System Pics 2023

Another (now ex) technics man. :+1:

2 Likes

Misstake

Roksan Xerxes

4 Likes

Nothing wrong with that. Youā€™ve got a lot of nice kit to experiment with there !

1 Like

Mark,

I know nothing of your speakers but they look to be very expensive and high-end. Iā€™m fascinated by the combination of these and the Nova. Obviously it works or you wouldnā€™t be doing it. Just curious as to if you feel the Nova is in any way a limiting factor? Have you heard the speakers with more elaborate kit?

It looks like a very neat set-up indeed. Do you use it to provide sound for all video material?
Do you find not having surround sound to be an issue? Thanks.

Ah, looks promising with the Naim source then, and so different to your main amp rig too. Have you tried the LP12 (or the Technics) with it yet? That combination should prove interesting.

1 Like

Nice top of the range Aiwa AD-F990. I bet it was only ever used for playing tapes. Waste of all the automatic recording features if you ask me. Could have probably got away with a 660. :blush:

1 Like

Thanks, i built them myself. They are a Troels Gravesen design called the CNO4.

For me and the way i use my system they are ā€œmostlyā€ fit for purpose. I have a large open plan living room and we have parties every now and then and these can go very loud without distorting. Yes i use them for movies too, through the auto switching HDMI port on the nova. It makes for a really simple system for the family to control. The bass units are amazing for that purpose and voices are crystal clear. For the record, i would not buy speakers like this from a store but these cost less to build than a new Nova.

The story goesā€¦A few years back i wanted to build new speakers, but i wanted something that would be an end game speaker, something that would last through years of gear upgrades but also something that would challenge me to build. I built a different pair of speakers first, which i was immensely satisfied with, but a friend bought them from me. With the money, i built these. They are pretty awesome. Thereā€™s an inbuilt amp that drives a 12" woofer in each speaker so the Nova only has to drive the top section which is 90db.

They use seas drivers, which are incredibly neutral. The previous pair used scan speak revelator drivers. I think there was something about the scan speak drivers that i preferred, so i am going to build the previous pair again. In fact, i have already started.

As for the Nova, it is not a forever piece of equipment, itā€™s what i have at the moment. We are raising a family, paying for kids education, and paying off the house and cars. The electronics upgrades will come later, as they are expensive!

As for whether iā€™ve heard my speakers with higher end gear, not really. Although i have heard smaller, lower quality speakers with high end gear and i know which i prefer. Yes they could really do with a higher end system backing them up but they definitely sound fantastic as they are. At least i know Iā€™m getting the most from my Nova. :grin:

8 Likes

These are the ones I am building again. Although slightly different cabs.

37 Likes

Automatic ā€œlikeā€ every time you post about your builds :slight_smile:

(honestly getting closer to starting my own, looking out for a pre-loved Festool plunge saw, after a lot of research on those vs a table saw)

5 Likes

Best tool I ever bought!

3 Likes

Have you decided what youā€™re gonna build yet?

1 Like

Yep, floorstanding Illuminator-71. Decided against the Ellam Flex, and now it looks like theyā€™re discontinued anyway. I can likely sell my SX-3s and stands to recover some costs too, once Iā€™m sure the replacements work in-situ.

3 Likes

Excellent choice. Iā€™m sure you wonā€™t be disappointed.

1 Like

No not yet. I notice that the more expensive Masterclass IA-4 Integrated Amplifier has balanced input which would work with my Allnic H7000 phone stage.

Iā€™ve been told that using the Allnic Balanced is very beneficial.

2 Likes

Iā€™d be interested to know what the outcome is on that shootoutā€¦

2 Likes

Iā€™m sure theyā€™re excellent, if I were to build another pair, these would definitely make the shortlist. But I would be making the standmount.

I am curious why you chose those when deciding on floorstanders, when thereā€™s floorstander designs in the same range? The 7751 and the two Ekta models.

2 Likes

Price and simplicity!

Perhaps, although the Ekta mkII, including the drivers, isnā€™t that far off it price wise. Nor complexity (when building the rectangular box option).

Could be a preference for two-way speakers.

1 Like

Yeah youā€™re right. Not a bad price at all that one.