System Pics 2023

Listening to some Beck Sea Change, pure DSD with my Teac PD-501 today. My Kharma DB-7’s certainly sound great with plenty of space around them.

28 Likes

And your loss. But you know best…

I heard the Kabers at my dealers place way back and they were absolutely superb. I planned to upgrade to them from my Kans but several things happened and it just wasn’t to be.

Yes he does

5 Likes

Oh no he doesn’t :wink:

Off your high horse you lot :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes::stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

2 Likes

13 Likes

That’s better :grinning::grinning::joy::+1:

1 Like

That’s what Linn used to say back in the nineties for pretty much every speaker they were selling, their point was PRaT over soundstage, pure marketing, it’s meaningless. Speaker position is room dependent and the manufacturer cannot even start to guess where they are going to sound best without knowing room dimensions at the very least.

2 Likes

A very competent speaker, I must say, it would have been fun to hear them together with Statment or a 500 system…:thinking:

13 Likes

A nice rack for the Crimson.

1 Like

Any pic with a reel-to-reel is allowed, even with no Naim!

4 Likes

But not up against the wall like SBLs. In the context of Keilidhs, “close” meant 20-30cm. And they liked a good bit of toe in.

Is that a Hipgnosis cover? Actually I see it is. They were very prolific.

1 Like

My Muso mark 1. The USB outlet is handy to charge up my Sony WH 1000 XM4 headphones. The modem is required to help wireless transmission as the house, which seems to be built like Hitlers Bunker.
Listening to “Rush” for the first time. When I first heard Geddy Lee I thought that it was Ann Wilson from Heart, but no, it was Geddy. They’re certainly an aquired taste. You can tell they’re a band where you just need to immerse yourself in the whole album. A band for long lazy afternoons.

9 Likes

That really is complete and utter nonsense. It points to a lack of understanding about speaker design.

Speakers are either designed to work best in free space or close to a wall. Those designed to work best close to a wall have the bass aligned such that they use the boundary reinforcement effect to achieve the correct bass balance. Positioning them too far from a wall will result in a severe lack of bass and a consequently unbalanced sound.

It’s not just about bass balance though. That’s why adding a sub won’t restore things to how they should be. Pull things like IBL’s or Kans well away from the wall and their whole musical character changes and they lose musical coherence.

One of the reasons that Linn and Naim used to favour boundary designs is that they said it eliminated at least some of the unknown factors of the room as placing speakers close to a wall will have the same effect in every room.

3 Likes

Cool looking gear, and I don’t recognize anything!

1 Like

That modem makes me think of an upside down spider😆

2 Likes

What do you think of the K3 amplifier? After issues with my Arcam Solo Movie MK2 (needs a new DSP board at £600) in our lounge AV system I’m seriously considering switching it to 2 channel. The speakers are Piega T-micro 60 AMT towers (4ohm/90db) and a BK Gemini II subwoofer. The Arcam drove the speakers very well (120 WPC into 4 ohms) but I’m just not convinced by the reliability of AV amps in general or that of Arcam products now they are made in the Far East. This is the newest Arcam product I own and the only one that has required an expensive repair.

Other options I’m considering are:
With built in DAC: Cyrus Lyric, Uniti MK1, Cyrus One HD, Peachtree Nova 150
With an outboard DAC: Naim 5Si or XS, Audio Analogue Crescendo, Rega Elex-R, Cyrus One.

They all seem to be available up to £750 and no doubt have different benefits in terms of age/parts support etc.

Not sure it is. Different rooms behave differently. Have you heard the speakers in Quicksticks location?

Now that is nonsense! What about different wall material? Place it up against a thin plasterboard wall with a cupboard behind it actind as a huge sub and see if it sounds the same as if placed agains an outside brick wall.

4 Likes