System Pics 2024

It was a good build part from loads of very small pieces, that form the cobble floor and inside the box , you have a choice of two interiors, I went for the vintage one

10 Likes

System update. All Naim kids know how much fun it is streaming to legacy Classic kit over wi-fi, so I thought I’d test the waters with an alternative while the house building work is ongoing (the dust - OMG).

Enter stage left a Bluesound Node N130 bought secondhand, and paired with my friends Topping DAC E30 playing into the analogue input on my UnitiQute2. My goodness, what a pleasant surprise. For local streaming duties it sounds preferable to my UQ2, and operationally the software is an absolute delight, if a little ‘busy’ in design for my liking. Also enjoying the (unexpected) uplift in SQ when using Airplay instead of Bluetooth for podcasts.

A few minor (initial) operational issues aside, such as setting up the file sharing on the Mac, and also the Node didn’t like being operated via legacy BluOS on a very old iPad Air (fine on my iPhone SE2, and my wife’s iPad Air5). Other than that it has been a joy, and I can understand why BluOS gets so widely praised. I’m now starting to wonder how much better the Node would sound used as a transport into a really swish DAC.

28 Likes

Thank you for the interior view, it looks like a cool build, another on the list to buy!

3 Likes

Following this thread as so many others do but never seen a turntable from SME, thought it was quite a big brand, in the UK?:thinking:

2 Likes

There are at least 3 SME owners here. The last is @Cohen1263 , but he didn’t updated his profile.

2 Likes

There’s a story there Rooster. All I can say for now is that I no longer own it.

1 Like

Just curious why you used the E30 vs the UQ’s digital input? Are you doing AV Fixed volume control? Lovely looking system!

1 Like

Solstice again ? Or which one? If I don’t bother you.

2 Likes

The excitement builds

1 Like

No way I’d go back to the Solstice Rooster. It has to be an Radikal/ LP12/Keel/ ARO with my DVXV1t. I still have the cartridge and the Superline/ Supercap so it’s an easy switch. The LP12 in the above guise is a great deck and in Peter Swain there’s a dealer who really knows how to make the deck sing. I doubt that it will go wrong either but if it does I trust Linn to deal with it. I will report back on the SME debacle after the dust settles. But I didn’t lose any money and it has given me a the “push” I needed to move toward active.

9 Likes

Brilliant well said

1 Like

Going to ask the same, I was thinking of pairing my UQ with my CDx2.2 ( it has digital only output) .

At the moment it is acting as DAC for my rather good Blu Ray player and Sky Box

I know Topping make good DACs , but why not use the DAC in the UQ?

Best wishes

@el_soldado and @Ian2001 A couple of reasons why I didn’t use the UQ2 internal DAC. Firstly, I don’t have a decent coaxial cable, but I do think the Topping came with an optical cable, which I may try feeding the internal UQ2 DAC. Secondly, the main reason being I just wanted to tray a completely different source out of pure curiosity, and I still had the DAC on loan. The pairing do make an eyebrow raising duo when you factor in the price.

The Topping improved the Node quite a bit. Mainly opening up the soundstage even more, and also calming a little sibilance I was getting on some tracks.

4 Likes

Thank you

Best wishes

Ian

1 Like

Here is a fun (or maybe not) variant; your system. From the garden. At night. I accept that it may be a challenge for those with systems that are upstairs and where you don’t have a balcony.

45 Likes

There you go. Sorry, left speaker not very well visible since I took this photo a week ago or so for a different reason.

27 Likes

This kind of photography will be difficult to manage for me without a drone :laughing:

6 Likes

Excellent!

1 Like

Very elegant indeed!