to paint the ‘Breakout’ series?

2 Likes

Thanks to being one of the shielding brigade, I have spent the best part of 6 months at home during various lockdowns. I found the experience quite enjoyable but did find it a bit challenging once colleagues started going back to work when I wasn’t allowed to. Teaching primary from home isn’t straightforward. Fortunately, in England at least, we were allowed out for exercise from early on.

Don’t really have a choice but thanks anyway. We choose to suppress which we were very good at but it’s made a lot of people complacent and it also put us on the end of the queue for the vaccine.

I found an old picture of the first speaker I made. I was 24 and pretty much just used a few cheap tools in the back yard. I remember veneering it on the kitchen worktop with books weighting it down. The finish is not as good as it looks in the photo. The lacquer was a bit uneven!

28 Likes

And the latest….

64 Likes

Your speakers have grown considerably over the years. :grin:

2 Likes

Yes they have. The larger my speakers have got the more natural and real everything seems to sound and I haven’t been able to go back. I have a pair of bookshelf speakers that I pop on every now and then to remind me. It’s really easy to get used to what you have.

5 Likes

I don’t think I’d get that past the wife but what an awesome job there Mark - looks great. I’m thinking they must be super efficient to still only be powered by the little guy!

1 Like

Yes, if it hadn’t been for the vaccine coming along I was beginning to wonder what my long-term employability was going to be as the authorities wouldn’t let me go to work in each of our 3 lockdowns - they wouldn’t accept liability. Going into a shop after 4 months of not setting foot/being allowed in one was an unusual experience. The joys of not having a spleen!

Yeah they are an easy load. Those top three drivers that you see are powered by the Atom and are 91.5 db sensitivity and 8ohm impedance with a brief minimum dip of 4ohm. There is a 12” bass driver in the bottom but that’s powered by a 250 watt hypex class d plate amps. That’s not to say they won’t do better with more power. I am eyeing up a nap 200 at the moment to strap to the Atom.

3 Likes

@Mark84 They look absolutely amazing, what a great piece of work!

2 Likes

My body is a mirror of your speakers. I miss my first floor stander look😁.

4 Likes

Slightly less Naim in my system than the last time I posted, but the NDX2 and 555DR remain! Finally got delivery of the HiFi Rack legs I needed to add the MacIntosh units. Sounding as good as it looks - although the tube pre is getting warmer than I’d like so might have to add a bit more height on that side.

26 Likes

Love this setup :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Looks fantastic!

Love the Kans - I had my first pair in 1984. Much underrated speakers. Yours look great

Than you. It was a good decision I think.