System Pics 2022

I was going to add something to my reply about a 500 series level of 272 successor to compete with the Linn KDSM Organik. If that were available, I wonder if it would ease my decision to reduce box count? Somehow I can’t imagine Naim Audio adopting SMPS though.

1 Like

Think there’s a lot us that were waiting on a 272 replacement, I know I was and probably still are.

1 Like

Great shame about the NAT. (I can’t imagine falling out of love with FM.)

1 Like

Info only ha

1 Like

Yep. Life’s too short though :slightly_frowning_face:

2 Likes

Tin edition Muso, I heard. :wink:

Yes it’s a bit of a weird one why naim haven’t gone there yet

Linn do the Akurate DMS streamer ( plus the expensive Klimax DMS) which have the pre amp

By all accounts pretty good too

Damn you’ve just given me a great idea for a new thread, the 272 replacement. :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

5 Likes

Ha ha keep at it mate

Pretty good, but not the weight and slam of your 252/250 in my comparison.

Yes it would Mike. As you know I tried the Nova but I wasn’t happy with it in combination with my speakers.

As a general comment, not specifically to you, Mike: I posted the picture on here only because I have the items up for sale elsewhere and I wanted to avoid the almost inevitable questions on here. There are a number of reasons behind me doing this, in particular I found I was buying the vinyl just because it was a new release on Blue Note, Acoustic Sounds or wherever - the collecting and format aspect was becoming too dominant. As others have so rightly said, it’s the music that matters.

I hope people will leave it there, and not derail your thread. It most certainly wasn’t the intention. You were, of course, entirely right about the excellence of the NDX2 with SN2 or 3, it just took me a while to get there!!

15 Likes

surprised about you ditching the NAT, it’s only small and could have been squeezed in somewhere, it’s also quite elegant so left on top of the rack would be ok. Yes the NDX 2 covers the radio requirement but theres something nice about fm particularly from a box such as the NAT. The TT I can understand though.

2 Likes

There is always a space on the bottom shelf!! It may yet stay - Richard has said the same thing to me.

4 Likes

I kind of miss the setup. The SN2 has gone (a slight regret) and NDX2 is in the other room and the Nova is here now. I couldn’t justify having two NDX2s, so that is where I landed. I figured if I down size, it’s either the Nova, or I keep the NDX2 and add an integrated.

15 Likes

Well yes Mike it’s the weight and slam that does it for me with Naim , with you on that one

And obviously the 252/250 has more of that than the SN3 , I can vouch for that

Nova goes

1 Like

Possibly, but Mrs Mike wanted the single box and Miss Mike had a whopsie with the SN2 volume control which was a very close call for blowing my speakers……

But yes, the NDX2 with the best future Naim integrated, or the next generation Naim streamer/pre with the 250 would be my go-too 2-box option. The best headphone output would probably swing it.

I sometimes wonder reducing the Fraim to one level and opting for a SN3 keeping the Dave / HMS / ND5XS2.

This will free up a tremendous amount of cash locked into the 552DR as the sale of the 300 will almost cover the cost of a SN3.

My other setup is a Nait 2 / ND5XS2, this almost gives a much pleasure as the main rig once the tunes start flowing. Okay the 552DR is leagues ahead in performance but its not always about that.

I respect HH decision to downscale his equipment, he still owns a superb setup.

19 Likes

So do I, good on him for going that way

Re your nait 2 , are you using the SBL’s with it ? Drive them Ok ?

Cheers

I want from five black boxes to a Nova, I kept another two in the form of a NAT 03 tuner and CDX player ,.

If I downsize from this house in it’s lovely location - to a flat , then I will go to a Star and a TT with built on phono stage, I will still regard it as a privilege to have such good equipment

3 Likes