Target audience for the new classic range

Income distributions are not symmetrical: hard stop at 0 and on the other end the sky is the limit. There are also a lot of “outliers” - just look at how far the income of the top 0.1% or even top 1% is from the median.

As a suggestion, take a look at the chart with number of individuals per income bracket here.

1 Like

As above.

If we are talking about high earners in a statistical sense then they could be described as outliers :rofl: in that they do not fit with the rest of the data in a statistical sense

It would be interesting to see the distribution for Naim owners

As above

The hard part of a discussion is that you don’t often get to unilaterally stop others from posting follow-up comments, especially when you’re still questioning it on your very last “leaving it there” post. :wink:

Say what you want, but no need to address it to me.

I think medians and means can be rather misleading - imagine 2 people who are very hungry and have one huge steak between them (and, yes imagine in this example both of these particular individuals like steak very much!). Now, as it happens, one of them eats the whole steak, the other eats nothing at all. On average, however, they are fine?
Now imagine 2 Naim devoted audiophiles bitten severely by the upgrade bug are at the dealer with only the very last NSC222 left … ouch!

How much of the gross family income am I allowed to spend on dining out? Travels ? Concerts ?

1 Like

As much as your partner will allow.

Target audience for the new range… ?
I am :slight_smile:
Imagining a 3series or 5 series pre with that look does tempt me…
Like the look and think I would love the sound as well.

Naim is Doing it the Right way.
There is a fantastic mu-so to get your first dose of the drug … than there is uniti in different stages.
Now a 200 new classic …

1 Like

Disregarding the misuse of the terms median and mean, income levels don’t matter too much above a certain floor income. Discretionary income is a better indicator and that will vary considerably across cohorts. For me, hifi is competing against motorbikes for my time and money. When I lived in Chicago and suffered those ridiculous winters my hifi budget was more compared to my moto budget. Now that I live in the US southwest more of my budget goes to motos and other outdoor activities. So wrt the OP the target market is not much different than in the past.

2 Likes

A musical interlude if I may.

2 Likes

I agree with this. I think I am the target audience too! I bought a Muso, loved it. Than an Atom and loved that too. Upgraded the Atom to a Nova. Now just ordered a new 250. In my opinion, the Muso, then the Uniti are great gateways into the range.

I guess I’m at a stage where I am “building a system”. Possibly next a 222, maybe a 300 psu, new speakers, but who knows. That may be different to a lot of people here with incredible systems that have taken decades to build.

1 Like

The longer you stay, the more you pay!

2 Likes

Indeed, no-one needs hifi. And if they want to listen to music an all-in-one costing a couple of £hundred will enable with a lot of flexibility. No-one needs a TV, a camera, if they need a mobile phone the most basic will do, if they live somewhere where public transport doesn’t meet their truly essential requirements an old banger can be bought for a few £hundred and with use minimised could last many years and chosen carefully need not cost a lot to run. Whilst cars do cost more than hifi, not by much - you can spend from a few £hundred secondhand to £250k+ on both. It is all a matter of choice - what matters is that people don’t get into trouble spending more than they can afford, while leaving enough money for things that actually are essential, whether that is spending 2%, 10% or 50% of their annual income on any one or multiple indulgences.

@drago @BobbyYork

People like yourselves are the future of Naim!

Can I ask did you have previous hi-fi at home before you bought your first Mu-so or was that your first toes in the hi-if water?

.sjb

Ok, I didn’t think that my hypothetical sanity level (nothing more than thought provoking) of 10% of the family annual income of most people here on this forum spent on a hifi would put them in the basic level categories you describe above?:))
… I would say 10% puts them well within the top 1% of people owning some hifi?

Yes, quite a few things over the years. I had a year out between school and university. With the money I earned working that year I bought a second hand set of Kenwood quasi separates (separate physical boxes, but odd interconnect “bands”). Those saw me through Uni and I loved them. Quite a few other bits and bobs over the years then in about 2016 I bought the Muso to replace a b&w zeppelin. So impressed was I with it that when it came to replace a Rotel amp that I was using in a different room to power some b&w 685s I tried the atom and loved it. And now I seem to be hooked!?

Possibly related, I remember my Dad buying a Fisher “stack” in ca. 1986… with a CD player! Money for Nothing on repeat, obviously. I remember that being the best thing I’d ever seen (seen only - I wasn’t allowed to touch it) and heard. Maybe that planted the seed.

4 Likes

My first toes are centuries ago… do not ask what it was.
First nam is end of 80s.
Muso is one of the last gear I bought. Collected and build olive setup over years…

Nevertheless I like the new range. Must have an ear on it.
By now I am totally in love with the olive sound.

Not sure where you got your figures. Are they median, average (not the same thing)?
You have to take into account the cost of living too.

1 Like