System Pics 2022

Same here Nick. We know how you are feeling. Best wishes.

3 Likes

Happy New Year to everyone - hope everyone is keeping well.

Like Matthew - another stack of Hutter - plus my trusty Focal 1027Be - still doing fine. No obvious changes in the last year - but the 300 was upgrades to DR - so the NDX2 / Supercap 2 and 300 have now all been done.

36 Likes

For a second there, I thought it was Thunderbird 3 on the left!

Not familiar with Tokyo buildings - what is that one?

2 Likes

Does this help?

12 Likes

And to yourself also

Yes, they leave a big hole in our hearts and in familiar places (the more awkward the better)

Maybe a rescue greyhound in a few months ?

best wishes for 2022

2 Likes

One addition only during 2021 with the Cdx2 being replaced with the CD555….I am very pleased to say the upgrade was exceptional…beyond my original expectations

46 Likes

Haha, even I forget the name of the one in the middle. It’s that one in Shinjuku with the big media and graphic design college in it.

I worked the other end of town.

1 Like

This would of never occurred to me.
Is the SQ improvement that noticeable?

Your system set up / layout is very similar to mine hence the curious interest

1 Like

Sounds like a nice tweak! Ordered a glass plate myself today to see how it turns out under my Atom HE. Can you share some more information about the silicone nitride ball bearings you used?

BR,
Richard

The naim cups n balls can be ordered from Tom Tom for about £36 for the set of three

1 Like

Not sure if I haven’t asked before, but is that a Pro-Ject turntable ?

It looks rather nice .

PS Had my CDX2 recently serviced and switched to digital output. It is really rather good - and I am very pleased with sound

2 Likes

Love those cheviots! Nice :+1:

1 Like

The college, Mode Gakuen Cocoon Tower, has 3 schools and 10,000 students according to the booklet. It took the best part of 2 hours to put together, lots of small parts, but a real treat to build.

I’m glad you like it.

Speakers for life! They are restored, by RFC, 80’s vintage and are just brilliant. The crazy thing is apart from width they have the same height and depth as a pair of Kans on stands… I know this because that’s what we were using before them.

We tried them with a friends valve amp last week. Sounded great, but I still prefer the Atom.

Yes, Project Xperience x-pack…. In my humble opinion it’s performs extremely well and looks rather striking.

On the Cdx2….I had one for a good few years and I thought it was superb……but I always wanted at some point to upgrade to the CD555…and it truly is a magnificently engineered piece of kit.

2 Likes

Sound great, I use SBL’s but if I ever changed they’d be on my short list :+1:

1 Like

I always had the perspex Xperience on my wish list , now have a Clearaudio Emotion , but I think you have a cracking turntable there

1 Like

I use the base in the photo because my Spectral TV-Sideboard does not offer ideal damping and tends to resonate. The theoretical base comes from @Xanthe in this forum (Thread: Vibration Isolation / Support for Glass). The glass top is toughened glass from a local glazier (340mm*450mm). The silicone nitride balls (Si3N4, in German: Silizium Nitrid)) are 10mm in diameter (Xanthe recommends 6mm, but the brass base was too high for this). I bought the silicon nitride balls here in Switzerland from Georg Rutz AG (Website only in German). The silicone balls rest on brass bases (caps) from a local plumbing trade. The bases have an indentation in the middle that sufficiently fixes the ball under load. I use a bamboo butchers block from Ikea (Aptitlik) as a base underneath. I tried a board made of MDF before, but bamboo was a shade clearer in the bass. Quite a few forum members have had good experiences with this approach (see also the orginal thread above). The sound is somewhat brighter, more stable, more spatial in my system. Enjoy!

1 Like

I have just written a answer at afgverhart to an similar question. I hope this will be sufficient for you too.