System Pics 2023

Wow what a room and setup!!

1 Like

Wowzer

The point I’m making is that adding a sub is not going to fix poor room acoustics. Also with certain music I would say that the speaker really needs to work properly with the room to sound « right ». Mostly this is the case and the sub brings not very much

Have always wondered what 2 pairs of those Gurus would sound like stacked?

The same as one, just more effortless.

A couple of changes over 2022…

CD555 which is absolutely magnificent and the addition of a 2nd PS….

Happy new year to all

44 Likes

75 Likes

By all means Peter :grinning:

1 Like

No longer using Naim but still UK :uk: brand PMC.

60 Likes

Nice to see an x-pack in such a system. :+1:

1 Like

The X-Pack works exceptionally well for its price point…

1 Like

Looks great! I’ve been looking for a way to combine getting my system onto Fraim while keeping it in the same place as the TV rather than taking up extra space in the living room (due to household requirements…). Please can you let me know what your TV stand/table is? Thanks

2 Likes

I’ve been following some of the sub threads, with a view to that being my first 2023 indulgence. BK is one that has caught my attention so I wanted to check on a few things if I may. I note you have one sub and it’s sitting outside of the SL2s and directed straight ahead. Does that skew the perceived bass to the right, please? Also, is it connected to both speakers or just the SL2 next to it? Are you using the neutrik lead? I note that it stands slightly forward of the SLs - has that brought any issues of its own, please?

Like you, I’ve come to the view that I probably need one. Intuitively I feel like I should have two but your write up and those of others would suggest one is enough- especially if it is barely on. I’m space constrained so was thinking about a BK double 10” box.

Agree. Bought mine for its looks but have been amazed at the SQ, even with a budget cartridge.

Most decent subs have a stereo input. This is either line level which has a special DIN to two RCA interconnect that go to the stereo line level inputs of the sub from a dedicated output of a supernait or spare signal output of a naim power supply like a Supercap. Alternatively, one can run cables from the speaker crossover terminals of the SL2 to the stereo speaker level inputs of the sub. The latter iseems to be the preferred approach, which was my preference. A 5m slugged resistor terminated din to 2xrca to sub line level inputs did not work for me. Maybe something to do with my sub. Not sure why it had problems. In the end I gave up with the sub as it did not cure the issues I have with my room

I love the look…still have the original Ronda Red cartridge….

1 Like

Hi Lenny, thanks.
The table is a DIY effort. I used legs from an IKEA Lack coffee table and an 18mm thick piece of MDF with a subframe of (I think) 2x3 timber to attach the legs. Painted black with Frenchic paint. The plinth the TV sits on is just two of the Lack table tops as we wanted the TV a little higher to hide a mark on the wall. I might modify this but wanted it set back up before Christmas.
The Fraim is also a DIY job which I made a couple of years ago. I am planning to upgrade to a proper Fraim this year.

2 Likes

Thanks. It’s something I’ve prevaricated over for a while. I’ve got a combination of the wrong room for my SBLs and their natural inclination to sound lighter in the bass (but not always!) and it seemed to me that @HiFiman might have dealt with some of the issues that concern me.

I just have to ask LOL. Do you work? If I had that view, room, and sound system I don’t think I’d ever go anywheres else, and certainly couldn’t get any work done. Any way, thnx for the pic and Happy New Years (to everybody).

3 Likes

Naim is gone from this system in 2023 but still love this forum.

64 Likes