System Pics 2023

No interest in the Contour series?

If I have understood, there is an air gap between the pine and the concrete. Is it possible that there is resonance here that you don’t like?

Not for this room. The twin ports on the 30’s would present the same issues as my Evokes. I’m also really not a Stand Mount kind of guy, which eliminates the 20’s. :man_shrugging:t4:

No, it’s the reflectivity of the room with the large rear ported speakers that I’m struggling with.
My fears with the floor are only a suspicion regarding the downward pointing bass ports in the Super 20A’s, but the plinth etc might well negate that.
Home demoing the options I’m looking at will deliver a solution, of that I’m certain😊

Just a thought but if your Keilidh’s work in main system would an alternative speaker in your wife’s system be an alternative? Do not underestimate the influence of room modes at low frequencies for any speaker with a deep sub bass range - Room Equalisation Wizard could be your new best friend here. Best of luck.

I doubt she really cares😂
Come on chaps I’m sure she is just humouring you

There are two flaws to your suggestion:

1. I would have to do her in to retake full possession of the Keilidh’s, as she loves them and still hasn’t forgiven me for selling them to her brother. :face_with_peeking_eye: (…and they sound amazing on her 202/200 system).
  2. They are not ticking enough of the boxes on my 282/300 system, particularly in the Bass department.:man_shrugging:t2:

Surely the pending fruit box under the Christmas tree would pacify her while you sneak the speakers out of the house?

:rofl: :rofl:
…WOW! You’re funny.
That is so not going to ever be an option😉

At the price of the Russell K Red 120 SE’s you’re not that far away from Kudos Titan 505’s. I know you favour floorstanders but with a room of that size and a pair of isobarics ……

I’ve demoed a pair some months ago in our living room, with inadequate amplification to be honest. Yet, the warmth, extension, precision and richness of the upper midrange and treble was a revelation. I find Dynaudios always a little aloof, so to speak, but those were truly fascinating.

1 Like

Yeah CD, but I’m not a fan of the Kudos sound🫤

Fair ‘nuff!

Although in fairness Crispy, this is more the Titan sound, as I quite liked the Cardea Super 20A’s

1 Like

While you are home dem’ing and you have hold of the Keilidhs, one thing I would try is adding a subwoofer. You can just connect it to the speaker terminals. You will then have the ability to dial in or out the amount of bass you are adding and hopefully get a good mix. I know it’s not new speakers but you might be surprised with the result for not much faff. At least you could report back the results to us.

You thinking a small Rel are you?:thinking:

Exactly. You should be able to experiment with the sub volume control and frequency cut off to “seamlessly” integrate the sub with the speakers. “In theory”. You could also go a step further and add a 2nd sub if if you felt the need. I’ve not tried it yet though I’ve got a sub I could use but I’m very lazy at the moment. What brought it to mind is my local Linn dealer who was trying to sell me an Akurate Hub and Exaktboxi combo. I asked what speakers and he replied keep the Keilidhs. If you want more bass, add one or two subs and proceeded to play me his Akudorik system with Rel subs. It was an eye opener. Seems a relatively faff free way of improving what you have without losing the bits you like from existing speakers.

…but I’d still need another pair of Keilidh’s. :man_shrugging:t2:

Not for a home demo, you already got a pair. If that works out then it’s £2-300 for a nice pair from eBay. Even with a tweeter upgrade it’s a fraction of the cost of brand new speakers. If you can find a late pair with the later tweeter and drivers then probably no upgrade required. I don’t want to evangelise about the Keilidhs too much as it can get up people noses but you can probably tell I am a very happy owner especially after upgrading all the drivers and recapping the crossovers. I was considering longer lengths of A5, shielded mains cables and xlrs but I now don’t feel these are necessary.

Just another option to consider really.

1 Like

System Pics? :thinking:

7 Likes