System Pics 2022

Thanks Peter, it’s certainly something I’ve been thinking about. I didn’t know whether to move the rack further left, or even swap the rack round and put it in the corner?
New picture of moving rack and speaker left. If I swapped them around I think the speakers would become too close if symmetry is needed? Now they are 2.5m apart and my listening position is 4m away. My wife is going away soon, so that’s when I sneakily move the sofa forwards a little bit. I’ve said on a previous post, but I think I get some 1st reflections of the back wall (which is where the sofa is).

P.S. wow, sound is much more cohesive from just making my speaker more symmetrical, thanks @PeterR

Cheers,
Rich

26 Likes

Thankyou, so a single Tundra driving 808s ?

Marvellous Rich :partying_face::wine_glass: Enjoy Peter

PS. Indeed getting the sofa off the back wall negates some of the low frequency boundary pressurisation behind you. My ears are nearly 3 feet off the back wall, which I appreciate is not always doable in a lounge area/ Management issues :sweat_smile:

Yes. as it was a huge step from the former Klimax Twin, and the fact that a Tundra new is the same cost as a Twin used –> I had no chance :slight_smile:
fun fact: the Tundra sound is more muscular! with its 24W output!
You have to hear to believe…
But yes, there might be better amps out there (well I am not exactly sure there are lot?)
I think you have to try AirTight Monos or Reimyo KAP to get something better,… maybe.
A friends sports 808s with full blown Naim 500series passiv. It is very good, too.

3 Likes

Thanks - that’s very interesting info. Apologies for the thread drift :slightly_smiling_face:

Very interesting that one Tundra works so well. I am contemplating Tundra Monos (x6) for my 808 and worried they might be a bit light. Looks like I don’t have to worry.
I started by 808s on one A2200 then added another to passive biamp and that was a nice jump, but nothing compared to going active. The Tundra 6 pack might be worth an audition and cheaper than a pair of Klimax Monos.

1 Like

I tried Tundra monos but they were outperformed by my Tundra Stereo,
dunno why. I expected them to be a step forward.
So far I do not plan to change Amps…
If bass is everything for you, Tundra Stereo might not be the real thing for you.
On the other hand you will lose this fantastic clarity and boogie factor.

Back to tonic, please :grimacing:

59 Likes

Now that’s a ceiling.

12 Likes

Love the red panels.

1 Like

Thank you, it’s sounding much better now thanks. It’s still settling down after the 500 power supply repair and when we’re ready we’ll look at improving it ebbed more :blush:

1 Like

Richard-
Also Richard here, with a fairly similar system but also an lp 12. 282 and ndx2 and considering switching to titan 606 from dynaudio confidence 20 I have hi-cap dr and 250 Dr. Can you give a description of the sound and how far speakers are from walls and apart, also the length of the room (how far do you sit from the speakers?). Even though it’s no longer as important to me, but how are they at low level listening? TIA

May I ask, why you want to change from the confidence c 20 to the Kudos 606? How does the 250 Dr drive the Dynaudios?

No lovely pics but a week or so ago I upgraded my SN2 to a lovely NAC282/NAPSC and currently using the SN2 as a PowerAmp only. It’s connected to a non-naim PSU.

It sounds spectacular and immediately obviously better, louder on the dial by a long way than the SN2 and is especially good at low volumes. My speakers love it too. The SN2 is doing a great job as PowerAmp too.

Next step is finding a well priced 250DR and moving the SN2 on. My rack also needs some serious sorting with an extra box and it’s was bulging anyway :smile:

20 Likes

It seems to drive them c20’s very well, but they do need some volume to sound their best (and I used to be limited in how loud I could play them). But even at higher volumes, they are clean and no obvious flaws, but they just seem uninvolving, they just don’t make you want to keep listening or even tap your toes. I switched from Harbeth M30.1 and while they go deeper, they also have a better “foundation”. However, While the room hasn’t changed, my circumstances have and I think a narrow floor stander will work better. It is difficult for me to audition speakers (or any other equipment). I think the titan 606 or (used stenheim alumni 3) would fit and work wellHowever, the stenheims weigh twice as much even though won’t be moving them anyway. Also, my current dealer is (supposedly) becoming a kudos dealer. I did briefly hear the linn 530/system although think it was upgraded to klimax(?) but it was very impressive.

1 Like

Congradulations!

I did that exact upgrade of NAC 282 with HiCapDR into the SN 2 Power section. Then added 250DR a short time later. Some folks have added the 250 DR first prior to the Pre and they report favorable results as well!

5 Likes

Good choice - the 282 is a great preamp.

I’d just put the NAPSC on the floor for now - it’ll be quite happy down there. Just treat it like any mains power supply and keep it away from the sensitive components like the 282. You may want to select mute on the bottom row of record out buttons if you’re not using this functionality. It may gain you a small increase in SQ as this section powers down when muted.

8 Likes

NAPSC cable is long enough, put it far away from 282 (under the rack, behind the rack etc.)

2 Likes

Yeah I have that section muted on both my 82 and my 282. The NAPSC for both is away from the unit too by a decent amount (this was the initial picture of it in place).

1 Like

Yeah it’s miles away now

1 Like

Speakers are 60cm from side wall and 30cm from rear wall. I will be experimenting between 10-40cm (I have read titans often like being close to a back wall). They are 2.5m apart and my listening position is 4m away. Kudos would say it should be 2-3m away. They have an instillation guide on their website.

My last speakers were Dyn Focus 140s. Not C20 but still had that lovely dynaudios bass. I would almost say “sweet” sounding?

The 606s are very different. They are very revelling. Music now sounds a lot more “live” or “real”. I have had them a year, and only now are they sounding how they should, having set them up properly, so take care with this. They are both detailed and “musical”. Well recorded tracks sound sublime, poorly recorded tracks sound terrible. Some albums I just don’t enjoy anymore, but Iv found new albums in my old collection I now love.

I’ve only got a nap 200, but they sound their best from 8 o’clock onwards. If I want to play music quieter, then I really need to be only 2m away. I have read that better power amps (esp. nap300) sound much better at lower levels. That’s on my radar for future upgrades.

Rich