System Pics 2024

All hail 2/3rds width components !

20 Likes

That CD player looks familiar. I bought a Meridian 206B for £50 off a colleague about 3 years ago. I use it along side my equally elderly Audio Note CD player. Both sound excellent still. They have about 65 years between them.

1 Like

£50 was a serious bargain!

2 Likes

It’s taken a good few hours to get them positioned, and I’m sure there are some incremental moments to be had as they break in but currently sounding so fluid.

Whilst positioning them took the advice from Dynaudio master class, and yes I was able to get an amazing setup if I was in one positioning, but in meant the sound was so compromised in any other place other than the perfect, fixed listening position. Also would have meant a really solo experience.

Took a while to find that better for me compromise of very decent sound in most of the cabin and not nailed down to one “hot spot”.

Now listening to the exquisite Here it is, a tribute to Leonard Cohen, sounds gorgeous.

Quick question, based on how this sounds I am now wondering if a tweeter can go gradually or just in a blaze of glory. Playing Vinyl in the cabin is sounding brilliantly involving and my listening memory is saying it wasn’t sounding like this for a while, so just wondered if tweeters can go off over a period of time before they finally just die?

Will wait till speakers run in before attempting sub integration.

7 Likes

Always wanted a 206b back in the day but could never quite stretch to it, from memory was about £1000 or thereabouts in 92?

1 Like

Interesting system set ups from an interesting channel - Naim amplification mentioned…

3 Likes

Crikey… ‘Prominent’ … well…! I wasn’t the first to try a 10X with E Boards - I got the idea from someone on here who had already done it (*). Just a Copy Cat really… :black_cat:

I cannot comment regarding the Thorens arm mentioned, as I have no knowledge of experience. I intiaily use a 10X in a Rega R200 arm, as fitted to a Rega Planar 2. Next I had a Rega R200 on an LP12. The R200 was then replaced with a Linn Ittok (in 1982).

Until 2021, I was using Naim N boards. First in a 42, then a 72 and now in an 82 (albeit these are 5xx series, not 3xx series).

I do not believe the DV10X is particularly demanding on the arm its used with - but I have largely used my various 10X’s in my Linn Ittok.

Hope thats useful… :thinking:

( * - one other person I know of is @SteveC , using e boards with a 10X)

2 Likes

Around 4:50 he mentions he has a SuperNight 1 !!! :laughing:

1 Like

I’ve posted this photo

before, but I still think that the Troika is the most aesthetically pleasing hi-fi item ever made!

(The photo was taken as I was having things set up by Peter Swain, the spirit level doesn’t live on the Keel/A armboard )

14 Likes

I saw this while it was in Leicester, and it looks even better in the flesh!!

1 Like

I owe Mr Swain an (unplayed) LP of Carlos Kleiber’s Beethoven Fifth Symphony, which might persuade a few more Cymbiosis customers that the LP12/ARO/Troika is the best way to listen to music!

I still have my Ultimo cartridge that came with my LP 12 & Hadcock 228. Couldn’t bear getting rid of it so it lives in the Hadcock box!

1 Like

Hi, the Little NAIT50 sounds like a pro…they are different but i prefer the NAIT for its ability to do everything well

1 Like

I agree that the cartridge does look rather nice, I’m not so sure about the arm though. The fixings and finger lift rather remind me of Meccano. However, sound trumps looks

This does look rather smart, and to me, sounds rather good too

10 Likes

Some may recall my mentioning doing demos recently with regard to main system and speakers. I’ve concluded aforesaid demos and am now the owner of different box (singular) and speakers. Gone down the same route as @DiggyGun and moved to Linn Selekt DSM actively driving Kudos 606 speakers. I do still have a Naim Qb2 in the dining room which I suspect my dealer would like to upgrade to something in the Atom range, I’ve made no promises. New system as per photo below. Apologies in advance for poor quality.

30 Likes

Time for an SL2 pic

they sound sublime, no urge to change these…

43 Likes

Well done and enjoy your new system.

DG…

1 Like

:grin: care to expand on his profession? I bet he’s not like me an IT Engineer !!

1 Like

Part time teacher and musician!

1 Like