Target audience for the new classic range

Innocent Bystander,

Just noticed from your profile you run MB2’s - absolutely gorgeous loudspeakers!! I spent some time up at PMC in the summer enjoying the MB2 XBD - utterly awe inspiring experience!! However I think we need a pic of you next to yours holding obligatory mug of tea like a certain Robbie Williams!

Robbie

3 Likes

How do you know that’s not IB in the picture already ?

10 Likes

Whoever their target market is there’s no doubt it’s shrinking imo as most young folk are only interested in the music they play on their phones (and cars). There will always be the odd one out but it won’t be the same number or interest as the baby boomers and their kids that were part of a music revolution. That revolution is over and subsequent generations now take it for granted. I hope I’m wrong.

1 Like

Unfortunately you’re not wrong :cry:

2 Likes

Hi Jonathan,

Many thanks for the reply and additional clarification. I’m probably the only person on the forum who mentally pushed your in bracket comment down to the next line as well - my bad :man_facepalming: Much clearer now.

As an aside I do like computers and computing. You could recommend some of your colleagues upgrade to “Lorentz” over “Enigma” if they are concerned over releasing pay details. I like you spent my life with my pay scale being readily available to the public.

Must confess I used minor upgrades and P/X to get to my current position. Funds will constrain my improving it much more but perhaps the new range will allow me to pick up a minor update via second hand market.

1 Like

Same here when working in the public sector, but different when I was in the private sector. Interestingly where one of my sons now works they are expressly forbidden to inform work colleagues how much they earn. I don’t know what the penalty is, but regarding any bonuses (something the private sector commonly gets, unlike public sector), it was made clear that if they learned that someone had disclosed their amount, it would be the last bonus that person would ever receive. Clearly to me pay in such businesses is based on what the employer ‘needs’ to pay to hire each person and retain them, and someone can be very happy with their pay or bonus one moment, but learning someone else is earning more instantly turns the happy employee into an unhappy disgruntled one.

What amps did they use preamp, power etc at your pmc visit?

Haha, of course … yet, unless things have already changed - I think may be because on average cars are generally a bit more expensive than a stereo?

I simply meant as a ball park % of the income at any point in time - simple, not per year, no slips, please!:))) … And at 10% I am probably ridiculous, I know - I mean it’s coming from a hifiholic who admits to needing help!

Seriously, leaving all the easy and predictable excuses and justifications, how much does one really need to enjoy listening to good music and not A-B comparisons? Blimey, some say you don’t even need to own a Naim to do that?? Who knows? (and for the record, I think that’s clearly wrong!)

I remember in 2008, my wife, wryly commenting that my Naim system was one of my best investments in the previous 10 years!

Naim amplification and speakers still going strong in our house in 2023 – I don’t suppose I have any other electrical item that has lasted as long.

I don’t think psychologically I could spend a similar amount again, however, as if I were starting off something like the Dutch 8C, all in one, would certainly be where I would head.

Considering the advances in so many other areas and the relative fall in price of electronics, e.g. televisions, computers, etc hi-Fi really does buck trends and has moved in to the niche/aspirational market to some extent.

But all in all, it’s probably better than a crack cocaine habit so chacun a son goût.

.sjb

2 Likes

No statistician here, but wouldn’t mean be a better comparator than median? Couldn’t the Median be skewed by a tiny number of astronomically high earners? (Or even just one, come to that).

That’s the good stuff about the median - it’s the one bang in the middle so not influenced by the absolute value of the single extremes, however influenced if there would be a high number of these extremely high or low values at either extreme - which may shift the median.

1 Like

You’re literally thinking of the opposite.

1 Like

If it’s bang in the middle, then by definition it IS influenced by a single change at one of the extremes - the “middle” changes straight away.

Yes but not impacted by the value of the extreme just by the fact there is another number. So it will move one place up. The average would increase proportionally.

.sjb

If it moves one place up it’s no longer the middle. The middle value has changed.

I think the wise and learned @NigelB combines both hobbies.

Perfect! :yum:

It’s not influenced by a change in the absolute value of a single or several item at the extreme end, but only by the number of such items on that side (of the middle). And the change of the median is expressed by it then being replaced by one of the items adjacent to it as the current median (so again not strictly related how huge the value of the extremes is or in other words how crazy a few at the extremes are)

2 Likes

It’s the other way round. Consider a small town when two people earning much bigger salaries move in. The effect on the median is to raise it to the level of the lowest earner above the median, which is likely to be a small change. But the mean is likely to go up by a significant amount.

The median is often used precisely because it is less sensitive to extremes.

Lecture over, sorry.

Roger

3 Likes

From statology.org " It’s best to use the mean to describe the center of a dataset when the distribution is mostly symmetrical and there are no outliers. It is best to use the median when the distribution is either skewed or there are outliers present."

1 Like

Does the dataset have outliers in reality? Nobody stated that either way. … Anyway, you guys are evidently more knowledgeable, so I’m leaving it there.