System power off/on

60 Watts continuous equates to 1.44 kWatts hours over the day, so the same as a 2kW heater on for just under 45 mins each day. Not enough to heat a room spread throughout the day unless it was a well insulated small bedroom possibly.

Does anybody remember those little electric heaters that you would put in the airing cupboard to keep clothes warm and dry, as I think they were 60Watts, so you could heat your airing cupboard with a few Naim boxes

2 Likes

Gonna dry my socks on the 555ps :joy:

2 Likes

We have one of those in the airing cupboard since we got a condenser boiler with no hot tank. It’s actually a 40W tubular greenhouse heater.

We now just need a Naim Fraim top shelf that takes a Clothes Maiden on the top connected via spikes. I’m sure the clothes would help with acoustic room treatment.

Definitely not good for the health unless it’s green or herbal tea

After they have been washed i hope :rofl:

In a complete strip down and rebuild to incorporate two Fraim towers the whole system was switched off for the thick end of two days.
With a clean up, plugging and unplugging and the new Fraim’s there was an immediate improvement.
It was at least two weeks before it went from really good to wow!
Simple: if you power down you save some money, you also loose a lot of what Naim does best by being left on.

1 Like

Couldnt agree more.

Heat and noise.

and of course sound waves generate a bit of heat as they travel and also end up as heat when they are absorbed

1 Like

As does dancing. If I play something my wife likes to dance to it only takes 10 mins and a sip of wine to take the chill off :joy:

1 Like

That was my point. (And any idle noise as well as movement of speaker cones also eventually ends up as heat)

1 Like

Regarding the graph in post 6, given that no one from Naim has disputed the figures in subsequent posts, can it be taken that they are broadly correct in terms of keeping a system in standby? Just a question to inform future decision making and noting the comments of potentially reduced performance.

What’s there to dispute, they were measured with a wattmeter, and anyway they are in line with the figures published by Naim on the product web pages under specifications and/or in manuals. It’s also quite low at least for power amps.

E.g., the power amp reference manual:

Post #6:

As my figures were originally documented for my own use, I should probably add here that the NAP250 is Olive, NAPSC part of my Olive NAC82, and both the HiCap and XPS are DR.

Gosh those are depressing numbers! Especially with 4 135s, 2 SCs and a HiCap. The surprise for me though was the NAPSC. It does all sound better left on, though. Perhaps that’s even more the case with older, Olive gear like mine. It does look like actually making music with it isn’t that much more. And the room I have it in does feel a bit warmer!

Of course if you go back 12 months when electricity was cheaper, then those costs would be halved, and therefore less depressing.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.