System Pics 2024

Hopefully have my new D10x next Saturday dealer said a week looking forwards to having in my system…

2 Likes

Top 5 in terms of hierarchy is:

CD555
CDS3
CDS2
CDS
CDX2.2

The hierarchy is 555, CDS, CDX, 5 series, 3 series.

The CDI and CD2 were precursors to the CDX.

The rest after top 5 is:

CDX2
CDX
CDI
CD2

CD5xs
CD5X
CD5
CD5si
CD5i
CD5i

CD3.5
CD3

What you need to factor in is that many of these CD players need power supplies and some can be changed with optional power supplies.

The CD5xs and CDX2.2 have digital out. So they can be upgraded with external DAC and used as digital transports.

7 Likes

Excellent news. I bet you are very excited.
I was just thinking during this morning’s listening session how wonderful the music sounds from it. It’s a real pleasure to listen to and everything sounds so real and dynamic, especially with well recorded and mastered classical, Jazz, Blues, acoustic and Rock.
Not sure if you have any SACDs but these sound truly amazing. Again, mostly classical in my case but these well recorded albums are so dynamic. Strings such as cello and violin are to die for. I suppose it’s my whole system here but nevertheless the D-10X is a fabulous source.
Looking forward to seeing some pictures of your system.

20 Likes

Oh, regarding ‘burn in’. Just keep it powered up 24/7 and play as many CDs you can as soon as you can. I just listened during the whole process and enjoyed every minute :grin:

3 Likes

Do they make their own sacd mechanism?

They make their own very substantial drive.

IMG_1311

11 Likes

Thats reassuring

2 Likes

It’s definitely a serious piece of engineering. The way the disc tray glides out/in is a pleasure to see and use. So silky smooth and silent.
I really don’t know how many hours of play time it’s now had but easily into 1000’s. Never put a foot wrong so far.
I work from home so easy to clock up play time. I’m very lucky in this respect :grin:

3 Likes

Thank for reply i am certainly looking forward to it and i did change the 300dr for the luxman 509z which is very impressive no regrets changing from 300.

Last one from me…After a busy day of cable dressing I’ve now got things zen :upside_down_face:

30 Likes

That looks fantastic now! So much better! Loving the massive power cables! I found they are quite heavy and almost pull down slightly.

I bought an HB labs one with furutech plug and IEC. Very good cable. But went full powerline loom after experimenting.

I like what you have done with the changes of location and the new 300DR.

How does it sound?

1 Like

Thanks Dan and you’re right about the power cables, gravity does it job and they definitely pull down on the inlet. To be honest, I cannot tell any difference between these very expensive cables and my DIY versions. Lucky I got them at great price :upside_down_face:

I’m terms of the sound, I have been on my Naim hifi journey for circa 4-5 years now, and whilst I’ve always been happy with the sound, the way it sounds now has really delivered what I had hoped for and then some.

I can’t stop sitting here and listening to more music for once (rather than tweaking cables etc constantly). Thanks for all your advice and tips :+1:

3 Likes

You’ve just changed power amp, positioning of system and power cables. So that’s alot to take in.

Let it all settle down. Those power cables will be very good. I went powerline loom as all the 500DR stuff came with powerlines and I had 4 beforehand. So have ended up with about 9. I like powerlines.

But other cables are very good too. Have used Chord, powerline lites and the standard Naim power cables.

1 Like

Agree Dan

I now have powerlines on my Nait 50’s

Massive improvement all round :+1:

2 Likes

Lights out and everything shut down for 4-5 weeks. Sleep well my black boxes. :grin:

61 Likes

Go well young man.

2 Likes

In the higher end players yes. I’ve got their baby D-N150 CD player and the looks of the mech make me think it’s a Sony as it looks like the mech in my old Linn Mimik II and Arcam Alpha One which both used identical Sony mechs also. Even so, the overall build quality is incredible. I’ve got an expensive Naim system and the lower cost entry level Luxman system. The build quality and finish on the Luxman being about an order of magnitude superior to the Naim - it pains me to admit. The precision of assembly is just amazing.

3 Likes

All the best Pete - I didn’t know you had an audiolab cdp or cdt?

1 Like

Thanks, it’s a transport got from you know who.

Great

Keep us posted on progress if you so desire :+1:

2 Likes