System Pics 2023

I’ll gladly update you as soon as I get the result. :+1:t2:

1 Like

Hi Mark,

They look awesome - as do the new ones you are building. I admire your skill in doing this. It’s a fantastic system and room as you say there is no rush to upgrade the electronics as they already sound so good. Maybe no real need at all.

Thanks for taking the time to explain. I really do love the look of your system and room!

1 Like

Here’s my living room setup linked to my main system located in the basement.

56 Likes

Gulp…they’re not your main speakers?
Blimey :upside_down_face:

love the look of that Sugden

1 Like

Pretty much as @Mark84 says. Plus the budget cannot go any higher! Also the dimensions of the “proper” (i.e. those that Troels primarily presents as floor standing models) floor standing models are a lot deeper, the Illuminator 71 floor stander is only 250mm deep vs well over 300mm . They have to fit into a fairly small room. Most of his stand mounts are also 300mm or more deep. My current SX3s are 200 deep, and are placed fine in my room, I can’t go much deeper without causing placement issues. I’m still prepared for the Troels to be a bit much for the room, but only one way to really tell :slight_smile:

The room has a high ceiling, but narrow front to back, there’s a large opening between the speakers though, so it’s a fairly unusual space to consider how speakers might suit it. It probably has bad bass node effects but low reverb. I’ve taken a few measurements with REW, probably make time to do that properly before finally pulling the trigger. The Revelator 66 and CNO-mk III are the only other speakers I found that had relatively shallow build options suggested.

At this point I’ve put off a thread on it as I wasn’t really close to buying the kit, maybe a dedicated thread would allow a bit more discussion though :slight_smile:

Anyway, apologies, long response!

2 Likes

I can agree. My flat is completely concrete (60s brutality high-rise) and the sound is awesome. Really don’t want to leave. To be carried out in a box with my Naim gear beside me

1 Like

Beautiful system you have there

Thanks for the elaborate response.

Just a thought, but you could make them even shallower. The speaker compartment doesn’t quite stretch to the bottom of the cabinet, so you could make them shallower but extend the compartment. Leaving less space in the bottom. Cabinet volume and baffle width need to stay the same of course, but all other measurements can be worked with.

This could be done for both the Ekta and the 71.

I changed a few dimensions on mine, and I would definitely recommend on taking listening height into account. Making them a few cm taller or lower to suit your setup. Another big advantage of building your own.

2 Likes

Thank you.

Nice looking speakers that obviously work close to rear wall :+1:
What are they if I may ask?

I still have my original Sony MD player, still works and in the system. Great piece of kit. Just nostalgia really for a good format, that came out just too late.

2 Likes

@Yorkshireman
Hi the result is in.
I’ve just copied the email he sent me with his decision made.
He has a Klimax LP12 and Kudos Super 20A speakers amongst other things I can’t remember all the numbers.
“ Well the amp auditioning has come to a natural conclusion. The A21SE is a lovely amp but to my ears, with my front ends and more specifically, with my speakers in my room, the Anniversary 50 is the clear winner.

Its grip, clarity and fluidity at the bottom octaves is significantly better than the A21SE. Drums, bass guitar, synthesisers all sound very clear and realistic to me. The mids, especially voices, seem more real - voices sometimes seemed more recessed on the 21SE. The top end is clearer and more controlled on the Anv. 50. But most importantly, the 50 it is just more fun and involving.

The Anniversary 50 is just in a different league to me and has no listener fatigue to its sound. Not a difficult decision in the end.
Hope you find this interesting he is a good friend and doesn’t rush into things. :sunglasses: :+1:t2:

3 Likes

Nice setup. You’re using a PS1 mk 2 for the cd transport?? SACD if I’m right? If so, how is it if I may ask?

That’s a possibility! For some reason I didn’t want to go beyond square, but that’s just silly as 240w x 200d (as an example) is just a deepish bookshelf turned 90° X)

I think the suggested 240w x 250d x 1000h will work though.

1 Like

Almost, Player not Transport.
It has a really cool DAC all of its own, that was only in the original release models as I understand it.
The sound signature is very ‘analogue’ and is much more enjoyable to listen to than my old Linn Genki was.
I really like it and so does @knaithrover, who first brought the PlayStations abilities as a HiFi CD player to my attention.
There is a short thread on it if you’re interested:

2 Likes

No upgrades planned. It is what it is!

24 Likes

My living room is my preferred room for listening. My basement system has 10 inch Tannoy’s wall mounted in a rec room with a billiard table and a bar. It gets more use in the winter months when I have friends over to shoot pool.

23 Likes

I personally think that is the key to finding what works in particular rooms and which combinations of equipment has synergy. Provided one has the space to store the equipment properly of course.

1 Like

Added an Audiolab 7000 CDT to the living room system. Just have to get the CDs out of the loft now…

19 Likes