System Pics 2022

headphone amp on loan from dealer, sounding fantastic so far after just one evenings listen - will take time over the weekend to explore some albums properly rather than jumping from track to track

18 Likes

I have a brochure for them from the 80s that I will post a couple of pictures from later.

I have the same rack, I like it a lot.

1 Like

Thanks! You’re system must sound awesome!

1 Like

One day, yes. But to publish one now would incur the instant condemnation of the rack police. My system is in a steady state of evolution, with a decision on a new streaming source soon-ish and, hopefully, a 282/HCDR next year to reach journey’s end. With that will come some better organisation and thus some photos that won’t condemn me to the fiery pits of SQ hell! However, I have to say that my - admittedly haphazard and congested - system sounds so good now that I truly wonder what proper racking will bring…

2 Likes

Ok, thank you for the explanation…just my curiosity: don’t you think your (wonderful) speakers require more than a 282-250 level?
David

I’m sure that they would not be embarrassed by a full-fat 500-series, but that’s way beyond my means as is, frankly, the 252/SCDR/300DR that you’re probably alluding to. I don’t follow the conventional (to this forum) wisdom of source first; I’m not arguing against it, but I’ve always believed that an Amp has no idea of the type of speakers that it is attached to and thus getting the best speakers you can will, more than anything, allow the music through unimpeded. There are lots of reasons for getting good stand-mounters, for example, but no one ever bought them because that’s all the frequency response they needed - maybe because that’s all their room could manage. I see you have P1.0s, which are really highly regarded (as are all WB), but the ACT Ones are so easy to drive, and have such a musicality about them that compared to the Vectors and PMC Fact 12s (and I was a PMC user - FB1s and really wanted to like the Fact12s) that they were trialled against, there was really no contest.

2 Likes

Excuse the cabling!:rofl:

Bit of a mish mash at the moment. I have a 250 on order so NAD c298 is on duty, am also demoing the scm40s

Actual system is set to be

Rega P10 with aphelion 2
Allnic H5500 phono stage
Innuos zen mini with LPS
Brinkmann nyquist dac
TQ black ultra cables
282/250 hicap
Harbeth m30.1 or focal sopra 1
PS audio p12 power regenerator
GIK room treatments
Still points and iso acoustics isolation

24 Likes

Oh and Lyra the cat :smirk:

3 Likes

Most will be familiar with the usual forum choices but here is a close up of the nyquist and allnic

Both use valves and both sound amazing!

Edit just realised I really need to straighten my 282😁

17 Likes

@Ryder35- the Allnic is great. I have found that getting the tubes hot really makes a difference :+1: I use mine for extended listening sessions.
For short squirts of music I stick with my deck with a SS phono that is left on 24/7…

Indeed it is. A big improvement from the allnic 1200 it replaced. I tend to only listen to vinyl at the weekends so turn it on when I get up and leave it on all day. Then it is off all week

1 Like

As a Vector user, I am offended by this :joy: (which is to say, I know it to be true but don’t need it to be mentioned…ever).

Cheers,

Ian

Hi,
Have you heard Wilson Benesh Precision 2.0? Do you think a 250 dr would be enough for them? Do they need a lot of space to breathe or 18/20 m2 would be enough?
Thanks

Some rare Northern sunlight on the Titan 606’s.

36 Likes

Nice looking speakers Andy :+1:

2 Likes

Hi, I haven’t heard them Interestingly, when I spoke to Luke Milnes (son of founder Craig) it was the P2.0s that I was initially interested in. However, when we talked about it and I stated that I wanted speakers that were as revealing as the PMC Fact 12s that I was already trialling, he recommended the Vectors instead (which were great, but in the end a 20% discount on my 6 month-old ex-demo ACT Ones was too good to refuse :grin:). However, in your case I’d say unhesitatingly that a 250 would drive them easily. All WB speakers seem to be an easy load and, frankly, you could probably get away with an XS3 or SN3. Your room size should be perfect - mine’s only about 22 m2, with 3m ceilings.

1 Like

Cheers. I know there’s not much ‘sunlight’ on them, but we don’t get much up here in County Durham!

2 Likes

They can, from what I read recently, be even placed near the wall, because the bass event is under the speakers.
Thanks for your advice :+1:. The Vector seem to be bigger, and are also more expensive.

Swapped a surplus TT with a friend for this lovely Sony Receiver which was his late fathers. What a lovely little thing it is too, great condition veneer case and a lovely warm sound which helps take the edge off the Kans

40 Likes