System Pics 2023

Oh yeah! I’m thinking about upgrading to the Scala also. What other differences did they bring? Was it worth it?

Before and after pics following a visit from Acoustica Pete yesterday. Definitely appreciating the look of the new range more than I was expecting.

32 Likes

What about the sound compared with what you had? I assume that was NDX2, 282, Hicap, 250?

Shame you can’t move the equipment furniture away to the side (doesn’t help with TV obviously) so the speakers come away a bit from the wall. I assume other one is on the other side of fire place

2 Likes

Well so far so good 24 hours in and the system is warming nicely, the new 250 is making light work on the B&W’s and the sound is without doubt more detailed even at this early stage, than the 272 and xps from before, not that that was slumming it? still needs to warm up a bit more at the lower end to my ears, but it is getting there, thanks to Pete and the team at Acoustica for their help! PJ

70 Likes

Yes, 100% spot on re previous system (with nowhere to add an XPS DR)…. And exactly right re placement compromises - The price to pay for having the system in our family living room rather than a more dedicated listening space - one can dream! :slight_smile:

As for listening experience I’m going to give it a week or two and then will try to put some more helpful feedback on the New Classic thread. Immediate reflections:

• going from my previous budget headphone amp out of NDX2, the headphone listening experience with the 222 is better in every way (as I’d expected)
  • really low volume listening is a revaluation… perfect balance down to zero volume and a much fuller, more detailed sound at low levels

At normal listening levels for me (45 on the 222 volume which is probably about 9 o’clock level on 282) all I can say for now is that the new system is making everything just sound really ‘musical’, which I know is about the least useful comment anyone has made in this forum ever - but it’s the best description I can think for for now :joy:

3 Likes

It’s a clear upgrade vs. the Sopra 2, which are v.good speakers, but the Scalas are in a different league.

The first immediate difference is how the sound projects into the room, creating an impression of physical volume, a lot more 3 dimensional, more energy and presence. I know it’s a cliche, but it feels like the musicians are in the room.

Next is the bass, it goes low, it’s tight, it’s superb. It’s like bringing out a new layer that was missing from all the recordings when played in the former speakers.

Finally, more detail and better separation of instruments on the soundstage.

I’ve listened first when the speakers were on the rollers and then after setting up the Gaias, huge difference. I’d recommend to change as well the straps linking the binding posts with proper cable jumpers, that makes a difference too.

Overall, i’m very happy with the Scalas.

5 Likes

Yes from a box count reduction looks obviously like a perfect solution for you.
Interesting what you say about the balance and low volume listening levels. Not the usual experience with Naim preamps :rofl:
Sounds like you are happy and that sounds good.
Enjoy your new system

2 Likes

This solved both the instability issue as well as the problem of not being able to connect by cable.
My wife happy that I don’t mind cooking.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Devolo-Magic-LAN-performance-Powerline/dp/B07H5VNHW9?th=1

Impressive hoovering trails on the carpet…

7 Likes

Thanks for the response! I’ve demoed them at the dealer and got the same impression as you. It’s just a fuller, more immersive sound. I was really impressed.

I also use the Gaia and am a firm believer. They make a huge difference. I’m surprised on your comment on the jumpers.

1 Like

26 Likes

2 very basic flat and thin metal straps. Sure they do the job, but putting proper cables does enhance the sound.

Checked the Chord Music jumpers instead…I didn’t notice a significant change…

1 Like

Not my work :joy:

Some else well trained…

Pass on my admiration to the expert responsible…

1 Like

Ariel, have you tried the Chord Music speaker cables ?

No, actually I’m very satisfied with Naim Superlumina.

1 Like

Thanks Geoff, very kind of you

Yes, the cable situation isn’t ideal but the whole system needs a better location, which may come when we eventually get around to decorating the living room, if I can just persuade the rest of the family that its much more deserving of the space than the TV…

1 Like

Hi @chris5

We all want to get the best from our systems, particularly having invested so much in them!

I fully understand domestic constraints, and the importance of keeping family members happy.

In the meantime, I did find this below in another thread, which states some of the reasoning for not coiling speaker cables.

Active Olive SBLs disappoint:

1 Like

Glowing

35 Likes