Tarting up my beauties finished

This stuff fits the standoffs but I need to glue that again to the standoffs. It sticks to the Velcro.

Now those, I like!

Especially having watch Pixie running up the nicely sloped front of the RH speaker, before attempting to launch herself onto the Sondek!

1 Like

Nice, I’ve the skill and the tools to make something similar.
might have a go one day,

While I have your attention, do you know what is the best silicone to use on the gasket?
Would any generic silicone work?
Thanks

Loctite 595. Amazon, for around seven quid.

And don’t forget the Fairy Liquid!

2 Likes

Yea, I think that’s what I’ve used as well.

Did 1 tube do both speakers?

Dunno, never had to redo the seals, even after driving them cross-country 50 miles. But It’s quite a big tube, so you’ll have no problems. A thin bead is all you need on one face of the gasket (can’t remember whether top or bottom, but the info is out there somewhere). The Fairly Liquid goes on the other face.

Markie does great grilles!

They traveled 100miles to get to me,
Need to travel another 50 to get them to mine, (got boxes)
So probably going to need doing,

You attach the gasket to the lower box and then smear the fairy liquid - I used Ecover - on the gasket before applying a bead of silicone. You don’t put the Ecover on the middle box. SBLs should never be transported without being taken apart. The movement will make the spikes dig into the veneer on the bottom of the middle box. When this happens, the pads need to be removed and the holes filled, before attaching new pads.

1 Like

So Loctite upper and lower faces? With the upper Loctite on top of the Fairy?

Ah’ that makes sense.

Thanks for that

I don’t know what you mean by upper and lower. Stick the gasket on the bottom box. Add the Ecover. Add the silicone. Put the bass box on top. Press down so the spikes indent the pads. Push in the bass unit and make sure it takes a few seconds to come out. If that happens, the seal is ok and you are good to go.

Stick the gasket to the lower box with Loctite, or something else? Or re the gaskets self adhesive on the bottom face?

I have a kit somewhere, but never used it as my seals are still good.

I put cardboard in between before I moved them,
But I understand where your coming
But not until I’ve got them looking their best and moved then I will attempt to to put them back together,

The gasket is usually self-adhesive on one side, this just sticks onto the bottom box, but make sure it’s clean etc first.
Once the gaskets are attached (with nicely cut corners so each of the four pieces ‘butt’ together) and as long as a thin smear of washing liquid is applied on top of them, they shouldn’t need replacing. This makes removing the silicone very easy.
The silicone shouldn’t ‘spill’ over the gasket even once the top box is placed over & lightly pressed down (the spikes shouldn’t go through the thin metal pads)

1 Like

Check the seals are ok on the tubes inside the lower cabinet. When I did mine these were shot but I managed (with difficulty ! ) to remove and replace the old silicone without any more dismantling.

Hungry Halibut…when you say the cones should take a few seconds to come out, how many roughly? Mine take less than 2 to come out…is that too quickly?

Clive

If they ping out immediately, the seal is compromised. If they come out slowly, it’s fine. A couple of seconds sounds ok to me.

1 Like