System Pics 2021

Same for me here .

I don’t think I could keep up with the dust on a turntable without a cover, a must have

Rather nice setup you have there and yes I’m jealous of you SL2’s.
I bet it sounds great and a nice looking room to boot.

1 Like

My Planar 8 stays nice and clean and the little dust cover works extremely well, so it’s really not an issue. The deck is so small that it’s totally covered, and the P10 is of course the same size.

1 Like

Yes, and fiddling around with the (also good looking) dust cover of the new series that you have to lie down elsewhere does not seem appealing to a person as clumsy as me.

Hi Max,

as one of those who miss you here, thanks for what is most likely only a short return. Without Roberto and you, I wouldn’t have this above my head:

All the best to you, wherever you are and whatever your choice of equipment is.

3 Likes

Great and impressive system! Congratulations!

I am quite surprised to see the Rega turntables mounted on those wall brackets quite often. Does it really make such a difference?

1 Like

Thanks. Does the wall shelf make a difference to SQ? Not that I noticed. For me it was simply that it worked space-wise with what I had available.

1 Like

Qutest has bumped the RME ADI 2 out of the main (modest) system into the office for headphone duties.

27 Likes

Clinical usually has a negative connotation to hifi but is the word that came to mind - very neat and tidy. Lovely system. :+1:

OMG, I don’t know much about turntables and thought the Collaro is a carlsberg place mat. Not even 9am yet!

1 Like

Very nice Dave. How does the SL2 in the corner handle being placed so tight in there?

Also, what led to the tweeter change, had the originals noticeably drop off in performance and if so, can you describe what effect it was having on the sounds or maybe it’s easier to say the difference the new tweeters have made?

Cheers, Rack.

Hi Rack - where the SL2s are is literally the only place they can be in the room. It’s small. They sound great to me but, TBF, I’ve not heard them anywhere else as that was where Jason set them up as being the best spot. I’m comforted by the fact that Jason reckoned they sounded great where they are.

The tweeters’ foam surrounds were degrading quite badly. They didn’t sound bad before I replaced them but there was a definite improvement with the fresh pair. I really just thought it was worth doing while Naim still had some in stock.

I asked Jason’s advice on it at last year’s Bristol show and he said it was well worth doing and was happy to do the installation for me which was so kind of him.

The most interesting difference was actually in the leading edge of the bass which I was not expecting. The treble performance on them was and is absolutely remarkable as I’m sure you know.

Cheers

Dave

1 Like

Thanks Marco. The furniture is West Elm’s “Industrial” line made out of mango wood. I started with their standard media-bookshelf and then I had custom tongue and groove maple shelf inserts designed and built by Timbernation - a custom hi fi furniture wood working shop. I found them via an article about them in Tone Magazine. Chris does beautiful work. They have a great gallery of their work online. I then used mainly IsoAcoustics isolation pads (or similar pad/platforms) under the equipment. A few of the isolation pieces I made myself using custom made small bamboo “cutting boards” and glass shelves from another online woodworking shop.

The animals are my modern version of the Wall Street “Bull and Bear”. They were designed by Jonathan Adler. I have several of his pieces. You can find his “store” online. He just came out with some new animal pieces this month.

1 Like

Richard,
One of my favorite albums - Coltrane and the Duke :clap:

2 Likes

Still strugeling how to set it up. Which part where. And waiting for my audio signal only cable from the uk.
Never heard my set playing. I can’t wait.

15 Likes

Hi Dave. Looking again at the picture of the Left SL2 next to the brickwork, I can see why Jason suggested putting the Right speaker close to the corner as it’s in a similar position in reality to the Left and it obviously works well for you so that’s great.

I can’t see any foam degradation on my tweeters so I’ll leave well alone and doubt Naim would have any matched pairs left now anyway.

I have my Left SL2 around 25cm away from the radiator in the corner and the Right is on the open end of the wall. They’re 2.8m apart and I sit around 2.9m from them. I’m thinking of bringing them a bit closer together but not too close to the AV unit that’s between them as I’m not sure if it will interact with the speakers. I get a good imaging between the speakers but fancy trying to see what effect there might be.

14 Likes

Rack,

For reference my old degraded tweeters looked like this:

And the replacements:

It might be worth asking your dealer to enquire of Naim as to stock availability. They may have some left.

Cheers

Dave

7 Likes

Beautifully centred Dave :+1:t3: ATB Peter

1 Like

Thanks Peter. Unfortunately I can take no credit as Mr Gould did the install…

3 Likes

Just checked mine again and the foam on the Left speaker looks like new but the Right might be just starting to degrade slightly. If I touch the surface it marks quite easily.

Are you able to say how much the total cost of the replacements were?

Cheers, Rack.