System Pics 2023

There is a way to coil cable such that each successive coil is running in the opposite direction, which would avoid the magnetic field.

Hard to illustrate, but when coiling each second coil is tucked under the first, hard to understand but easy to demonstrate in front of you. You give the wire (or rope) a twist between thumb and finger, first one way, than the other, for each coil, and the coils lie nicely, one on the other, but “flowing” in different - opposite - directions.

It is as though you have laid the cable in a figure of eight (BBC fashion), and folded the coils together, from an eight to a circle.

I said it was difficult to describe!

And it is difficult, but not impossible, with Naim speaker cable…

3 Likes

Thanks…

There are videos (of course) which is easier to follow than my wordy explaination…

Look for Over-Under Cable Coiling Technique, also known as over / under wrapping, counter-coiling, and flip-coiling.

That’s neat - do you enter the name of the turntable yourself?

2 Likes

All the current streamers allow you to rename any input to suit your own preferences, except for the likes of Qobuz and Tidal.

2 Likes

Yes - through settings in the app.

2 Likes

My new Atacama Apollo Storm 6 arrived today - quicker than expected :smiley:

They are very nice racks.

22 Likes

Gotta be honest here, it isn’t the equipment racks drawing my eye - the kit on them looks awesome! In particular, what’s the silver and wood Marantz player?

Agree with @gthack that there are other things that catch one eye besides the rack. Nice B77.:sunglasses:

3 Likes

DD93 Digital Cassette Player

1 Like

Yes, the B77 is nice :smile:

Marantz DD-92 DCC deck. I had a DD-82 for a while some time back, but foolishly sold it along with some pre-recorded tapes, which sounded excellent. These have now got very expensive! Blank tapes can be bought for a reasonable price, if you hunt around, eBay being the best source.

3 Likes

Some very nice gear, ladies gentlemen! I’m new to this forum but not new to audio (been at it since the early 1970’s). I see that I’m going to be an outlier here because most of my system is not naim and, with a few notable exceptions (tt, but not tonearm, phono cartridge, phono stage, speakers, headphone gear and some me wire), my current rig mostly predates the turn of the century. Anyway, here’s a middling shot of my current system:

And a small portion of it’s raisôn d’etre:

Processing: 9736955C-3BF0-471F-B562-B2CEAE9DE065.jpeg…

See you ‘round the campus…

34 Likes

Nice! Epic description in your profile too!

I wouldn’t worry about not having much Naim, some don’t have any at all, some have stacks of it, rarely does anyone bat an eyelid about it either way!

Most members significantly predate the turn of the century too, and the vintage gear threads are always popular. I suspect you’ll fit right in :wink:

1 Like

I suppose I haven’t earned editing privileges yet, so I can’t go back and correct my typos (sorry - posting from iPhone with fat fingers), or add this photo of a portion the system’s raison d’être, which apparently failed to fully upload begore I pressed ‘post’:

22 Likes

I would not fancy ripping that lot! :grimacing:

3 Likes

Hence my continued dedication to hard media…

:older_man:t2:

6 Likes

You dont have to, Qobuz has done it for you while you were sleeping.

7 Likes

It’s worth having a backup of them of some sort regardless, CD’s can and do deteriorate over time even if you store them properly and look after them. I’ve had CD’s I got out to play in the past only to find they were beyond playback and ready to be recycled. Think of it as an insurance policy should any fail and be difficult to replace in the future.

1 Like

I keep hearing that but I’ve got cds that are more than 25 years old and I’ve not noticed any deterioration.

4 Likes

That’s because your ears are deteriorating at the same rate as your CDs :rofl:

12 Likes

Thanks, I’m feeling a bit blue and that just made laugh. :rofl::rofl::rofl:

3 Likes