System Pics 2023

Im delighted. Still all warming up and impressions are good. A different presentation to my CDS perhaps a little more refined. Interesting how the Naim sound has evolved over the years.

Iā€™m not going to send you down the rabbit hole but I am finding it very hard to let my ā€˜spareā€™ dr pre and amp go to release funds, while keeping my non dr. I have come to prefer the control and imaging improvements that I think the dr brings.

I think you have a very cool system. As so many of us, think about the necessity to move to the new classic range and move away from the former. You have the real classic Naim gear. Really love the looks, and I believe it will sound great also!! :musical_score::metal:

2 Likes

Love it, VFM all over!

The hifi is greatā€¦ā€¦but the Les Paul is greateršŸ¤£

Canā€™t take my eyes off it - what is the spec? R9?

Very nice indeed @penllyn. Thatā€™s an expensive airport drop off trip :grin: Itā€™s good to blame our offspring for expensive purchasesā€¦

Hi DrMark, Iā€™ll place myself in the naughty step for my dereliction. :joy:

Iā€™ve had it a few years now and it bears several battle scars, some inflicted by my daughter when she was a toddler and one as the result of a faulty stand. Nowadays it just gets wedged into the nearest convenient corner. As long as the headstock remains intact Iā€™m happy for it to age and lose its sheen just like its owner. :joy:

Iā€™m really enjoying the new speakers whoā€™s mindful that theyā€™re still breaking in. Itā€™ll be an evening of subless listening tonight and Iā€™ll report back tomorrow.

1 Like

Thanks Toon. Itā€™s an R8 Custom Shop 1958 Vintage Original Spec. Un tampered and un altered since I bought it new in the noughties.

2 Likes

Quite right, it would never have happened were it not for the airport drop off! :joy:

1 Like

Enjoy them. I will be interested in your report without the sub. What spec is their low end?

And my personal sheen is now flat black!

1 Like

Beautiful.

Hereā€™s my R9 in Sunrise Teaburst also a VOS which I bought in 2008. Seymour Duncan pups. Marvellous.

13 Likes

Iā€™d remove the rubbery feet from beneath the CDS. It is designed with solid metal feet that need to be planted firmly on the surface below in order for the internal suspension to work as intended. As it is, the rubber will interact with the suspension in an unpredictable way.

A couple of updates since my last post, a pair of new (to me) Spendors. Nothing in black and green boxes at the moment though.

44 Likes

I recently listened to the Norma IPA140, thought it was pretty goodā€¦how do you find it in daily useā€¦

Thatā€™s absolutely stunning :star_struck:! One of the nicest bursts Iā€™ve ever seen! I fear that my beloved R8 is the ugly sister to your Cinderella R9. Iā€™m sure it sounds as good as it looks with those pups.

What Spendor model are those?

The deck innards appeared on many versions at the time.

My first Thorn deck was very similar.

DGā€¦

1 Like

Thanks, I wasnt aware of that. The reason for the feet is that the CDSā€™s feet are not level and the casing rocks. Iā€™ll remove the rubber feet and shim the existing standard feet to stop it rocking.

You just need very thin metal shims under one of the feet. Naim used to supply them, and maybe still do. Hopefully it will sound better without the rubber feet.

1 Like

Very good! I use it for several hours every day. Tv and film as well as music.

1 Like